Apple Pay, best thing ever

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by danny842003, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

On the watch it is. Even thinking about having to get out my iPhone for Apple Pay gives me a headache.

2. MisterSavage macrumors 6502

MisterSavage

Definitely true for me also. That is the one area where I thought touch ID was better. With Apple Pay I could just pull my phone out of my pocket and hold it near the NFC terminal with my finger resting on the touch ID sensor. It's kind of clunky with face ID. It's a moot point because it's so fast and convenient to pay with my watch.

3. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

unfortunately only one bank here has accepted apple pay... and im not their customer.

anyway, nfc payments (e.g. a debit card with a nfc) has been here for years already... on everywhere... so i dont really miss or need apple pay.

4. danny842003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

danny842003

That was me 10 days ago, on the watch it’s a life changer.

5. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

There’s still something Dicky Tracey about using the watch to pay for things. I was using the tube the other day and the women in front of me used her phone to pay and then I came behind and used my watch. Very slick.

6. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

I love Apple Pay, especially with my Apple Watch. I am going to love it even more in a few weeks when Target starts accepting it!

:apple:

7. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I love Apple Pay, and use it all the time at our nearest grocery store. Unfortunately that grocery store is convenient but expensive. The less expensive grocery store that I regularly go to takes only Samsung Pay. It would be interesting to know the demographics of the shoppers. Are more of the shoppers at the less expensive store Android users, and are there more iPhone users at the expensive store? Perhaps, but at least Trader Joe's takes Apple Pay and that store is the least expensive of the three!

8. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

The Apple Pay holdouts are dropping like flies now. I expect in a couple of years that stores that do not accept it will be relatively rare. It's already more common than not in my area.

9. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I don't carry cash.
    retailors that accept Apple Pay get my business.

10. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

It's more the principle that any non-cash payment system relies on a private company taking their cut and also deciding who gets a bank card or who can afford an Apple Watch.

Expect to see some governments legislate that business must accept cash, and eventually role out their own cashless alternatives.

11. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

It's the whole button-pushing thing that I find silly. Fortunately, Apple eliminated that step for the Japanese market. With my prepaid Suica card designated as my "express" payment method, all I have to do is wave my watch over the terminal. No button-tapping necessary.

12. slotcarbob macrumors member

Getting rid of baskets of wheat in favor of cash was also thought to be a bad idea. Same dynamic applies here. There are no sacred cows on this issue. Apple Pay style is the safest form there is.

13. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

If Apple Pay was always active on the watch it wouldn’t take long for people to develop little Square like NFC devices to steal money from people on a busy street etc. The double tap is how you verify I want to make a payment - glad it’s there

14. MisterSavage macrumors 6502

MisterSavage

Exactly. Pushing a button twice to activate it is just fine with me.

15. michaelb5000 macrumors regular

Yes, I think Apple Pay on the watch is great and feels like the future. One local gas station now supports apple pay at the pump, and that is great, even better than using it in stores. I could get by without a wallet most of the time (except for the license thing).

16. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

If Suica is designated as an express card, then Apple Pay is always active on the watch. It's been that way here for more than two years. I have yet to read or hear of one person who has had money stolen from their by a thief wandering the streets of Japan with an NFC device.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just yesterday I was behind a woman trying to use Apple Pay at the local Chick FL A and it would not work. It took her 5 minutes of trying before she left hungry. I know it works most the time but does not work for people in front of me!

18. OBirder macrumors 6502

I think at this time there is room and need for both and no reason for both sides to argue strongly. I like Apply Pay (I agree it is more secure) and use it frequently. But I strongly support part of Newtons Apple's viewpoint.

1) I don't need Super Powers (Governments, Apple, Microsoft ...) to keep track of everything I do.

2) When Hurricane Charley hit Central Florida in 2004 I was able to experience on my own when a very well developed society does collapse quickly. Shops couldn't sell on any card service since their was no wireless cell service and no power. If they took credit cards is was the old way: Making an imprint and signing. Before the next hurricane my wife went to the bank to pick up cash. After 1 hour wait she did get $20 and was told if you come back in the afternoon you may get another $20. We were on the better side than most, since we had some "Cash" to pay for basic needs.

To me that is just the attitude of the person in front of you and has nothing to do with Apple Pay. Like anything new it will take some time to be perfect and flawless. As said, I do all 3: Apply Pay, Credit Card and Cash.
    If you would be in a line behind me and Apply Pay fails, I would immediately use one of the other two methods. If no-one is waiting, I try ApplePay again. This is a personal choice.

19. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

And Home Depot.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am thinking the woman ahead of me had other problems with Apple pay. She did not know what she was doing. Instead of a double click of her side button she was holding it down and activating Siri! She did it over and over again. I tried to help her and she gave me that "don't disrespect me look"!!! Stupid! A person behind me also yelled at her to press the button twice and that is when she bolted, hungry!

21. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

i work in a hospital and never carry a wallet due to wearing scrubs. apple pay is invaluable in allowing me to buy food/drinks in under 5 seconds, and without fail someone is always commenting on the technology nowadays.

22. scmill macrumors member

scmill

Same here. I always have a card with me in case Apple Pay or the terminal or my own ineptness fails.

23. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Japan is an extraordinarily safe and civic country compared to most western countries.

24. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Apple Pay has never failed for me. It always works.

25. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

There's been a handful of times when Face ID hasn't worked and it's forced me to put my PIN in, which is annoying and a bit of a step back from my old 8 Plus. Now I've got the watch I doubt I'll be using my phone for Apple Pay.