Apple Phasing Out Magic Mouse in Favor of Magic Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Cult of Mac reports that Apple is planning to discontinue its multi-touch Magic Mouse in the relatively near future, pushing users to adopt the Magic Trackpad in order to make full use of the new gestures included in OS X Lion. According to the source, who is apparently in Apple's retail arm, Apple is not replenishing inventories of the Magic Mouse at its stores as they run low.
    We find this rumor difficult to believe unless Apple is planning to introduce a new mouse capable of registering the more advanced gestures found in Lion, as significant numbers of users strongly prefer mice to trackpads for their input needs.

[​IMG]

Users could certainly turn to third-party solutions for their mice needs if Apple were to indeed move to offer only the Magic Trackpad, but it seems implausible that the company would go as far as to eliminate its packages of mouse-based systems such as the iMac. Apple has begun offering the option of either a Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad as part of their iMac purchases, but we believe that many users would be unwilling to either be forced to switch to a trackpad or to have to look for a third-party mouse vendor.

Apple has, however, often been ahead of the curve when it comes to discontinuing features it views as outdated, most recently with the removal of the integrated optical drive from the Mac mini.

It should also be noted that Apple does continue to offer a wired mouse option both as a standalone purchase and bundled with desktop Mac purchases. The Apple Mouse, formerly known as the Mighty Mouse, offers a clickable scroll ball and a touch-sensitive shell, but is not capable of recognizing multi-touch and other gestures. There has been no mention of whether Apple is also planning to phase out its wired mouse.

Article Link: Apple Phasing Out Magic Mouse in Favor of Magic Trackpad?

2. TMRaven, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I like the magic mouse way too much. :( Hopefully they will have a new and improved magic mouse successor, and not just the pad.

3. digdug6969 macrumors newbie

Usb

I want a Magic Trackpad with USB and not Bluetooth. :(

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Wow, going mouse free eh? Not a big fan of the magic mouse anyhow.

5. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

I hope not.

I still need Mice. Trackpad can't play games, amongst other things :p

6. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Glad I got one when it first came out!

I have a trackpad too, but it hurts my wrist if i use it too long. Goodbye any professional work!! It's impossible to use that thing for Photoshop, Dreamweaver or InDesign.

I think this phase out of the mouse is premature.

7. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

Cult Of Mac has about a 0% reliability rating

8. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

The Magic Trackpad sucks. Apple's laptops have the best trackpads of any, but I still prefer a conventional mouse or Magic Mouse to using a trackpad. IMO this is a really bad decision, and I hope my Magic Mouse never breaks since you'll have to pay more than retail to get one off eBay or what not.

9. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Yikes I hope not. I prefer the trackpad but even the trackpad has its own issues imo. On a desk its difficult to use it in a totally comfortable position in my experience. I still use it a fair bit but it feels somewhat awkward to use at times, compared to my macbook air's trackpad. But then again, this magic trackpad is controlling a 27 inch mac, so maybe thats why.

Even so, bad decision.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think they should keep it for users who actually want a mouse.
    I don't need a second trackpad for my laptop lol

11. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

12. iBug2 macrumors 68040

This doesn't really seem plausible at all. There's no way Apple will go mouse free, especially since the biggest market for desktop macs involves drawing on a daily basis.

13. Jswoosh macrumors member

yeah i couldn't imagine using my iMac without the magic mouse.

14. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

But, if I want a trackpad I would get a laptop. :rolleyes:

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Booo!!!! The Magic Trackpad is just about pointless for most people.

TEG

17. RebelScum macrumors 6502

You mean I'm gonna have to dish out $4 for a Logitech optical if I wanna get my Left 4 Dead on?? #TheHorror

18. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

I love both Apple's mouse and trackpad, but sadly can't make use of them on my desktop. I like to play games occasionally, and a ~5-button mouse comes in handy. I can't quite justify maintaining two inputs just to have more-fancy control of the OS.

Use Logitech here.

19. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I predict a run on mouses. Try working in Photoshop or Illustrator with a trackpad. Ouf. Horrible.

20. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Oh come on Apple. The track pad sucks for editing. You clearly don't give a crap about Professionals anymore. You got these consumers wrapped around your finger so tight these days it's sad.

21. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Those of us who do that don't use mice.

22. gaz81 macrumors member

gaz81

I would have the next logical step would be for MacBooks, iMacs, cinema displays etc to have capacitive touch screens.

23. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

For the foreseeable future, there will be a place for both mice and trackpads. However, it's always difficult to foresee what kind of 'revolutionary' path Apple wants to take users down next. So, while this rumour might be false for the time being, it's the kind of news that wouldn't be particularly shocking when and if it finally came to pass.

24. ghostlines macrumors regular

ghostlines

This mouse is so sweet and easy to use. Feels so natural, scrolling is a breeze.
    It would really be a shame if they discontinued such a great device.

The Magic Trackpad is nice but it sucks that you can't click anywhere on it, only at the 2 bottom corners. And you have to click much harder than you do on the MacBooks.

Just because you can't do all the gestures on the magic mouse doesn't mean it should be scrapped. Thank goodness this is just a rumor :rolleyes:

25. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I really hope this is not true and that, instead, we see a new mouse join the lineup. I even use a Magic Mouse with my MBA, when possible.