Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
PowerPage posted and unconfirmed rumor about a an Apple branded PDA wit h5" color screen, "pocket" OS X" and voice recognition.

Rumors of an Apple branded PDA arrise regularly (June, 02, May, 02, Jan, 02, Oct, 01)... but have yet to find any truth to them.

The most concrete evidence available are from Steve Jobs against the possbility of an Apple PDA. July 2001 Interview as well as recent comments at a Financial Analyst Meeting in which Jobs downplays the significant of the PDA in the future.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
might i add that that story is contributed by an anonymous person...it says so before the story...I wouldn't get your hopes up on this.... If we get an Apple PDA in two months...I'll eat my shoe!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yeah... it's something most sites wouldn't have ever published... but it's out there, and people are going to talk about it...

arn

stevesien

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Okinawa
APPLE PDA-more sources

Hi,
I got a hot tip from a friend of mine. His sister was at MWNY. She knows a janitor at the JAvits Center where MWNY was held.
This janitor was cleaning a Men's bathroom area one day , during the Expo, he found a curious piece of paper in the waste basket, he thought the drawing on it was unusual,.
The janitior had the piece of paper in his pocket, and that afternoon went for a break in a neraby cafeteria where he ran into my friend'S sister. The janitor asked for her new ph. number , the janitor, looking for a piece of paper to write on, pullled out the piece of paper he had found in the John. The woman, Mary Lou, took the piece of paper to write and noticed a drawing of a rectangular device with a small screen-like area with OSX.p sketched on the screen area and some notes on the side.
She happened to be an avid Mac user who in fact was on
her way to MWNY. So seeing OSX she immediately guessed she might have found something interesting.
Anway,the notes scribbled on th paper read as best I could make out (how I got the note is not important) :

"1) compat. other PD OS.
2) New name for os
3)Phone capable, HS internet.
4)under 400$
5)Dec. ship, w new G5"

Then the most intirguing part , the last note on the bottom.

"To Jg , get report on this, this week. SJ"

Looks like solid proof to me. December ship date for an APPLE PDA.

Louigi

:confused:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Apple PDA - 2 Mo?

Originally posted by arn
PowerPage posted and unconfirmed posting in their chat:

"an all-in-one device that looked a lot like the iPod but with a smaller scroll wheel and a bigger screen. the text mentioned mp3 player, phone, custom rings, media player, full quicktime support (including aac), inkwell support, a pc card slot, 20 and 40 GB drives, firewire and usb ports, plus bluetooth and airport built-in. "

Assuming all of this is false rumour, what I find interesting is it is all fully realistic to do by Apple essentially immediately.

Another poster speculated tivo like functionality would be part of the OS soon. OSX.3? Or a near term update to Jagwire?

That $129 is looking better and better every day.

Rocketman

:cool:

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Re: APPLE PDA-more sources

Originally posted by stevesien
Hi,
I got a hot tip from a friend of mine. His sister was at MWNY. She knows a janitor at the JAvits Center where MWNY was held.
This janitor was cleaning a Men's bathroom area one day , during the Expo, he found a curious piece of paper in the waste basket, he thought the drawing on it was unusual,.
The janitior had the piece of paper in his pocket, and that afternoon went for a break in a neraby cafeteria where he ran into my friend'S sister. The janitor asked for her new ph. number , the janitor, looking for a piece of paper to write on, pullled out the piece of paper he had found in the John. The woman, Mary Lou, took the piece of paper to write and noticed a drawing of a rectangular device with a small screen-like area with OSX.p sketched on the screen area and some notes on the side.
her way to MWNY. So seeing OSX she immediately guessed she might have found something interesting.
Anway,the notes scribbled on th paper read as best I could make out (how I got the note is not important) :

"1) compat. other PD OS.
2) New name for os
4)under 400$
5)Dec. ship, w new G5"

Louigi

uh....yeah....from the bathroom....Bahahaaaaaaa Anyone...and I mean, anyone could put that in the bathroom....damn garbage pickers!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: Re: APPLE PDA-more sources

Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger

uh....yeah....from the bathroom....Bahahaaaaaaa Anyone...and I mean, anyone could put that in the bathroom....damn garbage pickers!

some people...nm.

:rolleyes:

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
TRUE!

Don't poo-poo this so quickly! Listen to this...

I was in the supermarket today, right? Just shopping for some of the usual items - milk, eggs, fruit, butter... Anyway, I went to the produce section and starting picking out some mangos. Mmmm, mangos. I love them gooood. So I picked out three ripe ones and put them in a bag. I went to go get on line, but since I only had a few items, I went to the express line. I put the mangos on the scale, and the cashier rang up $3.00. I told her that the sign by the mangos said that they were 75 cents each, but she told ME that she rang them up by the pound. So after a long argument I managed to get her to charge me 75 cents for each, and I walked out with my three nice mangos. I went home, sliced them up, and had them with some vanilla ice cream. Yum.

