Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackamacj

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2002
HB, Surf City
Re: Re: Look at the Picture

No, I didn't mean it that way, My impression was that Stock Investors won't run away from Apple like they did with Palm & Handspring. Now, I use my palm every single day, my dad uses his at work, my mom uses hers, we are a wired family, every single one of us has palms and they sync perfectly with the Mac, making it a complete digital hub, but if apple manufactures a PDA, I would definalty buy the palm, unseen, and continue to buy more stock. As you have seen with the iPod, and the new iMac, apple has some killer products, many of whom are designed to look "cool" if people like the iPod, like my mom does, then its just another thing to catapult earnings, thus driving up the stock price, not lowering it like you have said. I don't think the Market needs a "killer PDA" but it needs one that does something and does it good. Most PDAs now store pictures, play movies and make cell phone calls. I just want something that is integrated with my mac, and has the ease of use of a OS X machine. I don't want a Cell Phone, I don't want Wireless Internet, I don't want to play movies, I don't want to store / Take pictures. I think, with the earlier introduction of the Apple Newton, they showed that they can make the product, its just consumers didn't want it then, now with demand for the iPod, iMac, and other products (Powerbook G4) they have something to bundle with it if they want.
I don't expect apple to really release a PDA at the MacWorld conference, but there is hope, thats why this site is here. But just remember, Apple still owns the Newton OS, and newton OS was made to run on the RISC processor. Palm and Most Pocket PC's are going to be on Risc Processors. Is there any chance of Apple updating the Newton OS and letting people have it to run on their palms/ Pocket PC's?

I would be grateful if Steve Jobs even let us take a sneek peak at some of the stuff they are designing, let alone release new products. All I want is something that does what I want it to do. BASIC PDA FUNCTIONS. I don't need to play music, and as I said before, who really does?

clevergirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Quicktime 6 and "**** Tracy" PDA

Remember the "eMac for everyone" announcement? The other announcement that day was the preview of QuickTime 6 and QuickTime Broadcaster. I gave myself a dope slap for being surprised.

Now I won't be surprised when Apple releases their own PDA and Steve demos it streaming MPEG-4 video and AAC audio.

What would be really cool is if it could broadcast MPEG-4 too.

alm

hackamacj

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2002
HB, Surf City
Re: Quicktime 6 and "**** Tracy" PDA

Originally posted by clevergirl
Remember the "eMac for everyone" announcement? The other announcement that day was the preview of QuickTime 6 and QuickTime Broadcaster. I gave myself a dope slap for being surprised.

Now I won't be surprised when Apple released their own PDA and Steve demos it streaming MPEG-4 video and AAC audio.

What would be really cool is if it could broadcast MPEG-4 too.

alm

Ok, I don't want to sound negative or anything, but this all relates back to a internet connection or something, why wouldn't somebody have a laptop for that. You would also need a scaled down version of the QTSS, and that, being as cool as it could be, would take up space and system resources. What were you expecting? A G3 or G4 Palm device? Thats a long way off, do you know ho much heat these things give off, imagine all of that in your hand, it would have to be one big heatsink.

clevergirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
scrubbing the image

Re: the pda videos and pictures of http://home.no.net/macosx/: Going by word shape, the icons in the preference panel aren't labeled with the text typically used in Mac OS X. I can make out some of the labels: Device (?), Storage, Communications, QuickTime Player, Interface (?) and Input. Not alphabetical, hmmmm. But, wait! Note the Device icon. Tada, there's the author's conceptualization of the Apple PDA. A cross between a Palm and an iPod.

Notice the software is Apple only. The iChat icon doesn't include AOL's running figure. And the Applications menu doesn't include Acrobat Reader or Internet Explorer. I point this out because it's possible that someone else wrote the software. Why take so much care to keep the software Apple-only and then demo using a Palm facade?

alm

scott_meinzer

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2002
So Quick To Judge

man you guys are all so quick to judge this is a post from spycam from months ago this guy hacked his palm and put in a g4 and stuff(if you believe him)(links below) and he posted a pic of the hd on the back of the palm on spymac, and the a pic with os x(links below) this is not apple's anything it's just somone with a normal version of os x(screen size problem in pics) on his pda, so the screen isn't scaled correctly and it look like a palm because it is a hacked palm not for apple.

Urls:
they were on spy mac but were deleted i think, i am still looking

but basically there was a pic with the hard drive hack it the back of the palm (connected via serial port) and other pic of it runing os x

/Scott

P.S. try and get the facts

Re: scrubbing the image

Originally posted by clevergirl
Re: the pda videos and pictures of http://home.no.net/macosx/: Going by word shape, the icons in the preference panel aren't labeled with the text typically used in Mac OS X. I can make out some of the labels: Device (?), Storage, Communications, QuickTime Player, Interface (?) and Input. Not alphabetical, hmmmm. But, wait! Note the Device icon. Tada, there's the author's conceptualization of the Apple PDA. A cross between a Palm and an iPod.

