Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has a new report out this morning, claiming that Apple is working on future iPhone models that will incorporate "touchless gesture control" as well as curved screens. The company is said to be looking at how it can differentiate its flagship product in a smartphone market that's becoming increasingly saturated with devices.

According to people with knowledge of Apple's plans, the touchless control feature is described as a hover-like gesture system that would let future iPhone owners navigate iOS "by moving their finger close to the screen without actually tapping it." This technology would be advanced enough to take into account the proximity of a finger to the screen and is predicted to still be around two years away, if Apple chooses to move forward with it.

iphone-x-quad.jpg

Gurman also compared Apple's gesture design to Samsung's Air Gestures in Android smartphones and Google's Project Soli. In comparison, Apple's future iPhone "would require gestures to be closer to the screen than with Project Soli," and be based on technology built in the display rather than some kind of motion sensor added to the iPhone's bezel, as it is with Air Gestures.

Secondly, Apple is in the works on an iPhone display that curves inward "gradually from top to bottom," unlike Samsung's smartphones that curve down and away at the edges of the screen. Gurman's sources said that this major iPhone upgrade is around two to three years away. The company has been connected to curved display rumors in the past, and in October 2017 was said to be working with LG Display on an iPhone with a foldable display.

The new report also quickly corroborates many of the current rumors for the 2018 iPhone lineup:
While the Apple projects aren't imminent, the company has near-term plans to expand OLED technology to more devices, according to other people familiar with the matter. It will release a second iPhone with that type of screen later this year; a larger model with a 6.5-inch screen, up from the 5.8-inch size in the current iPhone X. The company is also working on an update to the iPhone X's size and a new, lower-cost LCD model.
Earlier in February, another one of Gurman's reports focused on the launch of iOS 12 later this year, which is believed to feature Animoji in FaceTime, deeper Siri integration, and an overall focus on quality rather than the introduction of many new features.

Article Link: Apple Planning iPhones With Touchless Gesture Controls and Curved Screens to Launch Within Three Years

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
The company is said to be looking at how it can differentiate its flagship product in a smartphone market that's becoming increasingly saturated with devices.
predicted to still be around two years away
Sorry, I’m sure I won’t be the only one to mention this, but Samsung has already done this.

It may just be the wording in the article, but this honestly seems like a late April Fools post.

Apple is in the works on an iPhone display that curves inward "gradually from top to bottom," unlike Samsung's smartphones that curve down and away at the edges of the screen.

Reactions: DEXTERITY

Lamborrari

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Chicago
Wasn’t there a report a couple weeks ago by a Bank of America analyst that Apple would have a folding display iPhone in 2020? Two years away?

These financial analysts really have absolutely no idea what to predict in Apple’s future. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. If it ain’t a Ming-Chi Kuo or maybe a MacOtakara rumor, it ain’t a rumor. It’s pure speculation.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sorry, I’m sure I won’t be the only one to mention this, but Samsung has already done this.

It may just be the wording in the article, but this honestly seems like a late April Fools post.
Samsung also had a finger print reader before Apple and look how that turned out. Not to mention the differences between Apple Face ID and the competitors.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Kinda like they did facial recognition /s

The most confusing thing to me is the upward curve. There aren’t enough details to give me an idea of how this would work, or why it’s being implemented.
Well I think it would work similarly to how the side curves work with Samsung phones, but it’s strange that they would go for that rather than working to get a curved display on all sides. You would imagine it would be implemented (aside from appearance) to make the swiping up gestures more natural, but supposedly the gestures don’t require physical contact with the screen. Theres obviously the appearance advantage, especially when scrolling which I think will be a big talking point about it.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
My current phone, an HTC 10, responds to NOT being touched already - and that can cause unwanted entries when texting, entering a phone number or anything else that requires input. It can also cause a spam / scam phone call to be answered when it should NOT be answered.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
But... why...?
My first thought is VR/AR. I seem to remember a recent article elsewhere on a version of Occulus (maybe) which had concave lens/the display itself actually distorting the rendered image so it was more concave and the combination of the two creating a more natural image for the eye, reducing strain and fatigue, as some things were naturally foreground and some naturally background.

Whether there is any veracity to this idea, I don't know. Just spitballing.

deg0ey

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
I don’t think you understand my point. I have no doubt that Apple will implement a hover touch system better than Samsung and others that have done it in the past.

I'm really struggling to see the utility, though. They're already saying it would be part of the display rather than some sort of 'at a distance' motion sensor. If I've already got my finger close enough to the screen to do the hover touch thing, why not just move the extra half inch and actually touch the thing?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time Apple has innovated in a way that worked way better than it sounded in my head, but is anyone able to enlighten me as to what the actual point is with this one?

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I dont see the point in gestures on phones. Samsung had something like this couple of years ago, it worked well, yet nobody used it. I mean you're holding the damn thing in your hand already, why would you even want to wave around with your other hand, when you can do the same, and even faster, with just your thumb?

Unless they plan on making some sort of "Living room gesture mode", where you would have your iphone on a table and you could just wave around and change your channels, volume, apps on TV... but then again, tech like this has been in existence for quite a while now (Xbox kinetic or something like that) and people werent really rushing into stores for it.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Curved inward so it won't land on a full face?

I can't think of much other reason to curve inward, except Apple wants to be punk while the others are clunk. I love the look of the curved displays going around edges, but using them and dropping them makes those phones best on a display rather than in hands or out in the world.

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.