Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has given a series order for 10 episodes of "Are You Sleeping," a drama series that will star Octavia Spencer, who is known for her work in movies that include "Hidden Figures," "The Help," "Gifted," and "The Shape of Water."

News of Apple's work on "Are You Sleeping" first surfaced in January, but now Variety says the company has decided to move forward with production on the show.

octaviabutler-800x450.jpg

Image of Octavia Spencer via Variety​

"Are You Sleeping" is based on a novel by Kathleen Barber, which has been described as a psychological thriller. The book focuses on a podcast that reopens a murder case, similar to the popular "Serial" podcast that led to a new trial for Adnan Syed, in jail for allegedly murdering a former girlfriend. Sarah Koenig, who created and produced "Serial," will consult on "Are You Sleeping."

The novel the TV show is based on explores how the reopening of the murder case impacts the victim's daughter and disrupts her life, and it's likely the TV show will follow a similar plot.

"Are You Sleeping" was written by Nichelle Tramble Spellman, and the series will be produced by Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine and Chernin Entertainment/Endeavor Content.

Apple is also working with Reese Witherspoon's production company on an as of yet untitled "morning show drama" that takes a look into the cutthroat would of morning TV.

Apple now has more than a dozen television shows in the works, with a full list of what's on the horizon available in the original content section of our Apple TV roundup.

It's not yet known when the first of Apple's TV shows will debut nor how they'll be distributed, but rumors have suggested we could see the first fruits of Apple's efforts in 2019.

Article Link: Apple Officially Orders 'Are You Sleeping' Drama Series Starring Octavia Spencer

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
I guess it’s too early to judge, but none of these shows sound interesting, nor have any of their music exclusives. Everything is geared to tweens, and their TV lineup looks to be competing with Lifetime.

I like Apple Music, but purely for the streaming.

Comment

cendrizzi

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
I can see why Apple is getting into this space, they probably have to. Still, I can't help but feel this is a direction I wish they didn't have to go down and could just focus on being a tech company.

I would probably feel different about it if their core value to many of us, laptops and more, didn't feel so neglected and behind (at least in comparison to where they used to be vs the market).

Theoretically the two are not related and a company this big should have no problem executing on all these fronts but the passion Apple puts into it's products doesn't always scale as well (or maybe they just don't seem as good at it compared to Amazon, who can seemingly can go into all markets and compete well but also rely on being inexpensive).

Comment

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Talking bout the Apple TV can we have a browser based Apple TV App Store pls?

Reactions: femike
Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
It's very clear what Apple is attempting to pull off in the future - create an Apple HBO type entertainment service- but one that can only be viewed on Apple devices. What an outlandish plan.

Reactions: ToroidalZeus
Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
Then you woke up from your dream and looked at their most recent earnings and said, “Well I’ll be damned. This is the best company in the world.”
Making the most revenue and profit does not necessarily mean it is a good thing for the consumer.

I think Apple had a much better quality product, especially software, back when they (relatively) did not make any money.

Comment

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know of anybody who's asking for this.

Octavia Spencer isn't a great actress. Unfunny and just loud.

Well, I mean, she isn't a comedic actress. Her foray is drama, which is what her Oscar, SAG, BAFTA, and Golden Globe award wins were for.

Apple looks to be encompassing several genres with this service in hopes that they'll be many choices for customers on day one, much like how Apple Music had the full iTunes Library on day one.

Comment

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
Netflix is running so far ahead in the TV series game - makes Apple's response laughable.

Comment

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Nice! You already know this will be great!

Funny thing is, every time I see her, I think about that pie and laugh to myself.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Comment

Diamond Dog

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2018
Thank god Mac Rumors posters aren’t deciding. If they were Apple would be some niche company selling desktop computers and nothing else.
I'm not just talking about MR posters. I don't know a single Apple device user (or non-user, for that matter) who has voiced any sort of desire for Apple to come out with a standalone video streaming service a la Netflix, HBO NOW, etc. Clearly they're dumping enough money into this with the idea that there's a market for it-- I just don't know who that market is, based on my personal experience.
[doublepost=1525290949][/doublepost]
o_O

Oh, I'm sorry. She's only been nominated for an Oscar (3) times in 2012 (Won), 2017 and 2018. She must be doing something right to get back to back Oscar nominations. But, hey, to each its own.
Lots of bad actors have received awards, and lots of great actors have never received one. Regardless, I don't pay much mind to who has won which awards when I form my own opinion of who is and isn't -- to me -- a good actor.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.