Apple Offering Pre-Approvals to iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Ahead of iPhone 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

Please just compare the screen sizes to the total demensions of the devices and tell me again that the difference is minimal.

Small bezels have become almost standart now and for an 800 Dollar phone these bezels are way to big in my opinion. This phone is just as expensive like the 6 was 3 years ago and sells for a higher price than the 6 did. Yet, it still has the same resolution, the same screen to total size ratio and so on.
    For me this is a no go, especially considering the competition, but if you like it, by all means, buy it.

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that all of these figures are "list prices". Remember last year, after a few days, all of the carriers had significant promotions.

My brother-in-law was able to trade his old iPhone 5 in for an iPhone 7 and he rec'd $400 in trade toward the 7, netting his monthly cost on the 7 down to about $10/mo for 24 months.

3. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

I agree people should only blame themselves. I personally would not buy a $1000 phone or finance one for that matter, but it is a fact way too many people rationalize spending the money. Especially when companies offer ways to make it easier. In the US, consumer debt is rising to the same levels it was at before the housing crash.

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Can I make 12 payments on my current phone to be eligible? I've had it since May (old one broke...)

5. vixster1901 macrumors regular

vixster1901

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not true. I did not have a hard credit check for my second year. And I will find out tomorrow if my pre-approval gave me a hard pull or not.

There are dozens of members that reported the same thing last year on upgrade. No hard pull.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Again wrong. Check out the dozens of threads from last year.

7. Hectx macrumors newbie

Nope, when they got ride of the subsidized phones the price actually went up on my service. I've been on the AT&T unlimited plan since I got an iPhone 3G. I think it was $35 or $40 a month. Technically ~$5 of that went to allowing me to upgrade every 2 years. I got my iPhone 6s Plus for $400 (200 base but 100 for the plus and 100 for 64gb).

1 week after the my dropped the subsidized phones, my grandfathered plan went up $5.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Pay off the balance. Reset it to factory settings. Remove it from you iCloud (find my iPhone). Remove it from your Verizon account and make sure it is unlocked. Then sell it for cash on Craigslist, Letgo or similar local classifieds. You'll get more for it than the upgrade program.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yep. Got the same response last year. And had no hard credit pull.
    Not entirely true. Depends entirely on the area and how flooded the market is. Living in LA, I hardly ever see a 50% return after one year. The market is saturated. IUP is a guaranteed 50% with zero hassle or risk.

10. VanillaCracker, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

My comment wasn't supposed to have to do with how expensive $50 seems for one's budget. It's the thought that the X is not worth the difference of cost. Just my opinion, but I was underwhelmed. The camera features are the same, and same SOC. Worse interface, and better display.

11. fonzy91 macrumors newbie

Thanks to Brexit prices from international companies are only gonna get higher.

12. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

You bought your iPhone 6 three years ago, and the starting price was $649. Your "realized value" calculation is off.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You don’t have to upgrade. You can pay off the phone and own it after 24 months. Car leasing is when you have to trade in the car after the time period and start over. Here, you can just keep making payments until you own it outright.
    In order to upgrade you must have been part of the program for 6 months and have made payments in the value of 12 payments.

14. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

15. Razeus macrumors 601

I'll be sticking with my 6S Plus.

In 2017 and still no edge to edge to display without paying through the nose is ridiculous.

I'll wait until the iPhone X is a normal, mainstream price.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's not as bad as he makes out, the UK program is 20 months, the US one is 24 months.

17. carpleror macrumors regular

Only other option would be to buy the phone at full price. Choosing which one is better is really up to you, and your financial situation/concerns. If you have perfect credit and usually don't apply for credit often, than maybe one credit check a year outweighs the added expense of switching. If you have bad credit, have plans to apply for credit soon, or are super concerned about how one credit check a year will affect your credit profile, than maybe it's better to just take the monetary hit now, for peace of mind during future upgrades. Also, if you have bad credit and are concerned that you may not be approved in the future, it may be better for you to make the switch now so you don't have to worry every year whether or not you will be approved (I'm not sure what they look for in terms of credit worthiness).

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor nor am I an expert in credit, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Also, I'm just offering up options, I'm not going to comment on smart financial management.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don’t believe so as you need to go through a carrier.

19. xterratop macrumors member

And to add to that, when they do a hard credit check, you get docked points from your credit score whether you qualify or not. That sucks.

20. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

One hard credit check per year will not adversely impact your credit. I've been on the Upgrade program since it launched in 2015 and my credit score is over 750!

21. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

thanks so much

22. zapm macrumors newbie

zapm

I completely agree with you. My post was suppose to be sarcastic..

23. carpleror macrumors regular

Apple has offered a solution to it's bezels, and you don't like it. Therefore, you have no right to complain about Apple's bezels...

24. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

No one said freedom was going to be cheap.

25. chiefsilverback, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

Don't use the word "subsidy" when it comes to those contracts, they weren't subsidized, they just gave you a loan you didn't know about and kept taking the monthly payments long after the phone was paid off!