Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't think you understand. Apple doesn't push the hardware on the iPhone hard enough. This is a fact. If they did it would thermal throttle. So, lack of thermal issues is evidence that there is unused power in their hardware. And since I didn't limit my comment to just iPhones I promise you that iMacs and Macbook Pro's do thermal throttle. My iMac's fan runs full speed most of the day and it's temps are dangerously high. The only reason the hardware has any issues is because they build a computer into a shell that is to small and didn't give it a big enough heatsink or enough fans to move the air at low RPMs. My MacBook Pro gets so warm it can't be used on a lap. Fact: thermals are a throttling issue on all devices. Apple resolves the issue in the iPhone by not letting it run fast enough to get hot enough to throttle while in other devices is so married to the form factor that they accept uncomfortable noise and temperatures instead of changing their form factors. Again, these are all facts. It's a primary concern and well worth our time.

Ok, seeing as your so insistent it’s all ‘facts’ prove it! Prove to me beyond any doubt using proper evidence, not opinion, that Apple do not push their iPhone hardware or any apps do not push the iPhones hardware.

And then if you can prove all that, you can then try to explain what’s the point as it will mean Apple do not need to push their hardware as they are fast enough to beat the competition without thinking of thermals etc.
[doublepost=1522931511][/doublepost]
Exactly. One of the hardest comments to read in this forum is when Samsung loyalist respond with the false notion that Samsung "did it first". What they fail to always realize is that Samsung was the first to put into market a half-baked APPLE idea in an attempt to get an edge on sales. But those "new" features rarely work as promised.

That comment goes both ways as when Apple copied someone else Apple fans defend it to the hilt at the point of claiming Apple invented it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Thermals and performance isn't a thing you put into a device, it's something that comes out of it. The harder you push the processors the more calculations you can do, the bigger the battery the longer it runs, and the more power it uses the more heat it generates. The iPhone doesn't get hot enough to suggest they are pushing the chips to the edge. They throttle their own stuff to make it fit in their form factor. I agree it's faster than the S9, but it could be even more so if they put aesthetics aside.

But they won't, because power isn't their top concern.

Hahaha one of the most ironic posts I’ve read, so according to You hardware is only being pushed when it’s burning your hands, and is NOT an example of good design and thermal design being built into the device..

Classic.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Not sure about iPhones but I could see hover gestures being helpful on iPads when they’re on stands. The iPad won’t wobble and you won’t have to reach quite as far.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ssoooo Apple the hypocrite wants to totally rip off Samsung apparently, and introduce pointless gesture control for a phone...

Sad if true.. and I see the Samsung curved screen as one of the most pointless inventions for years, videos just look crap on it! If they stayed on the flat screen fine, but nnooo they have to curve the video round on the screen and make it look utterly stupid!

I for one hope Apple sticks to flat screens!
If Apple has been ripping off features than What’s ironic is Samsung has been ripping off features as much as Apple. Except apple’s implementation is always well thought out.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The bar. The notch.
Those guys are selectively blind to the notch. That’s very kind of them.

No, I confessed to being able to see that mess, but pointed out that the person who wrote the app ****ed up and didn't code it right. You are supposed to make constraints against the safe border, not against the screen edge. Developer 101.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Samsung did what? Looked for ways to differentiate its flagship product? Or are you referring to the line *you* quoted that says the curve would bring the top and bottom of the display closer to your fingers? Samsung does not have a flagship device that does that.
[doublepost=1522867775][/doublepost]

So... don’t watch it zoomed in?
No I’m referring to the beginning of the article, in response to the quote. No need to get so defensive over the direction of a curve.

benlukes

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2014
What if the phones themselves wouldn't have a screen that big, but a concave glass that would expand the display to look as big as the phone while there is a small micro LED display powering it up beneath. At that point, these touch less gestures would be needed because even when you do touch the screen, it wouldn't mean touch-screen the way it means today.

Think about it. Too futuristic... I know. I've always fantasized the phone to be a simple glass brick that is almost see through. I know that's impossible. But given how expensive MicroLED they claim to be, may be this way they could get it to work on phones with a smaller footprint of the actual display panel and use curved glass display to create an illusion of a full screen display.

An early in the day Tech Fiction :D

It should be easy to put a touch "screen" into a clear piece of glass (no actual screen required). There is no reason to get rid of touch gestures to get the effect you want.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
That will be broke in a 'snap' if it ever tries and goes in jean pockets.

If it’s in the back jean pocket, it’s in the curvature of a butt so it shouldn’t snap. If it needs to flex, there’s a reason why it was named the LG Flex. It’s able to flex flat without breaking.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
No I’m referring to the beginning of the article, in response to the quote. No need to get so defensive over the direction of a curve.