Notice the software is Apple only. The iChat icon doesn't include AOL's running figure. And the Applications menu doesn't include Acrobat Reader or Internet Explorer. I point this out because it's possible that someone else wrote the software. Why take so much care to keep the software Apple-only and then demo using a Palm facade?

alm
wow you are a clever girl;)
good observation, i hadnt notised that.:D

hackamacj

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2002
HB, Surf City
Via Previous Conversations

Don't make me start again. As the group said earlier, I didnt' say it but read it. We discussed it to be illogical to run OS X off a serial port unless you seriously ramped up the throughput through the device. as a serial port you can't really do much, thats why theres not an external "commercial" hard drive for the palm, it would cause a buffer over run on the hard drive. Its been proven with CD Writers, if you have a fast burner, but a slow computer, you can't burn at the fast speeds, the computer can't keep up, causing everything to be crap.

clevergirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Re: Re: Quicktime 6 and "Richard Tracy" PDA

Originally posted by hackamacj

Ok, I don't want to sound negative or anything, but this all relates back to a internet connection or something, why wouldn't somebody have a laptop for that. You would also need a scaled down version of the QTSS, and that, being as cool as it could be, would take up space and system resources. What were you expecting? A G3 or G4 Palm device? Thats a long way off, do you know ho much heat these things give off, imagine all of that in your hand, it would have to be one big heatsink.

We're having a little vocabulary disconnect here. I expect a pda device capable of downloading and playing MPEG-4 video like the cell phone demoed during Phil Shiller's QuickTime Live keynote.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/qtlive02/

Note I said broadcasting would be nice...a coup in fact. But, no doubt, there are obstacles.

alm

hackamacj

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2002
HB, Surf City
Re: Re: Re: Quicktime 6 and "Richard Tracy" PDA

I would expect a device to do that exact thing, but remember if he "Steve Jobs" doesn't introduce Quicktime 6 at MacWorld and then introduces and iPad, or PDA device made by apple, it probably won't have quicktime 6 installed, probably quicktime 5. But you would have to have some sort of internet connection on the PDA device to download this stuff, which would be great but be expensive. What would be great, built in airport connectivity, but you have to remember, battery power matters. With the encoding that you could do for a movie, if you had the space on the PDA you could store the files, its just how to download them, Firewire? Wireless? Ethernet? Modem? How would you do that, I can't really wait, but you have to figure that there will be something. but if it was going to be a 2x2 inch screen, like a palm, you have to figure that you probably WONT wan't to view a movie on that.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Like an old tired whore this rumor keeps coming back to tempt us even though noone wants it and few would risk believing it because they've been burned so many times.

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple

not only is he running osX but he is running jaguar, see the iChat icon. so i highly doubt that this guy is just some joe without some access inside apple. thea is if its real:D

In addition, there is a forward button in the finder. Under 10.1.4 there is only a back button. Can anyone verify whether in the current developer release of Jaguar there is a forward button. If not, this is more evidence that this he has some connections with apple.

michaelyoung

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
Originally posted by benjaminpg

this is more evidence that this he has some connections with apple.

um...hasn't a developers release of jaguar been out for a month or more?

it doesn't seem like anyone would need to be very "connected" to have access to it..

While I believe that apple has a PDA under development I would bet my TiBook that _this_ is not it....!!!

my

clevergirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
iPad and Jaguar

Originally posted by hackamacj
With the encoding that you could do for a movie, if you had the space on the PDA you could store the files, its just how to download them, Firewire? Wireless? Ethernet? Modem?

Any new device would be married to Jaguar which we've been told has Q6, Ink and iChat. And look at other features for the new Mac OS: a new address book, handwriting recognition and Sherlock 3 (that went to school on Watson) with maps, yellow pages and airline flight searches. This feature set blatantly supports a PDA release.

But that's just the software. The big question mark, as you point out, is what comm? Probably Firewire and wireless. Maybe even a Bluetooth option?

alm

clevergirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by michaelyoung

While I believe that apple has a PDA under development I would bet my TiBook that _this_ is not it....!!!

I agree...but I'll have to bet my Wallstreet since the Pismo belongs to work.

alm

Originally posted by michaelyoung

um...hasn't a developers release of jaguar been out for a month or more?

it doesn't seem like anyone would need to be very "connected" to have access to it..

my
yea the developer's releice has been out for a wile, i was just mentioning that he must have had some connections with apple.

clevergirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Crazy thought

PC-compatible iPod and iPad?

