Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Developers have the option of creating "universal" apps that are able to be run on both platforms.

cool really :) hope Square Enix make their Final Fantasy games Universal... and how would that work? would there be two built in resolutions to support the iPhone then the iPad?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I don't like the idea of a separate app store for the ipad. Leaves room for apps mysteriously not making it from the iPhone to the ipad.

What would be mysterious about an iPhone app not being made for the iPad? Not every app makes sense on both devices.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
...crickets...

...it'll be interesting to see how many (or how few) apps materialize, indicating confidence in this device.

Shipping without testing on a real device ( simulator only ) is indicative of "Gold Rush" mentality. Not confidence of the device. Those developers are going to be playing a Oklahoma Sooner like game of rushing to put a stake out a claim ( a spot in the iPad store) before technically should be. (it won't be illegal like real Sooners were. ) Hoping that folks will tolerate their software and not label it as bad before they can get a truely real tested version out there.

Apple is playing a "Gold Rush Days" game here. I expect there will be more than a hand full of folks playing that game. It isn't really a new game. Tons of garabage apps are in the AppStore. Lots of chessy (snag some data off the web and jam it into an app and sell it. ) stuff that Apple has finally started to filter through.

Expect a rapid succession of updates weeks after most of these apps show up.

The other effect here is Apple is allowing a few developers to get out in front of everyone else ( those that they give pre-access iPads to. ) Those folks will get to stake their claims early in a somewhat more legitimate fashion.

P.S. the bulk of apps that show up first day will be indicative of how much "cruft" the iPad section of the store will have. If the rest of the AppStore is indicative .... it will be lots.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Apart from iLife integration, none of those are even good ideas. Nobody is buying an iPad because it's a nine inch monitor. And I certainly hope no one would buy two iPads just to use one as a keyboard — just get a bluetooth keyboard. It's cheaper and much better as a, well, keyboard.

...crickets...

...it'll be interesting to see how many (or how few) apps materialize, indicating confidence in this device.

Here are some things this device needs, that it is unlikely to get:

1. External Monitor - Plug it into your Mac, and the iPad bypasses its own OS, and becomes a second display.
2. Bigass Touchpad - Plug it into your Mac, and it becomes a big multitouch trackpad/keyboard.
3. Clone - Plug two iPads into each other in a hinged sleeve. One acts as your keyboard, and the other your monitor. A better MB Air.
4. Garageband, iMovie - To mix and edit iLife projects while out & about.
5. VLC! - Yeah, I know, not gonna happen
6. A "Move" option, so you don't need to have all your huge movies taking up all that room both on your ipad and your Mac. Move the file on to one or the other, (with moved files only being able to be moved back again...).

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
I suspect most apps will come this summer. Hard to design stuff without the actual device. Also, with a new OS coming out, many developers may sit this round out so that they dont end up duplicating their efforts in such a short period of time.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The hardware test would reveal...what, exactly?

The iPad simulator is essentially testing in a virtual machine, and iPad developers have no direct hardware access anyway, so what would they be programming that would actually require hardware testing?

There is an assumption here that the simulator is highly accurate of the hardware. For example, funky movements in 3D space effect on the accelerometers. Fingers/Hand obscuring issues. Essentially, finishing refinements to the software.

Would you fly on a commercial plane where the pilots had only had simulator time on that specific model ? Or ride in a car with someone who only had worked with driving simulators?

Same issues. Depends upon what your quality threshold is. Conceptually you can release software that is simulator only. However, that is not an industry standard best practice.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Is anyone here going to make an app for the iPad?
I am currently developing an iPad specific application, one that should be available from launch day, and converted another application, which I originally developed for the iPod Touch and iPhone, but that can run on the iPad as well.

The biggest challenge now is to get a trademark [in time] because I was late to come up with a new idea ;)

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Yes, landscape screenshots can be taken that way on a 15-inch MBP. But what about portrait screenshots? I'm not sure devs want to give impression that their iPad apps are landscape only.
There's quite a few widgets that will allow you to take pictures of apps without scrolling by expanding it and automatically pasting it together then taking the screenshot. Look around.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
What would be mysterious about an iPhone app not being made for the iPad? Not every app makes sense on both devices.

This I agree with. It is simply the idea that apps have to go through the approval process again. Competing apps, like say the kindle, would have to go through the process again. With Apple getting in stride to release its own apps, apps that were approved for the iphone, may not be approved for the iPad.

gibjer

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
What are the odds I'm going to have to re-buy MLB.com 2010 for the iPad after I've already shelled out 14.99 for the iPhone :cool:

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
That can be done if your Mac screen size is 17-inch or bigger. But what if you develop on a 15-inch MacBook Pro?
The simulator fits in Landscape mode, so I made my shots only in that orientation. With some work, I could take upper and lower half shots and composite them together in PhotoShop, but my screenshots look better in landscape anyway.

By the way one important reason to test on a device is that there ARE some differences in the simulator. A big one is that the simulator does not simulate the RAM constraints on the device. An app that takes up a lot of internal memory might run on the simulator but crash on the device, for example.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Just finished porting over WDWMaps - my free Walt Disney World park maps app :) Just got a few design tweaks to go and it'll be ready! :p

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
All of you who pre-ordered for pickup in two weeks are brave early adopters.
The more I read about the legitimate problems and complexities raised here the more confident I am in waiting for at least generation 2 before considering purchasing an iPad.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
The more I read about the legitimate problems and complexities raised here the more confident I am in waiting for at least generation 2 before considering purchasing an iPad.
I've read nothing in this thread that would cause me to rethink my decision to buy my iPad. This thread has to do with third-party software, which will be consistently improved by devs throughout the life of the first-gen iPad.

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

Nothing wrong with being an early adopter. I pre-ordered the 32GB version just for kicks. Not sure I will use it much, but the novelty will be neat. I am sure that the next generations will be better, but nothing wrong with enjoying the device while in its infancy. I still have no idea why I bought it. I think the wife wanted it.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Yes sir.

I have a question though to the others: if the app works fine will it be approved or there are other criteria? I mean are they going to select specific apps?

If you're a developer then you should know the answer to that... but Apps only get approved if they conform to a specific set of written rules (these rules are made available to all iPhone developers that are current with their membership fee) and then a set of unwritten rules that are only known to Apple...

However you can usually trust that anything even remotely threatening to Apple will get the heave-ho. :mad:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I've read nothing in this thread that would cause me to rethink my decision to buy my iPad. This thread has to do with third-party software, which will be consistently improved by devs throughout the life of the first-gen iPad.

Like I said, you are brave souls. I'll wait until all that improvement has occurred. This is bleeding edge stuff. I give you all the credit in the world for working out the usability problems for the rest of us.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
iPhone OS 2.0 (what a disaster when it first came out, so unstable), iMac 27" screen, MobileMe, etc...

Apple's quality control has decreased the past few years.

Since Apple has the highest satisfaction rates, if theirs has decreased, I wonder about everyone else? :eek:

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Like I said, you are brave souls. I'll wait until all that improvement has occurred. This is bleeding edge stuff. I give you all the credit in the world for working out the usability problems for the rest of us.
Glad to do it. This feels EXACTLY like the days leading up to June 29, 2007, before I bought my first iPhone on launch day. I'd never held one, didn't quite grok what I was getting into. Not a single regret. All expectations exceeded in every way imaginable. This is how and why Apple works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.