Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
"...other than looks." Really? That's not a strong argument in an Apple forum. Apple cares about looks. They care about looks more than thermals and performance. You just provided the most compelling reason to think Apple might do this.

Thermals and performance? What are you in about? What thermals should Apple be using in a phone then, considering it’s faster then the S9.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007

I said Cupertino. The vast majority of leaks in the Jobs era were from Chinese factories, which is why most of those leaks were device leaks, not three-years-down-the-road future tech Apple is thinking about, and upcoming software features.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I said Cupertino. The vast majority of leaks in the Jobs era were from Chinese factories, which is why most of those leaks were device leaks, not three-years-down-the-road future tech Apple is thinking about, and upcoming software features.
That's right but most like to point out how things were different in Jobs era and how everything was always kept as a secret which is a lie.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Just upgraded to the iPhone X and my 6s is still in good condition. Probably not gonna upgrade again until there is something more significant like 5G.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Makes sense. Face ID is practically a miniaturised Kinect in your phone. It already has the potential to track your gestures and facial movements. Controlling your phone via hand movements is the next logical step.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a next logical step.

Just as I see no value in a touchscreen laptop or all-in-one desktop yet due to the clumsy ergonomics of reaching awkwardly at times, and just as I find the force-touch feedback trackpad and buttonless iPhone home button to be a far inferior experience to my 2014 MBA's hinged trackpad and iPhone 5S physical home button, I find myself doubting there being any significant improvement from gesture control of a phone over touch. I foresee frequent latency issues and error responses compared to the more-definite physical feedback and virtually instantaneous response of touch control. To this day I prefer a corded mouse over any wireless mouse I"ve tried for photoshop-type work.

As an exercise, extend Apple's approach to the extreme, which could very well be a target: What would be better, touch feedback from your significant other or touch less gesture control? If touching/interacting with something is so bad, and physical metaphors are unnecessary, let's just jump to permanently-sutured VR goggles to our faces and then we won't even need touchless and headjack-less iPhones, touch ID, or hinged trackpads.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Unfortunately that doesn't fit with today's Apple's focus on design contests instead of bigger-picture user functionality.

Last edited:

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
LG Flex?

caa9724ed30801fc35e6179359dc881b.jpg

Reactions: kdarling

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Makes sense. Face ID is practically a miniaturised Kinect in your phone. It already has the potential to track your gestures and facial movements. Controlling your phone via hand movements is the next logical step.

Waving your hand around takes more effort than to just hold the phone and touch the screen with one hand. Waving your hands while holding it with the other is just counter intuitive unless it’s laying on something.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Hey guys, don't get too excited.

The gesture controls probably only work for animojis.

Also, curved screen is probably to improve view of emoticons, and you need a dongle for other apps to work. And it will cost 2k.

God bless Tim Cook and his financial success with Apple!

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Thermals and performance? What are you in about? What thermals should Apple be using in a phone then, considering it’s faster then the S9.

Thermals and performance isn't a thing you put into a device, it's something that comes out of it. The harder you push the processors the more calculations you can do, the bigger the battery the longer it runs, and the more power it uses the more heat it generates. The iPhone doesn't get hot enough to suggest they are pushing the chips to the edge. They throttle their own stuff to make it fit in their form factor. I agree it's faster than the S9, but it could be even more so if they put aesthetics aside.

But they won't, because power isn't their top concern.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"According to people with knowledge of Apple's plans, the touchless control feature is described as a hover-like gesture system that would let future iPhone owners navigate iOS "by moving their finger close to the screen without actually tapping it."

So, its some sort of "Air-phone"

I dunno about this.... Fancy stuff Apple does. and markets it as revolution, or new, then everyone must do it.

I place this in the same park as "how often does one have greasy fingers"

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

It might be the logical next step of the hardware - and if Apple needed to push it to stay afloat- yeah we might see that. The thing is, they don't need to add the feature to stay in business, so it's totally reasonable for them to play with the idea and than never launch it. I agree that the FaceID is amazing, and would like one one my desktop too, but I would be really skeptical that apple would use a curve aggressive enough to allow touchless mapping of the entire field above the screen.

If they do it I see the curve being more subtle, maybe 10000R, and just enough to give it a premium feel without catching glare.
[doublepost=1522894689][/doublepost]
That will be broke in a 'snap' if it ever tries and goes in jean pockets.

Agreed. To me, for this to work the back of the device needs to remain flat. They could taper it in on the front but leave the back flat. Kind of like a reverse iMac.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Apple should be a “hypocrite” and rip off what it wants. Samsung sure has “ripped off” enough from Apple over the years.:rolleyes:

Almost every new headline feature on the iPhone X has been there on Galaxy for years now.

Curved edge displays is a total ripoff of Samsung's Edge series.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Thermals and performance isn't a thing you put into a device, it's something that comes out of it. The harder you push the processors the more calculations you can do, the bigger the battery the longer it runs, and the more power it uses the more heat it generates. The iPhone doesn't get hot enough to suggest they are pushing the chips to the edge. They throttle their own stuff to make it fit in their form factor. I agree it's faster than the S9, but it could be even more so if they put aesthetics aside.

But they won't, because power isn't their top concern.

Thermals have absolutely nothing to do with the throttling issue on the iPhone, that is a fact, so I wouldn’t waste time thinking it is, and it is something they build into every iPhone to a degree.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Thermals have absolutely nothing to do with the throttling issue on the iPhone, that is a fact, so I wouldn’t waste time thinking it is, and it is something they build into every iPhone to a degree.

I don't think you understand. Apple doesn't push the hardware on the iPhone hard enough. This is a fact. If they did it would thermal throttle. So, lack of thermal issues is evidence that there is unused power in their hardware. And since I didn't limit my comment to just iPhones I promise you that iMacs and Macbook Pro's do thermal throttle. My iMac's fan runs full speed most of the day and it's temps are dangerously high. The only reason the hardware has any issues is because they build a computer into a shell that is to small and didn't give it a big enough heatsink or enough fans to move the air at low RPMs. My MacBook Pro gets so warm it can't be used on a lap. Fact: thermals are a throttling issue on all devices. Apple resolves the issue in the iPhone by not letting it run fast enough to get hot enough to throttle while in other devices is so married to the form factor that they accept uncomfortable noise and temperatures instead of changing their form factors. Again, these are all facts. It's a primary concern and well worth our time.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Samsung also had a finger print reader before Apple and look how that turned out. Not to mention the differences between Apple Face ID and the competitors.

Exactly. One of the hardest comments to read in this forum is when Samsung loyalist respond with the false notion that Samsung "did it first". What they fail to always realize is that Samsung was the first to put into market a half-baked APPLE idea in an attempt to get an edge on sales. But those "new" features rarely work as promised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.