Apple Pay, best thing ever

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by danny842003, Jan 27, 2019.

1. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I’ve been a bit lazy/busy recently and haven’t had the time/motivation to exercise, I was thinking the Apple Watch was a little excessive for my needs.
    Then this week my bank finally caved and offered Apple Pay, this has made the Apple Watch a must have device. The convenience of being able to pay without a card is amazing I’m sold on the Apple Watch again.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s definitely convenient, and it’s becoming more widespread now where you don’t even have to carry your debit card with you in every location now. Contactless payment I think is the future, and the Apple Watch really makes it simplistic. Surprisingly, I don’t see too many consumers use the Apple Watch for Apple Pay, either they don’t know how it works or they simply don’t think about it, but it’s quick and efficient for a payment method.

3. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

The future is now. Apple Pay is my preferred method of payment and most places I frequent, NIKE, Apple, Chick-Fil-A, BJs and soon Target all accept Apple Pay. Contactless is still gaining momentum here in the US, but it’s quite prevalent in bigger cities. There are still quiet a few cashiers that are so mind blown when I pay with my iPhone or Apple Watch.

Oddly enough I have a habit of paying with my iPhone more often than my watch, ha.

4. danny842003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

danny842003

Contactless is pretty much everywhere here in Australia, but the banks tried to band together and get Apple to cut them a better deal. It didn’t work and many banks still don’t have Apple Pay here.

5. torana355 macrumors 68030

Been using Android pay here in Australia for a few years. I'm surprised it's taken Apple this long to join the party.

6. Monkswhiskers macrumors member

In the UK I have yet to find anywhere that doesn't accept apple pay (as long as they accept contactless), The thrill of paying with the watch James Bond style never goes away...until I check my bank balance at the end of the month lol!

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

8. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Cash is just as fake as electronic payments, amazing to me that there is more faith in pieces of paper.
    In a short term power outage paper works so I keep some on hand, but In a SHTF situation it’s a bathroom product. Normal day to day give me contactless systems

9. hologram macrumors 6502

Not if you give it to me. :D

10. scmill macrumors member

scmill

I've taught drive-thru cashiers all around town about Apple Pay. They are just gobsmacked to see it work! Now all I have to do is raise my arm, and they are grabbing their terminal and holding it out the window. :apple:

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The day will come when our government will make us abandon it and then they will know where you spend every penny. After that they will decide what you can buy and what you can’t.

12. mdhaus72 macrumors newbie

My advice: Take off the tin foil hat....and R..E..L..A..X..

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not going to happen. I worry because too many are relaxed.

14. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

Cool. In 30 years The Netherlands will have Apple Pay too, I hope.

15. danny842003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

danny842003

It wasn’t Apple, but the banks decided not to take them up in their offer.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2019 ---
    What’s the difference between this time and now?
    I can’t just go and buy heroin or a gun legally with cash or contactless.

16. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502

Jason Hensley

I love Apple Pay on my watch! It’s so fast, and I leave my wallet behind a lot, especially in stores where I know it’s accepted.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No but you can buy heroin and an illegal gun with cash.

18. danny842003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

danny842003

But they still decide what you can and can’t buy which is what you said.
    Even if they did say what you could and couldn’t buy there’s nothing saying you couldn’t trade goods for anything else.

19. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

20. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

You worry because you like it, nothing to do with anybody else, own your choices.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do own them. Hold them strongly.

22. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Pretty much the reason for the word "illegal" in this sentence.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No a good enough reason.

24. MisterSavage macrumors 6502

MisterSavage

I was lukewarm on the Apple Watch at first but Apple Pay quickly became the killer feature for me. It's especially convenient when i'm carrying other things. I can still activate it with the knuckle on my thumb.

It's so funny when that happens!

You sound like me. Last night I told a cashier at a small Thai restaurant I wanted to pay with Apple Pay. She said I couldn't but I saw the NFC symbol on her payment device. I held my watch up to it and it worked. She was amazed.

Fingers crossed! I was able to pay for entry into a water closet at Amsterdam Centraal and the people in line behind me were amazed!

25. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I think I've used Apple Pay on my phone maybe 5 times total since it came available, and not at all recently. However, that's because I use it all time time on the watch (I've owned an Apple Watch since 2015). It works amazingly well. Even to this day, most cashiers make a comment of surprise/wonder when I do it. They see the phone used often for Apple Pay, but rarely the watch. I'm not sure why. Maybe most people just don't bother to load their card through the Watch app on the phone.

If you own an Apple Watch, you really need to try this out if you haven't already.