Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
There are some occasions where I don't wanna touch my phone but want to control it.

I can think of such occasions as well, but I'm not completely sure if I want to solve those situations by having a feature which makes the phone more prone to accidental input.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
IMO, they took an existing idea and tweaked it slightly and personally I’m not a fan of it. Hope Apple doesn’t follow. A curved screen is one thing, wrapper glass around the edge, quite another.
The concept of curved edge smartphones was invented by Samsung. The curved edges are a signature look for the Galaxy lineup just like how the notch is for the iPhone. Samsung used to copy Apple but that ended in 2012 which is when Apple started using the iPhone brand to sell itself. The iPhone X should have come out in 2016 just like how this curved edge iPhone should be released in 2018. Apple is still playing catch up with the competition.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The concept of curved edge smartphones was invented by Samsung. The curved edges are a signature look for the Galaxy lineup just like how the notch is for the iPhone. Samsung used to copy Apple but that ended in 2012 which is when Apple started using the iPhone brand to sell itself. The iPhone X should have come out in 2016 just like how this curved edge iPhone should be released in 2018. Apple is still playing catch up with the competition.
Playing catch-up? Is that why Apple trounces the competition in benchmarks? Or why Samsung is scrambling with its version of Face ID? Or why Samsung started copying sharp with bezeless phones, water proofing, finger print readers and a host of other items? One can keep their curved edges and foldable phones and oled. It’s not Apple that’s catching up. At least the notch serves a purpose. As far as gestures, I’m sure the concept has been around for many years.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
That comment goes both ways as when Apple copied someone else Apple fans defend it to the hilt at the point of claiming Apple invented it.

Yes, but it happens way more with Samsung. Apple's not perfect, but their technology in any new features is the best possible technology available at that time.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Sure the ideas are the same, but the execution will be really different. Facial recognition on the Samsung devices is nowhere near what the iPhone X has so troll away. The technology IS different. The same was said (maybe by the same trolls on this site) when Apple came out with the iPhone... "Oh a smartphone with touch screen? Yeah that's been done before." or when the iPad was introduced, "A touch screen tablet? Please, Company X, Y and Z all had those 3 years ago." etc. etc. Apple seems to watch and then incorporate it into their devices more effectively than the others.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Tipped the touchless gestures :D

If I were to predict the next UI evolution, I'd say wave gestures (ie. non-contact finger/hand signals) could be next.

The new Volkswagens have a basic version of this, where you can swipe left/right through menus via the use of waving in either direction.

This could also make its way to phones (possibly moreso for tablets), for eg. The True Depth Camera could evolve to detect finger/hand motions, say a circular motion to refesh a web page or the bringing together of all finger tips to return to the home screen etc..

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
If someone build something, and no one buys it, it's functionally like they never did it. So why would I care? Because it's never been done before. LG and Moto have no place in the market. It doesn't matter if they did it first it never got adopted so no one used it. And Android fragmentation is a major flaw of the platform. I didn't make that up; there are plenty of people who have talked about that issue. Unless it's core in the OS and multiple vendors implement it that it's just product fragmentation.

Really, really a ridiculous fanboi comment.

Inventing something is not based on how many you sell. You are absolutely making that up. LG sells the phones, you don’t get to determine a certain number has to be sold before being credited with inventing it.

You saying someone doesn’t belong in the market is laughable.

So in other words since lg’s share is about the same as apple’s home computer share apple doesn’t belong in the market? Othing thry do counts?

The same with wireless earbuds? They don’t belong?

Homepod is about 3%. They don’t belong?

Desktop computers, very tiny percent.

I think your comments are some of the most ridiculous I have read. Its never about market share.

If chevy knocks off something from ferrari that means chevy invented it as they sell more? In that case its fine for android and windows to knock off apple and say they invented it.

http://www.telecomlead.com/telecom-statistics/top-5-global-smartphone-makers-q1-2017-76482

Lg sold 14.8 million smartphones to apple’s 50 million and samsung’s 80 in q1 2018. Ios has a less than 15% market share. Lg has at least as good market share as most of apple’s, stuff. Better than some. What you are spouting makes no sense. 14.8 million in a quarter means they shouldn’t be in the business?

Apple in q1 2017 had 6.8% of the computer market with 4.2 million macs. Put......the.....koolaid.....down. Its not about market share.

