Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

085851-27inch.jpg

Although we already noted this fact as a footnote in today's 27" LED Cinema Display announcement article, we felt it important to point out -- Apple has officially discontinued the 24" and 30" Apple Cinema Displays. Going forward, today's 27" LED Cinema Display will be the only display offered by Apple. Per Macworld:
At the same time, this marks the end of the road for the 24-inch and 30-inch Apple displays. According to Apple vice president of hardware marketing David Moody, those products will continue to be sold until supplies run out, at which point the new 27-inch display will be Apple's only standalone offering.
The new monitor offers the same horizontal resolution as the now discontinued 30" display at 2650 across, though fewer pixels vertically (1440 vs 1600). The 30" has been the topic of much speculation as Apple has left the large screen display relatively stagnant over the years. Apple's focus on portable products is apparent as the 27" LED Display appears to be primarily targeted at laptop owners.

Apple will continue to sell the 24" and 30" LCDs until stock runs out.

Article Link: Apple Officially Discontinues 30-Inch and 24-Inch Cinema Displays

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ah well, looks like if my 30" ACD ever gives up the ghost (touches wood and prays that it doesn't), I'll have to take my money elsewhere. 27" and less pixels just doesn't cut it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The lack of any tech specs on the LED Display page was sort of making that obvious.

Though, with the further decline in Apple Display choices the DisplayPort now seems even more like a rather silly port standard.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Another hint that Apple really doesn't care about its computers any more. 27 glossy with laptop connector only? Pros finally updated about 6-9 months late (too lazy to check), MBA now not really updated since what, 2008?

Next step - ditch MacOS in favor of iOS for consumer devices, programs only installable via application store, ditch the Macintosh in favor of the Pads...?

SJ used to be the icon, I am afraid he is more and more getting the focal point of unsatisfied mac lovers...

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Another hint that Apple really doesn't care about its computers any more. 27 glossy with laptop connector only? Pros finally updated about 6-9 months late (too lazy to check), MBA now not really updated since what, 2008?

Next step - ditch MacOS in favor of iOS for consumer devices, programs only installable via application store, ditch the Macintosh in favor of the Pads...?

SJ used to be the icon, I am afraid he is more and more getting the focal point of unsatisfied mac lovers...

Well there's a slippery slope logic fallacy if I've ever seen one...

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It is surprising that they would only want to offer a 27" monitor, as it may simply be too big for some people. It would have made sense to keep offering the 24" ACD. Are there maybe more monitors coming our way? Or is this maybe SJ telling us: Thou shalt not use a monitor smaller than 27!"

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Ah well, looks like if my 30" ACD ever gives up the ghost (touches wood and prays that it doesn't), I'll have to take my money elsewhere. 27" and less pixels just doesn't cut it.

Companies love 16:9 Computer Screens, they can be made with the same factory equipment as TVs. Expect to find it difficult to get another 30" monitor in a couple of years.

If they made a 32" monitor with a bigger pixel count...

Well there's a slippery slope logic fallacy if I've ever seen one...

You haven't spent a lot of time with your parents lately have you?

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
I just bought a brand new 30" display from Apple Store online. It arrived clearly used and dirty. I looked up the serial number and it was manufactured in March 2007. I kid you not. I called Apple and they said it had just been sitting on the shelf all that time.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Not getting this one at all. One display option, glossy only, at $1000? I'm sure it's a beautiful display... but methinks this is taking the "simplicity of options" approach too far. I liked the old lineup with a 20, 23, and 30. I guess they could redo that as a 21.5, 24, 27, or maybe 21.5, 27, 30, but there are a lot of people who want smaller than 27 and a lot who want bigger (and of course the glossy issue).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
We just need a 21.5" display for $599. 27" is to big for some, but not me. :D

This would be perfect, however I think Apple isn't really in the external display market anymore, considering that 80% of their computers include one.

why would they do this?
Money. It's cheaper to make one display that uses the same panel as the 27" iMac, and not have to order more displays that aren't being used in computers. Remember, the 24" display uses the same panel as the old 24" iMac.

It's also why I would LOVE a 21.5" ACD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.