Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Good. Apple makes the worse mouse I've ever used and the best trackpad i've ever used. If I want a mouse I'll go with Logitech anyway.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
This has to be the worst move ever, if its true that is.. I'm a web designer, how does Apple expect us to work without one? Using a trackpad for work is probably impossible, we rely on accuracy. This will also be bad for gamers..

Anyway I don't believe this can be true, they just released Lion, and in the demo they were using a Magic Mouse with multi-touch gestures, so I don't see why they would phase it out at this stage..

We can still buy Non-Apple mice, so it won't be the end of the world, but I don't see why they would do this at all, I think most of us prefer a mouse over trackpad..

Your last paragraph says it all..

I think they expect you to buy one of the billion other mice offered by distributors out there. They aren't dropping mouse support, they're dropping their own (magic) mouse.

MR.Raul

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sweden
The only thing the Magic Mouse is good at, is getting dusty and looking pretty doing so.
Get a real mouse like the Logitech Performance Mouse MX.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah Apple hasn't been great with mice in terms of ergonomics, and they've always been fairly pricey..

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
I do use both, the Trackpad and the Magic Mouse. I do love the Mouse though, hope Apple provides a successor.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just ditched my magic mouse for the track pad when I upgraded to lion, I like the switch

I've found that I need both, like I wrote above.

If I'm surfing or doing things 'in general', the trackpad is great. If I'm doing precise things, I enjoy the mouse more.

Try this: move the cursor real slowly across the screen, try to align the cursor between two letters. This frustrates the bejesus out of me using a trackpad. I love doing this with a mouse.

Then try using a mouse to move the cursor across the entire screen, back and forth, many times, or scroll down a large website using the mouse wheel. Very annoying! This is what I need a track pad for.

So, depending on your situation, you can use one or the other, or both. I'm a coder. I need precise movement of the mouse cursor for text, and enjoy easy swipes of the trackpad to change my screens from coding, documentation and testing screens. (Before the trackpad, I was using the middle mouse button to show me Expose/Spaces, and then chosing a space, and then back to work on the new screen - now it's just a swipe away)

Plas00

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

darthraige said:
Oh come on Apple. The track pad sucks for editing. You clearly don't give a crap about Professionals anymore. You got these consumers wrapped around your finger so tight these days it's sad.

For everyone posting comments like the one above: THIS IS A RUMOR, YOU ARE READING A RUMOR SITE PEOPLE.

Save your moaning until and only IF Apple actually discontinues their mouse offering (which I dont think / hope they will).

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I wish Apple would actually come out with a mouse that is ergonomic. I'm sorry but Apple has never come out with one good mouse in my book.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don’t believe this one. Gestures on the Magic Mouse are great: even more iPad-like than on the trackpad, I’d say (although it doesn’t support as many different gestures). These mice are not outdated, and they’re popular sellers, as I understand it!

Now there will be a run on them, like Classic Coke...

(I’m biased... I tried to buy one yesterday and they were out :eek: Hopefully that means nothing. Or a revised version. I LOVE the scrolling on the Magic Mouse, and no other mouse will do!)

I’ll also stick up for trackpads: they do have the precision for work (and even games); I use my internal Apple trackpad nearly 100% of the time. But mice have their place, too.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Have to disagree. I'm absolutely in love with the new Apple keyboards.

I've never been fan of Apple mice. The puck mouse, the nipple mouse, and now the not-so-magic mouse. My 27" iMac came with a Magic Mouse and I haven't used it except when my regular (Logitech) mouse runs out of batteries.

Apple, feel free to discontinue your mice--so long as I can continue using mine.

I'm quite the opposite. I had a logitech mouse (still do) but once I got the magic mouse I can't stand to use the logitech mouse (The magic mouse's movements seem a lot smoother and a lot easier to finely control too and I like that I can just slide my finger up and down or sideways to scroll... I'm not reliant on a scroll wheel that has clicks so not so fine control on scrolling and I can't sideways scroll). And I love being able to go back and forward on a webpage without moving my hand from the mouse.

I'll agree with you on every other Apple mouse though from the puck mouse to the one before the magic mouse.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Apple has never gotten any of my money when it comes to mice. They've been historically a joke when it comes to the mouse. It took them how long to adapt a secondary click???

I'll continue buying Logitech mice. Theyre boss.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Do what you want Apple, I'll be using a mouse until something better comes along!

I love my Trackpad, but when it comes to working, gaming... pretty much the reasons why I bought my iMac in the first place - I use a mouse.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
yea i would love to work on a complex character animation using a trackpad-how many people with laptops buy a mouse??

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I wouldn't be surprised, I've preferred trackpads for years and I'd a magic one if I ever used a desktop.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm totally going to be like the crazy incondcent light bulb lovers. I'll buy all that I can get my hands on! I love love love my magic mouse.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
This mouse is so sweet and easy to use. Feels so natural, scrolling is a breeze.
It would really be a shame if they discontinued such a great device.

The Magic Trackpad is nice but it sucks that you can't click anywhere on it, only at the 2 bottom corners. And you have to click much harder than you do on the MacBooks.

Just because you can't do all the gestures on the magic mouse doesn't mean it should be scrapped. Thank goodness this is just a rumor :rolleyes:

What do you mean you can only click on the bottom two corners? I'm pretty sure this pad next to me lets me click any where on it.

So when I got the new iMac I decided to try both the magic mouse and the track pad. I'll let you know how the magic mouse works, once I use it... So far it sits on my desk looking at my track pad with envy. Seriously though, the magic mouse might be the worst thing I've ever seen Apple produce. Whats with those two hard plastic bars on the bottom. I hate how they scratch against whatever it sits on. I have said, more than once, that the track pad is my favorite thing about the new iMac!

And then I downloaded Better Touch Tool.... wow! I work from home, 10 to 12 hours a day on the mac, and I never touch a mouse. I'm sure there are specific things that the pad doesn't excel at, such as gaming, but give it time. As far as the other 90% of the things I do on the computer though, it works way better than my mouse ever did. Not sure how it hurt the one posters wrists, but my arm sits on the arm rest of my chair with my fingers right over the pad. The only time it needs to move is typing. With the mouse, I have to grab it and move it around. Much more arm fatigue imo with the mouse.

And if you have productivity on the brain, then gestures are your ticket. I have my pad divided into blocks, and I can touch, tap, sweep, flip, and tip tap (yeah look it up) all of them with different results. My productivity is way up! Now add in some speech recognition and maybe I can dump this cumbersome keyboard.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Meh. I have my Razer Deathadder. Nothing else compares. :D As for the multitouch gestures, count me out until I can touch the screen.

Attachments

• razer-deathadder-gallery1.jpg
    razer-deathadder-gallery1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 143

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
In that case, why isn't the current Trackpad being phased out for the same reason?
It's probably that Apple is working on it and will release it at some time in the not-too-distant future. Nothing has been officially announced by Apple, it's all hearsay at this point anyhow.

It's more likely that people will use a mouse as an optional peripheral with a notebook like the Air instead of another trackpad since the Air already has one.

Having a higher power peripheral with the Mac mini is less of an issue since the Mac mini runs on AC and you can just walk to the battery charger and grab a pair of fully charged AAs when you get the low battery alert from the Magic Trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.