Attachments

• 487F11D7-56EB-4F95-9E34-0EEBB8D05617.jpeg
    487F11D7-56EB-4F95-9E34-0EEBB8D05617.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Really, really a ridiculous fanboi comment.

Inventing something is not based on how many you sell. You are absolutely making that up. LG sells the phones, you don’t get to determine a certain number has to be sold before being credited with inventing it.

You saying someone doesn’t belong in the market is laughable.

So in other words since lg’s share is about the same as apple’s home computer share apple doesn’t belong in the market? Othing thry do counts?

The same with wireless earbuds? They don’t belong?

Homepod is about 3%. They don’t belong?

Desktop computers, very tiny percent.

I think your comments are some of the most ridiculous I have read. Its never about market share.

If chevy knocks off something from ferrari that means chevy invented it as they sell more? In that case its fine for android and windows to knock off apple and say they invented it.

http://www.telecomlead.com/telecom-statistics/top-5-global-smartphone-makers-q1-2017-76482

Lg sold 14.8 million smartphones to apple’s 50 million and samsung’s 80 in q1 2018. Ios has a less than 15% market share. Lg has at least as good market share as most of apple’s, stuff. Better than some. What you are spouting makes no sense. 14.8 million in a quarter means they shouldn’t be in the business?

Apple in q1 2017 had 6.8% of the computer market with 4.2 million macs. Put......the.....koolaid.....down. Its not about market share.

I didn’t say they don’t sell enough. I said they they have no place in the market. They have a history of bad products that border on intentionally defective. Batteries that don’t fit. Chargers that break under normal operation. Software that bricks seemingly at random.

Oh and good job making iOS look so small by even suggesting that android is a single ecosystem. It’s not. But yeah, it’s not about market share, unless it proves your point.

In the future, try and avoid the name calling.

sjn419

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
gestures sound awesome especially if not limited to just their iPhones. sitting with my MacBook now Im imagining have my hands on the side of my keyboard and gesturing at the screen to activate functions like volume, brightness, dismissing notifications, scrolling, showing previous webpages, opening up mission control, directing with my finger where I want the mouse to go maybe double tapping the air with my finger to select something. I can imagine get a text notification, gesturing to open the text then maybe even writing out my message in the air if its a short response. If eye tracking is also implemented I can see devices knowing Im looking at a specific word on the webpage and allowing me execute commands specific to that word. The thing is all the gesture actions Im imagining seem intuitive and natural. the possible applications seem very useful but Im super lazy so I might be biased.

Last edited:

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I didn’t say they don’t sell enough. I said they they have no place in the market. They have a history of bad products that border on intentionally defective. Batteries that don’t fit. Chargers that break under normal operation. Software that bricks seemingly at random.

Oh and good job making iOS look so small by even suggesting that android is a single ecosystem. It’s not. But yeah, it’s not about market share, unless it proves your point.

In the future, try and avoid the name calling.

Pointless. Adios.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I said good screen protectors. They either only cover just the screen, leaving a gap of unprotected curved glass, or they're "full coverage" and aren't compatible with most cases.

Problems you don't have with iPads and iPhone SEs.

No, I have curved glass screen protectors I bought off EBAY & they cover the sides. Go have another look.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Lol guys 80% of these guys make baseless claims and they arent true. Tim Cook is actually very smart and was behind Apple's global supply success under Jobs.
Yeah true, I don't think he is not smart, but I think he is not a good leader for the company. He lacks vision and Apple product line is suffering a lot under his lead. He is a numbers guy.

Reactions: cashville2400

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
No, I have curved glass screen protectors I bought off EBAY & they cover the sides. Go have another look.

And they're crap. Plus, those type of screen protectors aren't compatible with 95% of cases that offer any sort of drop protection and screen lip.

I also would never buy a generic screen protector... this is Apple land, not the land of no third party support (aka, Android). By generic, I mean I do my research. I don't buy Zagg or Belkin (unless I'm getting a replacement phone and don't have another screen protector ready to go back home) because they're over priced, but I also don't buy iGoScreenFunPowPow or CheezWaffieScreenSuperSaver etc.

Generally speaking, a rule of thumb would be if Mobile Reviews, Eh doesn't review it and like it, I won't buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.