Apple Pay, best thing ever

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by danny842003, Jan 27, 2019.

1. the future macrumors 65816

Don‘t be so naive. There is a very good reason that there is a fixed limit (mostly 25-30 €/$/£) for payments with contactless cards without entering a pin - fraud is absolutely real and aleady happening on a pretty broad scale. Here is a report from the UK: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...card-fraud-overtakes-cheque-scams-first-time/

Is there no limit on pin-less payments with nfc cards in Japan? That would really surprise me.

2. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

You do realize that Apple Pay outside of straight cash is the most private system you can use. Apple themselves don’t know about the transaction, just an automatic way of them getting their little percentage, but everything is done via a unique ID that is different every time. The retailers you are buying from can’t track you either because the card number transmitted to their terminals is unique. The credit card provider is the only one that can really sell your data. Simple Bank assures me this is not a practice they do so my debit card transactions are very private under Apple Pay.

One of the key selling points in Apple Pay is privacy (the other obvious being convenience, I often leave the house with just my watch and its great not needing to hand the cashier a damp dollar bill after a run.

3. OBirder macrumors 6502

You seem to mix secure with private.

If I use Apply Pay, are you telling me Apple will not know at what retailer I spent money and how much?

4. musicpenguy, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019

musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Yes - ”Keep your purchases private.
    When you pay with a debit or credit card, Apple Pay doesn’t keep transaction information that can be tied back to you. And when you use Apple Pay Cash, information is stored only for troubleshooting, fraud prevention, and regulatory purposes.”

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Also - https://www.quora.com/Does-Apple-track-my-Apple-Pay-purchases

Collecting this data goes against Apple’s privacy philosophy of only collecting what is absolutely necessary. It would also be included in the data download mandated by GDPR, which it isn’t because they aren’t collecting this data. Retailers pay a small percentage, but nothing that is tracked to you rather a unique ID that is different every single time.

5. the future macrumors 65816

This is something that really bothers me: I can‘t count the number of times that, regarding privacy, Apple is lumped in with the other, indeed data hungry „tech giants“ (like Google, Amazon, Facebook) although Apple‘s whole modus operandi is basically exactly the opposite. Often there is an agenda to do so, but most of the time people are just to lazy and/or stupid to differentiate. That‘s why Apple need to shout their privacy stand from the rooftops, and not only in interviews with tech blogs that the general public will never read. Their product marketing should hammer this message home again and again and again.

6. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

This would have been awesome if this happened sooner. I was using Samsung pay at gas stations and it only worked 25% of the time.
    Now I drive an electric car that I don't make trips to gas stations anymore.

7. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Used my watch for Apple pay for the very first time the other day (not a lot of places in my area have it yet). It was awesome!

8. parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone was suggesting that we do that. You do realize that people are allowed to use BOTH Apple Pay AND cash in their lives right?
    I haven't used Apple Pay on my phone at a store ONCE. When I originally got the series 0 I still had my 5S at the time, so the watch was the only device I had that even supported it. The only time I've used it on my phone is for apps and websites that support it, like the App Store or GrubHub.
    Apple Pay always works in my experience, but I have run across plenty of terminals that are broken. For example, at the Panera I frequent the most contactless payment doesn't work on half the terminals. You never know whether the terminal you end up at is one that has it working or not until it's time to pay. Very frustrating.

9. KOTN91 macrumors member

I thought they still used cheques for everything in America :p

I’ve pretty much only used Apple Pay since mid 2017, initially on my phone and now 95% of the time on the watch. It’s pretty cool using it with FaceId on the XR too

10. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

I still get nervous if I truly don't know if the place has ApplePay and I feel like a jerk holding up the line trying to place and move my watch all over the terminal. :oops:

But when it works, its magical!

11. sh65746153 macrumors newbie

if you use ap all the time you get comfortable with it, my tip is to wait until you see the payment amount on the nfc terminal display and then hold your watch against it without rushing and being stressed(!), thats the way you get the least attention. activate ap on your watch up to 60s before payment. when you start touching nervous on your watch in front of the terminal, everybody will start watching you.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

13. BillGates1969 macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Serious question to all US based people.

In the the UK contactless payments are available in about 95% of all stores - all major ones and most the smaller ones. This means that any contactless device can be used for payments up to £30, actual Apple Pay is where a shop (Apple or M & S for example) accept Apple pay and the only limit is your funds.

Is this not the same in the US? Do you have normal contactless terminals? Basically I have been using my watch since I could add cards to it?

14. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

It's really weird to see people in the US marvelling at Apple Pay, it's been my daily routine for... literally years now.

15. MisterSavage macrumors 6502

MisterSavage

Very different here. I got my first contactless credit card last month.

More info:

https://www.ft.com/content/445a308c-02f3-11e9-9d01-cd4d49afbbe3

16. Monkswhiskers macrumors member

If you are a conspiricy theorist you might think that these things (CCTV/face recognition/cashless society etc.) are always trialled in the U.K first as we are so polite and afraid to kick up a fuss.

17. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

If there was one thing I'd change about Apple Pay, especially on the Watch, would be the ability to tap in and out of journeys on TfL; I believe you can set up a 'transport card' with Samsung Pay?

Other than that it's been a godsend when I've left my phone at home (or wallet) and I've been able to make a payment or use my reward cards to earn points.

18. bunce66 macrumors member

How is cash any more or less fake than numbers on a screen? If you want "real" money, then you'd better get some gold or silver bars, because all fiat money has no intrinsic value.

Many people prefer cash because it's untraceable, simple, and they simply don't want a paper trail of records of every transaction they've made for privacy reasons. For this reason, I prefer to be paid in cash and also pay in cash.

Apple Pay is an improvement over credit cards, but there are advantages to cash that it cannot replicate.

19. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Tonight, I found two more breweries that accept Apple Pay!

20. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Apple Pay on the watch feels like the future. And people literally look at you amazed when they see you pay with the Apple Watch.

21. scmill macrumors member

scmill

Particularly if you are going through a drive-thru!

22. parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

Every time I've tried to use it in a drive-thru they've told me the terminal is either bolted down or the cable is too short, including at McDonald's. I'll be literally staring at an Apple Pay sticker on the drive-thru window and the guy says I can't use it in the drive-thru.

23. scmill macrumors member

scmill

I guess anything is possible, but it just sounds like the cashier is unaware the terminal comes off the wall or is just lying. I went through McDonald's drive thru Wednesday afternoon, and I had to tell the cashier how to take the terminal down so that it would reach. He was stunned and said he had never seen anyone do that before. :rolleyes:

24. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

When I use Apple Pay on the watch it feels like I’m getting things for free

25. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

And then you log into your online banking.