Apple Planning 10.5" iPad Pro in 2017, 'Revolutionary' OLED iPad as Soon as 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has released a new research report outlining his expectations for the future of Apple's iPad lineup, predicting three new iPads ranging from 9.7 inches to 12.9 inches to be released in 2017.

[​IMG]

According to Kuo, Apple is aiming to introduce a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro model next year to go along with a 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2 and a "low-cost" 9.7-inch iPad model. Kuo makes no mention about the fate of the current 7.9-inch iPad mini, although many have assumed that model may be phased out as the recent 5.5-inch iPhone "Plus" models have helped lessen demand for Apple's smallest tablet.
    Looking even further ahead, Kuo predicts "revolutionary" changes for the iPad lineup for 2018 "at the earliest," with Apple making "radical" changes to the iPad's design and shifting to an AMOLED display.
    Kuo remains conservative in his predictions of iPad shipments, cutting his total 2016 shipment forecast from 45-50 million to 35-40 million due in large part to a lack of new models before the end of the year. Even with updated models in 2017, however, Kuo predicts shipments will continue to decline as part of general trends in the tablet market.

Article Link: Apple Planning 10.5" iPad Pro in 2017, 'Revolutionary' OLED iPad as Soon as 2018

2. timshundo macrumors regular

3. Mark-Technology macrumors member

Why not just make 1 stretchy iPad size made of some rare earth element and call it a day.

Also, are iPads even in demand anymore? I haven't touched the one I bought in 2010 in a good 3 years because it's just not that useful when you have an iPhone and a Mac.

4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

5. oldmacs macrumors 68040

6. 1applerules1 macrumors regular

7. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Did you even read the article?

The iPad mini probably will go, as most people will be contempt between the largest iPhone and the smallest and cheapest iPad.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2016 ---
    Used mine all day, what now?

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Its a crazy idea though. The iPad Mini is still a popular iPad. Perhaps if it was frequently updated and was priced better it would sell better.

Kuo makes no reference to it perhaps because it won't get an update for a while.

9. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

iGeek2014

Four iPad sizes? Can't see that happening. I agree (should Apple do so) with the fact the iPad Mini will be the model that faces the chop.

It is about time the Mac desktop/laptop saw some loving though.

10. Jsameds macrumors 68020

And.............................?

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

And yet they cannot make a 17" rMBP.

The iPad pro is a fine concept, that is severely overpriced for what it is.....an iPad Air 3
    we need at least 6 sizes...... and more variations of gold...

12. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

It is as frequently updated as the bigger ones.

It's "popular", because it's cheap.

13. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Do not see a point in a 10" pro if maintaining a 12".

The mini is much different to an iPhone and are wonderful devices. A lot of of my companies clients are elderly and they have a mini as it is light and portable.

Will be a shame to scrap it.

14. oldmacs macrumors 68040

No its not (I refuse to call the Mini 3 anything more than a minor refresh), and when it is updated it gets last Gen internals. The Mini 1 got A5, missing the A5X and A6, the Mini 3 was an absolute joke of an update, and the Mini 4 isn't even on par with the 2014 Air 2.

It is also popular for its form factor. The iPhone + is no where near as big. I don't even think the Mini is particularly cheap, the Mini 4 (in Australia) is more expensive than the base 9.7 inch iPad used to be.

15. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

That was quick. Bought an iPad Pro 9.7 Thursday and already rumors of the next one.

16. Relentless Power, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors 604

Relentless Power

Apple is definitely investing in the 'Pro' moniker in the iPad. This must be their way of ultimately wanting the customer to transfer from PC's/Laptops to the different models of the iPad, which offer a size/variation for everyone that Is interested.

17. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

My 128Gb iPad Mini 4 wasn't exactly cheap at £479. It is short on storage though! And still too heavy. And still too thick. And still too slow. But works great with my Logitech BT keyboard and Bamboo Fineline, so Apple can shove their Pencil via the sharp end where it fits best!

18. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

I just want a bezel-free sandproof 5" iPhone 8 that unfolds into an iPad Mini Pro 2 and Apple Magic Pencil and charges using WiFi or 5G so it doesn't need a battery or Lightning port. Also remove the mute switch and give it a Digital Crown instead.

/s

19. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

So they'll phase out the 7.9" model because the 5.5" model is "close enough," but they'll add a 10.5" model because both 9.7" and 12.9" models aren't enough? Umm...what?

20. goobot macrumors 601

goobot

There are rumors of the iPhone 8 while the 7 hasn't been released yet.

21. satyrica macrumors member

satyrica

Almost as stupid as having 4 or more car types, or differing sizes/configurations of anything. Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave. Idiots at Apple don't know anything. /s
    I'm pretty sure they do market analysis and surveys, or wait, do they just make up sizes on the way into work?...

22. Di4mondz macrumors regular

23. satyrica macrumors member

satyrica

FYI there is also a "Pro" "laptop" made at Apple, in different sizes. This must be their way of ultimately wanting the customer to transfer from iPads to the different models of the "laptop".

24. smulji macrumors 6502a

The future of the iPad lies with the iPad Pro. Non-pro iPads (and tablets in general) are getting cannibalized by large-screen smartphones.

25. smulji macrumors 6502a

Fret not. The 9.7" iPad Pro is a great product and will last you the next couple of years.