Not defensive. Just confused. You quoted a line and claimed Samsung had done something they never had. Just was asking you to clarify.
[doublepost=1522960700][/doublepost]
Hahaha one of the most ironic posts I’ve read, so according to You hardware is only being pushed when it’s burning your hands, and is NOT an example of good design and thermal design being built into the device..

Classic.

No... I am saying the fact that it isn't hot suggests that they could push it more. It's called overclocking, and the PC world has been doing it for decades.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No, I confessed to being able to see that mess, but pointed out that the person who wrote the app ****ed up and didn't code it right. You are supposed to make constraints against the safe border, not against the screen edge. Developer 101.
Which, was not a thing in the past decade but now is a thing. What a nice problem of our own design.
The notch needs to go eventually to bring screen estate back.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Not defensive. Just confused. You quoted a line and claimed Samsung had done something they never had. Just was asking you to clarify.

Ok. Technically they may be ripping of lg instead of samsung. Does it really matter?

Samsung was the first to do curved screens nonetheless. Being picky about the direction of the curve is like being picky on the location of the short sides on a rectangle.

This is funny. People here were laughing their backsides off at android phone’s gestures. Now it will be the best thing that ever happened.

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Ok, seeing as your so insistent it’s all ‘facts’ prove it! Prove to me beyond any doubt using proper evidence, not opinion, that Apple do not push their iPhone hardware or any apps do not push the iPhones hardware.

Sure... fine you win. Apple's chips are so poor they can't run hotter and get more performance. You can't prove this because no one can overclock a chip. The speed on it's box is what they can do. :rolleyes: Don't google overclocking. It will blow your mind.

And then if you can prove all that, you can then try to explain what’s the point as it will mean Apple do not need to push their hardware as they are fast enough to beat the competition without thinking of thermals etc.

My point is that they could get more performance if they were not so focused how it looks.

Ok. They are ripping of lg instead of samsung. Does it really matter?

Yeah - actually. Since LG isn't much of a threat to Apple. No one should care if LG did it first because they have struggled to do much right in the mobile landscape.

This is funny. People here were laughing their backsides off at android phone’s gestures. Now it will be the best thing that ever happened.

Are you talking about touch free gestures? I don't think Android has that. Samsung added it to some of their phones, but it wasn't a standard across android phones, and that means that developing for that feature only acted to divide and segment out their potential customers. Adding it to an entire platform could be good or it could make no difference. I don't think Apple will add it, based on the view that the only valid use case I ever saw was controlling music when doing necropsy, but maybe there is more uses.

Last edited:

Packer2058

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Because Tim Cook is an incompetent idiot, that's why.

Lol guys 80% of these guys make baseless claims and they arent true. Tim Cook is actually very smart and was behind Apple's global supply success under Jobs.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Yeah - actually. Since LG isn't much of a threat to Apple. No one should care if LG did it first because they have struggled to do much right in the mobile landscape.

Who are you to dictate who cares? LG did it first, period. Obviously you feel more threatened over this than apple does.

Are you talking about touch free gestures? I don't think Android has that. Samsung added it to some of their phones, but it wasn't a standard across android phones, and that means that developing for that feature only acted to divide and segment out their potential customers. Adding it to an entire platform could be good or it could make no difference. I don't think Apple will add it, based on the view that the only valid use case I ever saw was controlling music when doing necropsy, but maybe there is more uses.

Motorola and who cares if it’s platform wide? It’s not just one company that does android.

Making up rules to make yourself feel good. Priceless.

Did cook make you dictator over rules for what’s relevant? Obviously you made them to make you feel better, nothing to do with reality.

All your rationalizations do not mean lg and motorola did not do it girst. Period. Who fricken cares? You obviously.

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Who are you to dictate who cares? LG did it first, period. Obviously you feel more threatened over this than apple does.

Motorola and who cares if it’s platform wide? It’s not just one company that does android.

Making up rules to make yourself feel good. Priceless.

Did cook make you dictator over rules for what’s relevant? Obviously you made them to make you feel better, nothing to do with reality.

All your rationalizations do not mean lg and motorola did not do it girst. Period. Who fricken cares? You obviously.

If someone build something, and no one buys it, it's functionally like they never did it. So why would I care? Because it's never been done before. LG and Moto have no place in the market. It doesn't matter if they did it first it never got adopted so no one used it. And Android fragmentation is a major flaw of the platform. I didn't make that up; there are plenty of people who have talked about that issue. Unless it's core in the OS and multiple vendors implement it that it's just product fragmentation.

Last edited:

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
TLDR all the comments, but did anyone mention Force Look™ yet?
Like 3D touch, but really look sternly at something and it'll... do... something *boom*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.