Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Online Store Now Accepting PayPal Payments

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's online stores in the United States and the United Kingdom have begun accepting PayPal payments, reports Re/code. PayPal was previously available as a payment option in iTunes and the App Store, but it is now also accepted for product purchases made at Apple.com.

Payments with PayPal can be made as of today from the online Apple Store by choosing the PayPal option when checking out. PayPal is not yet offered as a payment method in the Apple Store app, and it is unclear if it will be added in the future.

Along with accepting PayPal payments, Apple will also promote PayPal Credit payment methods, letting Apple online shoppers pay for items over $250 with monthly payments over the course of 18 months with no interest.

Now that Apple offers a PayPal competitor with Apple Pay, the two companies have had some minor disputes. Back in September, PayPal attacked Apple during the iCloud hacking that saw several celebrity accounts breached. Apple and PayPal were initially in talks to partner up for Apple Pay, but that deal may have soured due to a PayPal/Samsung deal that saw PayPal accepting payments authorized with the Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: Apple Online Store Now Accepting PayPal Payments

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Serious question, does MR ever write their own articles/stories or just post a synopsis of others?

Comment

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Serious question, does MR ever write their own articles/stories or just post a synopsis of others?

MR does have original articles. There is the submit a tip button, and MR monitors their forums for news as well. Other than that, I don't know. MR looks to be just posting a synopsis of other news sources. Which isn't always a bad thing, many times it's good to see summaries of all the news bits in one place.

Comment

xARx2

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
Yes, I read the article, but does this mean a possibility for Paypal integration with :apple:Pay?

Good stuff.

Reactions: Caliber26
Comment

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Strange. I thought Apple was in a bitter war with PayPal over Apple Pay and such. :rolleyes:

Yehh! Like why aren't they ramping up the promotion of Apple Pay instead?
Or are they required by law to have an alternative payment option?

Comment

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Sweet, now I can finally buy pricer items in the refurb store without killing a credit line.

Comment

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Only because PayPal bought BillMeLater, which was one of the available payment options for the longest time at the online Apple Store.

Comment

willydimes

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2014
Ive used paypal over the phone with the apple store twice in the past two years though, so am I missing somewhere here?

Comment

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
correcting incorrect apple stories is almost as futile as trying to destroying every single copy of the "Star Wars Holiday Special"

paypal aka bill me later aka Paypal credit, its all the same thing and you could always use it as an option to buy apple hardware. apple hid this in the "financing" tab.

all apple did was to take this payment option and move it from "financing" to the other tabs to make it more prominent, and give it more options. but this option was always available to you

the restriction with Paypal and the apple store is that they required you to have all apple hardware shipped to you, you couldn't use this option as far as i know to place orders for in store pickup the purchase required me to have the mac mini shipped

at least with special financing - i had to have the mac mini shipped

the major change is now you can buy something at www.apple.com and use paypal and pick it up at the apple store. with the old way you went to apple.com and used paypal and had to have the item shipped

i went to the apple store back in October 28th and i purchased my third mac mini for Paypal credit no interest no payments for 6 months by going to www.apple.com and going to "financing" and clicking on paypal

Last edited:
Comment

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
About time...

Seriously. Now the hordes of people who have been holding out on buying Apple products because they don't have a credit card but do have Paypal can finally join in. Tomorrow all the analysts will be upgrading their earnings estimates to reflect the HUGE market opening this reflects.

:rolleyes:

Comment

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan
Wasn't this already an option? I have made purchases with Bill Me Later on apple.com before this already, so this is just a name change because bill me later became paypal credit? What am I missing?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.