Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Anyone know how much Apple makes from IP licensing? The US patent process is fundamentally bust if such obvious drivel can be patented. These sorts of patents always look like throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks to stifle innovation from smaller companies. Does anyone know if Apple aggressively pursues infringers of these non-patents?

Reactions: 78Bandit

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Anyone know how much Apple makes from IP licensing? The US patent process is fundamentally bust if such obvious drivel can be patented. These sorts of patents always look like throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks to stifle innovation from smaller companies. Does anyone know if Apple aggressively pursues infringers of these non-patents?

In the last decade or so they don't file patent lawsuits other than a few notorious cases like retaliatory when they are sued, or the big Samsung case (where, let's be honest, Samsung was blatantly copying Apple. Samsung's own lawyers couldn't identify in court which was an apple device and which was a samsung device).

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
This looks like an overly broad patent. No invention is displayed or explained. Just concept shots. Patent troll to the max.

Everything shown is done by an artist (concept shots, like when a apple fan makes a concept iPhone design), not a software developer.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Are you quoting a multiyear spend? Afaik, Apple has never spent more than $12 billion on R&D. You may be thinking of Amazon because they spent $22+ billion last year. As I said, you may be quoting multiyear spend.

You're right, $12B it is. Was wrongly thinking of Amazon.

Thanks...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This looks like an overly broad patent. No invention is displayed or explained. Just concept shots. Patent troll to the max.

Everything shown is done by an artist (concept shots, like when a apple fan makes a concept iPhone design), not a software developer.
That's not true at all. Did you read the entire patent specification, including the claims?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I would expect Apple to be curious - but that doesn't mean they will actually make a product... Apple does patent trolling as well.

I believe great augmented reality glasses will kill off the Apple Watch some day... Maybe even the iPhone.

this is a pure Patent troll attempt and an absolute shocker that this was even granted.

there is prior art of existing tech that does this.

I remember trying an App back in 2015 that attempted to do this, overlay points of interest over buildings when I did a tour of Europe. it sucked.. But was pretty much what this patent is claiming.

now, i have no doubt with Apple's power and money they can make a version of this that doesn't completely utterly suck. But, prior art is prior art. This is a patent that shouldn't have been awarded.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/top-10-augmented-reality-travel-apps-569570/

Last edited:

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
This will be a hit with consumers, just like 3D TV has been for the past 30 years.

Yes, people really don't like having to put stuff on their head, although one big issue is that 3D TV was so isolating. You really could not interact with the people beside you. I think glasses with an overlaid HUD display would be somewhat better.

The main issue with Google Glass is that you could basically record everything, and that freaked people out.

I could see the benefit of augmented display glasses, especially if there was a way to interact with them. For example, look up and to the right to turn on and off the display, or some type of voice control. Currently my Apple Watch screen has my activity rings, the temperature, a timer, and my last heart rate. I could see that information being displayed on glasses someday. I think glasses will continue to evolve in occupational uses until someday they break into the consumer market.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Apple AR Racing goggles. The PERFECT companion for the AppleCar!

They can have a simultaneous release along with a wireless charging garage called the AirPort!
mathews_cool.gif

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
AR & VR are dead as consumer products. They may have some use for professionals, but the general consumer isn't going to wear a device that blocks their mobility.

Right now the display technology isn't there to make it mobile friendly. There's an extremely limited field-of-view and low resolution in headsets. If a wrap-around light-field display could be made, then it might be possible to use AR/VR.
eye implants silly

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The fact that they are using iPhone 4/4S style devices for the illustrations shows they have been working on this for a long, long time now.

Reactions: citysnaps

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Aren't AR glasses also VR glasses? Just overlay an entire scene in the AR glasses and you have VR!
No, they're different. AR - Augmented reality. Real world with virtual overlay. AR can have as little overlay as speed and gear selected on a car windshield or as much as the video I linked above.

VR - Virtual reality. No real world involved. It's not an overlay of reality. It's a complete replacement.

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
Something interesting to note about the possibility of AR glasses from Apple is maybe this is their plan to combat foldables and the like. Essentially once they get the design and everything down, you could wear glasses and effectively have any size screen you'd want at any time, with no physical device. Or if it's to complement the iPhone, maybe it would show information around your iPhone screen, leaving the physical device for trying and input but the ability to have an iPad size (or heck, larger) floating above the phone playing video or whatever content.

I'm very intrigued about AR, not as much VR. I think VR is great for gaming, but AR is really what has the ability to alter the way we interact with all devices and surroundings. I think the HoloLens is great steps in that direction, but I'd want something much more portable for it to truly transform. Though even with the HoloLens it's neat to think you could literally walk into your office and have screens and apps floating where you need them.

BXRich

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2019
NY
awesome, more costs associated to go-nowhere products that are offset by increasing prices to everything else they have in market without bringing any real innovation to them.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
awesome, more costs associated to go-nowhere products that are offset by increasing prices to everything else they have in market without bringing any real innovation to them.
hah hah I get it. Because apple is expensive and only iSheep buy their stuff. Good one.
[doublepost=1551207458][/doublepost]
There's good money to be made in patent trolling, so there's the new 'show me the money' Apple. :)

Who has apple sued for patent infringement in the last 10 years other than Samsung?

paulcons

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
They sold millions of "watches" that were not much more than glorified remote controls for the ifone in your pocket. Maybe one will need both the phone and the watch to use these AR glasses? Not so sure there's much need to, say, look at the Mona Lisa with your glasses telling you it IS that painting. Or looking at the Statue of Liberty with the glasses telling you it's the big girl in the harbor. Gosh, sound like we need way more tax breaks for the uber rich so they can keep the fruit the world's most valuable company... then again, I DO seem to have an issue with spending a grand on a damn phone.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Apple is just beating a dead horse.

But I get it, for the excessively faithful it's interesting because currently Apple's competitors don't care about it.

Reactions: Ramchi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.