Apple Pay at Home Depot...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WolfSnap, Oct 27, 2014.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Yahoo is reporting (in a really poorly written news report) that Home Depot is NOT accepting Apple Pay. However, the article smells fishy as 1) Home Depot ($HD) is only mentioned in the article's title, and 2) Yahoo isn't known to be an Apple bull.

So, I attempted to do some digging. There are reports on here (and twitter) of success with Apple Pay at Home Depot, yet, the article claims they turned off support; and, an Apple support document says that it doesn't work there.

I attempted to call HD and find out. The rep I spoke to had no idea what NFC, Apple Pay, or even Google Wallet was. She transferred me to the 'resolutions' department, who ALSO had no idea what any of those words meant.

So, here's the question... Is Apple Pay working at HD? Did they pull the plug? Is Yahoo actually correct? Or, is this a completely bogus news report?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Home Depot is an unofficial Apple Pay supporter. If they have NFC-capable terminals, it'll work.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I haven't been to home depot in a while, but last time I tried my contactless card, the machine beeped and then declined the payment. The lady told me that they disabled the contactless feature, and I had to swipe. This was about 6 months ago

4. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Yahoo has had their story up for hours. They claim HD isn't accepting Pay.

I'd love to get some clarity!

5. Lefty21 macrumors regular

Looks like a poorly written article (from Yahoo? Shocker!)

It mentions how CVS and Rite-Aid disabled NFC (which we already knew) and how Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. are part of this MCX group (which we already knew), but nothing about them actually disabling NFC.

Just your typical sensationalist clickbait.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Until we see a front page article right here on MR confirming that Walmart and Home Depot have in fact pulled the plug on NFC, I wouldn't read too much into it.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I literally was in HD an hour ago and the self checkout displayed the NFC sideways wifi symbol in the middle of the display of various cards they take. No Apple logo but MasterCard paypass was definitely there.

As UPS still has my iphone6 I was unable to test Apple Pay... :cool:

8. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

Go to Home Depot and try it.

9. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I've made 3 purchases with apple pay in the last few days at Home Depot. Glendale, AZ

10. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I watched a guy pay with Apple Pay last night at Home Depot. Furthermore, he was showing the cashier how it all worked.

They may have dropped that ability between yesterday and today. But it worked last night.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have a few times already.

Its unofficially supported and when swiping your card you have to type in your pin for debit or press cancel to have it go through as credit. Using Apple Pay it detected my phone right away and it approved the transaction but the pin pad was still waiting for my pin, as soon as I pressed cancel the receipt came out.

I believe the system needs to be updated for the cashier so that instead of them pressing the debit/credit button it becomes two different options (credit or debit), but this could also just be this location.

12. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Yahoo has now "fixed" the article, but has not corrected anything other than the headline..

Now it says, "CVS and RiteAid", but the video and URL still reference home depot, which is wrong.

Absolutely pathetic reporting.

13. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

So you're saying you hit cancel when asking for your PIN & the transaction was still successful ?

14. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Hitting cancel on pin would run it as credit.

15. dvdlovr24 macrumors 6502

I just tried using Apple Pay at HD and it came back declined. It authorized on my phone and then the system asked for my pin. I hit cancel to run it as credit and it came back card declined. I then swiped the same card through and it went through fine.

16. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Similar thing happens when I swipe my FSA medical card. POS asks for a pin but you just hit cancel. The confusing things is the card is stamped with the word "Debit" but it's not a debit card.

17. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I used it at Home Depot on Sunday. Went to a regular cashier (not self checkout) and it worked fine.

18. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Does the self checkout not have the NFC terminal?

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seems like he just chose the cashier. I often do if there's no line, nice to interact with a person.

Anyway, I posted earlier:

20. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm sure it depends on location. Definitely going to try it at my local store soon. :)

:apple:

21. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Used it tonight at the Self checkout. Worked perfectly.

22. farmkittie, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

farmkittie macrumors 6502

I'm going to try Home Depot this week to get some stuff I need for yard cleanup. I usually go to Lowe's but the one I went to this weekend to get paint did not have NFC at all. Just a regular card swiper. As it's not going to be accepting Apple Pay I'll try Home Depot. Both equally close tom where I live I just had the Lowe's habit.

I hope I can try Apple Pay at HD at least once before they shut it down.

Can't wait to try Trader Joe's. I've heard rumors that they have the equipment.

23. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

I've had this same problem at a few other stores. Interestingly enough though, Apple Pay seems to work at these locations with American Express and the store terminal never asks for credit/debit..it just processes the transaction.

When I attempt to use Apple Pay at some stores with a mastercard/visa the store terminal asks for a pin..I hit cancel to run as credit and the transaction is declined..but it works with AMEX. I'm not sure what's going on.

24. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Actually, Home Depot is NOT a member of MCX - at least, I can't find mention of it - but Lowe's is.

25. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

My home depot does in fact have NFC terminals but when used a message comes up telling the cashier to use another form of payment,This happend both from Apple Pay and a family members Note 3 using Soft Card. The cashier said it has always done that since they had the terminals installed a year ago. So I guess it store dependent on how they use them.