Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

grand_central_terminal_leasing.jpg

Grand Central Terminal leasing plan (PDF) with Metrazur on East Balcony at right

Earlier this year, reports surfaced claiming that Apple was pursuing a potential new retail store location in the historic Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, a hub for both commuter and tourist activity. Claims had even suggested that the store could be the company's largest. But a few weeks later, word appeared claiming that Apple had backed out of its plans.

But according to The Wall Street Journal, Apple is indeed in discussions for a space in the terminal checking in at around 15,000 square feet, a fairly large store although not the company's largest.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is looking for new tenants for a marquee space in Grand Central Terminal, and computer giant Apple Inc. has expressed interest in putting a store there.

The agency is looking for a single renter for two adjacent balconies on the north and east sides of the terminal. It will issue a request for proposals Monday.
According to a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), the agency has spoken to Apple about the opening and is hoping that the company bids on the space.

The report hints that the MTA may be working specifically to find space for Apple, as successful restaurant Metrazur is one of the businesses closing to free up the space and the restaurant's owner suggests that he will be receiving a substantial buyout for agreeing to end his lease well before its 2019 expiration.
A new tenant would be required to pay Mr. Palmer a substantial sum of money to vacate his lease.

"It's an offer that's hard to refuse," said Mr. Palmer, who declined to put a number on it. "It's hard to compete with whatever that company might be that's taking the space."
Retail space in Grand Central Terminal is awarded through an open bidding process, meaning that Apple's official intent to bid on the space should become public as the selection process moves forward.

Article Link: Apple Officially in Discussions for Retail Store Space in Grand Central Terminal

Last edited by a moderator:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Meh. Not sure I would go all the way down to the station to buy a Mac or get my equipment serviced.
Could be pretty convenient getting your stuff serviced though. Knowing your train will come into the station at 6:05, you can easily book an appointment for 6:15 and be on your way. On second thought, this might be pretty cool.

DJHonda84

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
It also turned out to be convenient having Madison Square Garden at NY Penn Station. Not worth it though since a great station was essentially destroyed in the process.

I know an Apple Store at a GCT balcony wouldn't have such extreme negative effect, but I can't help but be sensitive when it comes to such proposal. GCT was the place that launched historic landmark preservation movements across the country. Plus, anyone who knows the history of GCT knows that too much willingness to bring in tenants and commercial partnerships was in poor taste.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It also turned out to be convenient having Madison Square Garden at NY Penn Station. Not worth it though since a great station was essentially destroyed in the process.

I know an Apple Store at a GCT balcony wouldn't have such an extreme negative effect, but I can't help but to be sensitive when it comes to such a proposal. GCT was the place that launched historic landmark preservation movements across the country. Plus, anyone who knows the history of GCT knows that too much willingness to bring in tenants and commercial partnerships was in poor taste.

For some reason, I have to agree with everything you said.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This store won't be so repair oriented. Although it might make sense for those who arrive early and leave late through GC. However, I see the focus of this store more of retail than anything else.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Honestly, I think its a dumb move.

There are already enough stores in the immediate area.

Too many examples of companies opening store after store in the same city, that at time look like a great idea, but in the long run end up being dead weight.

As well as Apple is doing right now, this would be a mistake, overkill.

They should just take the money and donate it to several great charities, which is something they don't do enough of!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

Too many examples of companies opening store after store in the same city, that at time look like a great idea, but in the long run end up being dead weight.

They should just take the money and donate it to several great charities, which is something they don't do enough of!

I agree with the first part. The last part, I never can picture Apple doing. A more realistic thing Apple would and should do is open a retail store in areas that need them. Not in places that already have 20 Apple Stores in the same 5 square miles.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
All stores in NY should be Apple stores. The more the merrier. This should be world news.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Why do some new store rumours get front page news here when others only get 2nd page news? I don't understand.

Could it be that little stores get 2nd page and big flashy stores get front page?
No. Cause the Brisbane store will be very flashy, fancy and expensive. And it was on page 2.

Could it be only US stores get front page news?
No. Cause the Madrid store got front page news.

Could it be the Mac-Rumors staff pick whatever new store rumours they want for the front page and not care if the other ones are important to some people?
Very possible. I've found no other evidence to disprove this.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think they want to be there because it sounds like two of their technologies: "Grand Central Dispatch" and "Terminal", combined!

Next store: Some kind of military base called "Mission Control Center" :D

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Wasn't this news several months ago?

Yes but it was later reported to have been shelved.

Earlier this year, reports surfaced claiming that Apple was pursuing a potential new retail store location in the historic Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, a hub for both commuter and tourist activity. Claims had even suggested that the store could be the company's largest. But a few weeks later, word appeared claiming that Apple had backed out of its plans.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

I know an Apple Store at a GCT balcony wouldn't have such extreme negative effect, but I can't help but be sensitive when it comes to such proposal. GCT was the place that launched historic landmark preservation movements across the country. Plus, anyone who knows the history of GCT knows that too much willingness to bring in tenants and commercial partnerships was in poor taste.

Have you been to Grand Central Station? They wouldn't be ripping out historic architectural features in order to get the Apple store in. Those commercial spaces have been established for several years now and there is already a food court on the lower level as well as several retail stores. If there were no trains most people would assume its a shopping mall. :)

In fact, the reverse is true. the station went through a beautiful restoration 15 years ago and those efforts continue. An Apple store at Grand Central would be very convenient for commuters.

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006

And you think giving the money away is a good idea?

I'm all for philanthropy. I'd love to see Steve Jobs make it to the headlines for some of the things Bill Gates has become known for.

But corporate philanthropy is a joke.

And have you visited an Apple Store in the NYC area lately? I'm quite sure the demand is there.

And I'm also quite sure that Apple has quite a few people on the payroll confirming that. Ever seen an Apple Store go belly-up like a poorly-placed Denny's?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I think I'll err on the side of Apple and their research rather than your knee jerk reaction. I'd bet you haven't seem the throngs of buyers at all 4 Apple stores in Manhattan. The island could probably support a few more.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I keep thinking about the flash crowd events that have been held in GCT.

If Apple gets a store on the concourse, perhaps Microsoft could fly in some retail employees to do the electric slide on the main floor for the opening. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.