Apple Pay Coming to Starbucks, KFC, and Chili's in 2016

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
In the UK, there's a contactless terminal and a separate bar code scanner. You either pay with the app, or Apple Pay...if it's Apple Pay, you don't collect stars or linked to the rewards programme. Not sure if the implementation will be the same/different in the US roll out.
I understand the current situation in the UK. But the article stated that Starbucks loyalty program will be connected to Apple Pay... only just to say that the status of rewards was still an unknown...

There's a loyalty program, or there is not...

Stupotpot

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I understand the current situation in the UK. But the article stated that Starbucks loyalty program will be connected to Apple Pay... only just to say that the status of rewards was still an unknown...

There's a loyalty program, or there is not...
Agree. At present, there's no incentive to use Apple Pay if you're a member. Hope they change that...

Reactions: mxmgodin

jimthing

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
In the UK, there's a contactless terminal and a separate bar code scanner. You either pay with the app, or Apple Pay...if it's Apple Pay, you don't collect stars or linked to the rewards programme. Not sure if the implementation will be the same/different in the US roll out.
Yep, this is certainly NOT available in the UK yet. We can use AP to load SB accounts, but CANNOT just pay from our AP connected debit/credit cards AND also collect the SB points.

Hence the exact point of this article.

Hope this happens sooner rather than later, as I absolutely loath having funds stuck on each individual reward card I may use, rather than just spending from my normal debit/credit card bank accounts (where ALL funds are still available to be used where wanted/needed at any time) just in order to earn such loyalty points.

What does it matter to them anyway? They get paid, I shop regularly in their shops, they get repeat business from me, I duly get loyalty points and thus an occasional freebie.
(and it really is occasional here in the UK, given they only give us a freebie for every 15 spends –not even every ITEM, thus I always make sure they charge each item separately(!)– rather than the 12 US folks get!!) :-(

Last edited:

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
If they're going to do this one company at a time, it's going to take a thousand years to become prevalent.

Then they can start accepting a cryptocurrency, and actually start making a meaningful cultural impact.
I'm not going to complain about progress. It's the retailers dragging their heels.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
On stage, Bailey said Apple was "fully committed to NFC," calling it the "best technology out there" for mobile payments. She also said Apple wants to bring Apple Pay to as many countries as possible in the future, expanding beyond the United Kingdom and the United States.
Just to be clear, it does work in Canada, just not for Canadians' Canadian Bank Cards.

It worked flawlessly for us in Vancouver with my American Credit Card back in May.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Good for them but they weren't exactly dependent on non-consensual data mining like most other major US retailers are. They're also not places people spend money at every day (with the possible exception of Starbucks).

Apple needs to make getting grocery stores and gas stations on board the highest priority; for instance, Kroger and Safeway (two of the biggest grocery chains in the US) will quite possibly keep NFC disabled. Those two categories are frankly the largest sources of spending for most Americans, not specialty stores like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
Why is it that USA is almost always behind the technology? This already works in Europe. I've used it last week in Prague and this week in London.
Will US ever catch up their own game? :))))))

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
The retail rollout is. So. Slow

It does not even work half the time and Panera now. And they were featured at the launch

At, it now does not work at Home Depot

The whole retail expansion plan is a mess. I hope Apple Execs understand this. If they don't, this thing is going to fail
I was so disappointed last weekend when I went to HD to get some painters tape for my 3D printer. I was expecting to just pay with my :apple:Watch and go, but the one in Lynnwood doesn't take it.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Why is it that USA is almost always behind the technology? This already works in Europe. I've used it last week in Prague and this week in London.
Will US ever catch up their own game? :))))))
I'm honestly expecting Apple Pay to flop in the US for in-person purchases. Apple's promotion of it as "secure" and "private" doesn't exactly resonate in a country where zero consumer liability for fraud is normal. Not to mention the continued merchant acceptance issues and the large number of terminals that still don't support chip (meaning that swiping is as or more convenient than AP).

maritimeseven

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
She also announced that Delta is launching Apple Pay in their Fly Delta app for iPhone today. Looks like they're holding true to their promise announced at WWDC this year.

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
A person with an iPhone using it to pay at Starbucks while surfing the web on his macbook. It's the most concentrated specific version of a hipster I can conjure. ^_^
I wonder what that speaks of one commenting on it...

sblemmy

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
Starbucks already supports Apple Pay in the app. I load my SB card and pay with the app on the Watch. It works really well.

Service restaurants, such as Chili's, getting on board with Apple Pay is more interesting. Put an NFC receiver on the server and let's start doing away with handing over cards and waiting, which is really insecure.

Also, the Apple Pay support announcements are pointless. Any business with active NFC payment terminals will accept Apple Pay unless they've disabled it. The really tiny grocery chain by my house (4 stores) accepts it despite not being an "official" Apple Pay retailer.

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
At this stage Samsung and Android pay will surpass Apple in terms of the rollout of contactless payments. What a sad state for iPhone users.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Starbucks and many chains have gone backwards in the UK. The company decided that the one in my city should do away with NFC and instead just have the barcode scanning.

Hope this is addressed in the future as NFC needs promoting better.
I don't suppose this is Nottingham is it? The bigger Starbucks have upgraded their POS terminals and apparently had readers installed without contactless. I said this was very odd and the barista agreed, said they were hoping to get them back but they still haven't.

It's really odd and makes no sense to me, especially since they are listed as supporting Apple Pay. Why add confusion and limit customer's payment options?

Suspended
Jul 1, 2014
It's already available in Starbucks and KFC in the UK :p

I know right?! Makes me laugh when practically everywhere I shop has AP now and the US is getting all hard over a coffee chain. Even Morrisons (a big UK supermarket) accepts it, which is great as I get about £30 worth of stuff every so often there.

Suspended
Jul 1, 2014
Thank goodness I don't drink that Sorry Excuse for Rusty Water Coffee, or that 3-lettered labeled Greasy Spoon. No wonder I didn't know Pay works there. I prefer better coffee and better food.

It works in Patisserie Valerie too. They make lovely coffee and have nice cakes.

Reactions: Stupotpot

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When are we going to get the announcement for Apple Pay in Canada? Late 2014, early 2015 there were rumours of this fall. But there has been zero info about it since. If we don't hear anything soon about a November launch then I guess we have another years wait for a "then" two year old feature.

Reactions: V.K.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I love this.. but don't eat fried chicken. :( I do however go to Chili's every now and again, so that't cool. I get about 1 Starbucks coffee every 3 weeks or so if that often. I will probably up my Starbucks intake. I do like their coffee.
I try to promote the hell out of Apple Pay.
We need more stores to accept Apple Pay. I use it a Walgreens a lot... We need more stores to accept Apple Pay.

Rigby

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
A person with an iPhone using it to pay at Starbucks while surfing the web on his macbook. It's the most concentrated specific version of a hipster I can conjure. ^_^
Real hipsters pay with their iWatch (while surfing the web on their Macbook and discussing the latest Beats headphones with a fellow hipster on their iPhone).

Reactions: Benjamin Frost