Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Well there's a slippery slope logic fallacy if I've ever seen one...

Well, I am not saying that it is going to be like it but think about it: Mac Os delayed for the iOS. Updates later and later with few innovations (remember when most of the updates had something really new in it and not only a faster processor). iPad and iPhone before Mac (see OS), form above function (Antennagate), only glossy displays, and only 27 with mini-display port... I am getting worried where Apple will be 5 years from now. They ditched the Computer out of their name a while ago...

Unless they plan to come out later with another size but than why ditch the smaller version, doesn't make sense...

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Discontinuing 24" Monitor why?

How come they will be discontinuing the 24" Display? I own the 24" LED Display. Is there any reason to get the 27" display if you already own the 24"? Won't text on the 27" be smaller? That's one reason that I want to stick with the 24" because text becomes too tiny at 27" displays resolution.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Meh, there's plenty of monitors out there to choose from. It really does not have to have a fruit on it.

Despite the fact that they say "Dell" on them, a pair of 24" U2410 beauties work wonders for me... matte IPS display, 16x10 ratio, multi-card reader, USB2 hub, all kinds of inputs including HDMI and DisplayPort, and almost half the cost as . No, it isn't LED, but if that's the only negative, I'm over it. (A Logitech 9000 takes care of the webcam part.)

Apple's monitors are now consumer-based, not geek-based. We really shouldn't even be crying about this.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Even though there is a resolution and size loss, I don't think people would be so upset if Apple had a Matte version as well.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
Seems odd not to have a 24" and a 27" LED Screen.

Heck, since they're at it why don't they also discontinue the 13 and 15 inch MBPs?

On a second thought, they also 'discontinued' the 24 inch iMac once the 27 inch came out... What they should do is offer a 21.5 inch monitor too, to be consistent.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
What do you do with the notebook power connector if you're not using a notebook? Hot glue the edges of the little cap on it to keep it from falling off by accident?

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
I just don't understand why is Apple killing the 24 inch LED, the 30 inch for one thing but why the 24" seems kinda odd, Maybe more sizes will be available at a later time is my guess but i'm not waiting anymore just going to pick up the 27 inch in september, For 2yrs been using a 17 inch on my 08 Mac Pro

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
They need a 30" with retina display.
End of discussion.
...and it has to fit in your pocket and have 450+ hours of battery life.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
RIP 30" cinema display. I remember the days when the 23" ACD was huge.

They need a 30" with retina display.
End of discussion.
...and it has to fit in your pocket and have 450+ hours of battery life.

I heard that's coming out next Tuesday, and the Tuesday after that, and so on.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Companies love 16:9 Computer Screens, they can be made with the same factory equipment as TVs. Expect to find it difficult to get another 30" monitor in a couple of years.

If they made a 32" monitor with a bigger pixel count...

The 16:9 ratio doesn't really bother me. The loss in physical screen size and number of pixels does bother me though. A 2844x1600 30" screen would have been fine. A 32" with a 3072x1728 screen would be more like it though. I'm sure Apple will eventually release such a screen though and they'll probably market it with a whole "we listened to our customers, they loved the size of our old 30" screen and loved the DPI of our 27" screen. So now we introduce the best of both world, the 32" high res screen".

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Well, the 30" certainly isn't a surprise; the fact that they hadn't updated it in a while was a clue.

The 24", however, I find quite surprising. In fact, I was hoping they would come out with a smaller (read: more affordable) display, too--but instead they went in the other direction. I guess they're content leaving the "good displays for normal people" market to Dell and catering to people with loads of cash to blow who want a huge glossy screen (and one that leaves an awkward MagSafe cord hanging if you're not using it on a MacBook or MacBook Pro).

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I don't know why Apple doesn't offer a variety of sizes for the cinema display..

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Next step - ditch MacOS in favor of iOS for consumer devices, programs only installable via application store, ditch the Macintosh in favor of the Pads...?

How will anyone actually write any iOS apps in that case?

--Eric

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
No surprise they're dropping the 30-inch. Actually I thought they already had.

Strange though not keeping the 24 around. Must not be profitable for them. After all if you're going to drop the $$$ on a Mac Pro, what's the point of saving a couple hundred on small display.

I assume some day we'll get a 30+ inch LED.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple won't ditch OS X for iOS until iOS can do everything OS X can do. So don't worry.

As for the displays, I was hoping for a smaller, cheaper option. What exactly is the benefit of buying a $1000 external display vs the what, $1700 27" iMac? I guess if you don't need the computer? Otherwise, aren't they similarly spec'd IPS LED backlit panels?

I bought a perfectly fine 26" H-IPS panel 1920x1200 with polarizer and 4 USB port hub for $600 over two years ago. It's an odd brand (Doublesight?) but had a name brand panel when I researched it (can't rememer which). It has great viewing angles and wide color gamut that I actually had to restrict because it was too much! Works great for graphic design when calibrated with a Spyder3. I even use it to play Halo 3 on my xBox and watch Netflix. I think for now I'll just stick with 3rd party manufacturers. Apple clearly isn't committed to this area. The aesthetics are top notch, however, but nobody visits my back office anyway! Black plastic will have to do.

Now let's get those quad core MBP's next year!

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
why would they do this?
The computer monitor market is cut-throat. Apple is probably finding it difficult to compete while still maintaining their margins.

This is probably just their token monitor offering for those who insist on having an Apple display. They are likely buying 27" screens at a more favorable price since there's an iMac that may be using the same part.

There is no such advantage for the 24" nor 30" screens.

It would be safe to expect in the future that Apple only offers one monitor at the same size of the screen of the largest iMac. If you want a different sized monitor, buy from a third-party monitor manufacturer. It appears that Apple is willing to concede that low-margin market (just like they have conceded the netbook marketplace).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.