Imagine Apple saying to Windoz masses, "Thinking of switching? Get the mac 'ease of use' experience for under $500."

Then, you know, the old bait and switch. See, once you tempt them into the store, so many will walk out with an iMac instead... or, like my hero Dave Haxton, with a Cinema Display and PowerMac.

alm

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Let us not forget Transmeta as a possible cpu. Unless I missed it in this thread no one has mentioned them so I figure I'd throw a little gas on the fire. ;)

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
who cares.....

WHAT EYE SAYS!...Some of you guys make such a big deal about WHAT EYE is going to say because of a new PDA rumor...*BFD*..I cringe everytime there is a rumor because I hate to see IDIOTS write; "uh-huh...What is eye going to say...errr...He (or she, apparently) is going to have a field day...ERRGH,....duh...*DORKs!*...Get on with the rumor....

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
As far as I can tell, Apple has always created products that are un-arguably useful, under any circumstances. The iPod, for example, is useful to anyone who likes to listen to music. It is doubly useful if you happen to like to be able to transport information in large quantities without having to deal with the hassle of floppies or supper floppies, or burning a cd if you only need a few files, etc. In a certain way, I see it as their answer to iOmega's zip drives. but maybe that's stretching it a bit. While their are many good points being raised in favor of an Apple pda, particularly some of clevergirls points, I do not think that a pda, as the current standards for their functionality exist, is un-arguably useful. A case in point: efficient input of information. Ink may well revolutionize handwriting recognition, and I hope that it does, but i do not think that it will be to such a point that will make it more efficient than typing. If you attach a keyboard to a palm or similar device, basically what you have is an underpowered laptop unit withoput enough hard drive space, memory or processing power, and without a reasonable means of internet access. I may well be in the minority here, but to me, a pda is an overpriced toy. It is my opinion that Apple would not ever market anything that could be described as an overpriced toy. Not to mention anything that could be accurately described as underpowered. They already have enough of that type of name calling to deal with. Of course, this is coming from someone that still uses a PowerMac 6500, because it does everything that I want it to (except run OS X). Actually, it is because I am a violinist and I am broke. Go figure. Just a thought.

BlairMALL

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Who is really Faking...?

See, now, this is interesting. There's a collective sigh every time this rumor comes around, and of course the vibe from Apple is "Great, they're buying it... suckers!" But here's the thing. If Apple truly did release a sleak PDA, with their OS, that worked seamlessly with their products, wouldn't each and everyone of us take a serious look at it? I, for one, would be thrilled to move beyond MS lackluster support for the Palm conduit. Pipe dreams? Maybe. But I loved my Newton and... well... I think it'd be like coming home again.

I thought Damon represented people who "switched" from PC to Apple. Now we discover that he owned a Newton! False Advertising.

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
A thought

With Apples current losses in revenue, do they really need to take a chance on a PDA? Is this really a market Apple needs to enter?

I believe the person who did the video should be commended for a superb job of finding a new use for a Palm Pilot.

Time to move on.:rolleyes:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Quite frankly I do not see the need for an Apple PDA. I see Apple as keeping their products as simple as possible. The iPod is an excellent example. Apple simply integrated a portable Hard Drive with a handheld mp3 player. And have you noticed how there have been third party software developers developing all sorts of useful extras? I think that it's saying something, that Apple doesn't want their products to get too complex, but they will allow free (or in some cases, shareware) software add-ons to make the iPod more customizable for each individual user. I mean, what if Apple had all these add-ons on their iPods? Then the word "unique" would basically become obsolete and IMO the iPod would be too complex. Especially since some people don't use some of these features and since probably very few people use ALL of the add-ons for the iPod it wouldn't make sense to include all of this excess material on a product that is simple and will be made simple. I would think that if you make something complex with all of these add-ons you are turning it into a close relative of a Palm PDA or something like that. Just keep everything simple and let each individual user customize the iPod the way he/she wants to.

BTW, chewbaccapits, we only joke around with eye. If you don't like the joke, don't read it. :cool:

clevergirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Switchers and PDA

Originally posted by BlairMALL
I thought Damon represented people who "switched" from PC to Apple. Now we discover that he owned a Newton! False Advertising.

Ah, but see that's interesting. He owned and worked with PCs but bought a Newton. These small devices are a bit of a Trojan horse. Get in the heads and hearts of PCers.

So the PDA wouldn't necessarily be marketed to the loyal 5% but the on-the-fence wannabes who need a little push to join us.

I don't think an Apple-only PDA would be viable. They would want it to play well with Windoz boxes and that's ANOTHER thing that Apple has promised with Jaguar.

If a PC-compatible iPod comes out, then I'd say a PC-compatible PDA is on its heels (if not the same solution).

alm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.