SEE??? UNDENIABLE PROOF that Apple is shipping a PDA-like device in December.

-- J

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Re: TRUE!

Originally posted by JtheLemur
Don't poo-poo this so quickly! Listen to this...

I was in the supermarket today, right? Just shopping for some of the usual items - milk, eggs, fruit, butter... Anyway, I went to the produce section and starting picking out some mangos. Mmmm, mangos. I love them gooood. So I picked out three ripe ones and put them in a bag. I went to go get on line, but since I only had a few items, I went to the express line. I put the mangos on the scale, and the cashier rang up $3.00. I told her that the sign by the mangos said that they were 75 cents each, but she told ME that she rang them up by the pound. So after a long argument I managed to get her to charge me 75 cents for each, and I walked out with my three nice mangos. I went home, sliced them up, and had them with some vanilla ice cream. Yum.

SEE??? UNDENIABLE PROOF that Apple is shipping a PDA-like device in December.

-- J

Hahahaaaa! Your cool!

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Oh yeah, well, my cat puked on my doormat last night, and when I was cleaning it off, it made a picture of the Virgin Mary, but that's not the point... I tried to wash it off some more, and it made a picture of a device that looked like an iPod, except with a bigger screen, and no scroll wheel. It seemed to be running a version of OS X. Anyways, I really wanted to get my doormat clean, so I tried to wash it off some more, but Steve Jobs came up to my house in a black limo, and confiscated the doormat, so now I have to buy a new doormat...

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I dunno about all you people, but after eating a combo of nachos w/hot peppers and having 2 large bowls of vanilla ice cream afterwards, I think I dreamed of a small, squarish object that seemed to be running a version of OS X. It had a touchpad and a stylus with a large stickie note attached that said "Release in Decembe..." (The rest of it was smeared.)

But as I reached out to touch it, it suddenly sprouted legs and started to run. As I gave chase, I realised that I was not making any headway.

It seemed that we were on a treadmill running ever faster, but I'm not really sure....

The last thing I can remember is that a smallish, ugly gnome in a black turtleneck and blue jeans with the letters "SJ" emblazoned upon it's chest, quietly, but forcefully requested that I cease my attempt to capture the mythical "iWalk."

Either that or I dreamed about cows, but I can't really remember.

:p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Shhhhhh

Maybe it's a portable QuickTime jukebox. Think about it. No video tape, no DVD, just portable video stored.

It's a better guess than a PDA since Steve Jobs is still upset about Newton.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
From a financial perspective this would be very dumb for Apple to launch a PDA on the market. There would be very little to gain from doing this as opposed to releasing a more advanced iPod.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area

Hi,

"1) compat. other PD OS.
2) New name for os
4)under 400$
5)Dec. ship, w new G5"

Louigi

YEAH...RIGHT. Nice story though but highly unlikely for a janitor to pull that out off the trash.

spoon

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2002
santiago, chile
Originally posted by hitman

Either that or I dreamed about cows, but I can't really remember.

this has been one the best threads i've read to date, it's just so refreshing to see that mac users are generally more creative than the rest of the crowd..

heh.. nice

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
**Me saves pic for further refrence.**

Although you have to admit, this thread was DOA. Who really expects to see an Apple PDA? I thought so.. :)

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by spoon

this has been one the best threads i've read to date, it's just so refreshing to see that mac users are generally more creative than the rest of the crowd..

heh.. nice

yeah its all good fun. :)

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
this is absolute drizzle. just read the specs

* An Apple PDA is coming in about two months
* 5" color screen
* Regular size hard drive, about 10gb
* Built in FireWire
* Running special pocket OS X, still UNIX based

regular size hard drive? uh huh...

and like they have to mention that osx is "still unix based"

whoever wrote this knows next to nothing about computers. a standard 3.5" hard drive in a pda?!?!? and o pocket osx is still unix based. whoever wrote this is the worst kind of liar (a stupid one).

i love pda rumors. i mean its clear people need/want something, but as long as you are going to make stuff up, please at least make it up well enough so we can drool over the possibility. this is just so bad its embarrassing.

chuckzee

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Yugoslavia

Hi,
The janitior had the piece of paper in his pocket, and that afternoon went for a.........
Louigi

Oh yeah? after MWNY, I wrote the words "APPLE PDA"; with my shait and my sperm in all the bathrooms at Kennedy Airport.---

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Shrek
I SURE HOPE IT'S TRUE!!! THIS MEANS MORE COMPATIBILITY WITH MY MAC, RIGHT?!?! I COULD DO MORE WITH THIS THING!!!

charming :) but yes, one would think. Have to admit it would be cool... i'm designing a computer controlled entertainment system and it could be the remote. Ah well, doesn't sound like it's going to happen...

btw, anyone heard of any wireless trackpads? i would kill for one...

:)
pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.