Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Daily News of Palo Alto, California reports that Apple has filed planning documents there for a new retail store that the company is calling "a new prototype for the company." While Apple's name has not been officially associated with the project in public filings and discussion, numerous sources have indicated that the company is the tenant involved in the project.

Planning documents indicate that the new store, which will be located less than two blocks from the company's existing Palo Alto retail store, will be about 10,700 square feet, over 50% larger than the current location. The new store's facade is planned to be completely transparent at street level, with large skylights allowing trees to grow inside the store, thus minimizing the transition from outside to inside and drawing customers in."The proposed store is a new prototype for the applicant," the developers wrote in a memo to the city. "Fully half the function of the store serves to provide education and service to business as well as customer patrons in addition to product sales. The store is a commons for the applicant's community to gather."

The memo adds that the transparent glass front "dissolves the boundary that traditional store facades create. By not breaking the horizontal ground plane of the sidewalk with opaque wall or landscape element, for example, the street is made part of the store's interior; the pedestrian is in the store before entering it."At the opening of its new Upper West Side store in Manhattan late last year, Apple Senior Vice President of Retail Ron Johnson indicated that the company was shifting its plans to include larger and more iconic stores, noting that many of their existing stores are too small to function properly with the traffic they receive.

Article Link: Apple Planning New Prototype Retail Store in Palo Alto

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
This is the best way to counter the copy-cat MS store..

Loving the idea of trees! OMG I want benches too :D

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I hope the employees will be doing synchronized dancing!

Wait, no I don't...

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Ferrari has been doing this for years, Glad to see Apple taking it 1 step further

FERRARIS HEADQUARTERS ALREADY HAS THIS TYPE OF IN-HOUSE ENVIRONMENT. GLAD TO SEE APPLE IS TAKING IT ONESTEP FURTHER.

BTW FERRARIS HEADQUARTERS ENVIORNMENT HAS BETTER OXYGEN INSIDE THEN IT DOES OUTSIDE.

AND SINCE APPLE IS IN CALIFORNIA, ACHIVING BETTER AIR QUALITY INSIDE SHOULD BE A BREEZE (pun intended) :D

iDisk

:apple:

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
What I find interesting in this, is that they are try to break the mold of what a store looks and feels like. Rather than making another box in a parking lot they are trying to create landmarks. How often do you go to a retail store and love the design and architecture. I can only hope other business's follow. Maybe we could eventually move away from the boxes in parking lots.

VinitaBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2007
Don't You Just . . .

. . . love the "negatives" number?! Even when the content of an article on this site is undeniably positive, there will always be a handful of "negatives" showing in the positive/negative total.

Just goes to show you that MicroTrolls have little more purpose in life than to slam their betters, Apple Inc in particular.

Pathetic and sad. (Get a life, BSOD people!)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
FERRARIS HEADQUARTERS ALREADY HAS THIS TYPE OF IN-HOUSE ENVIRONMENT. GLAD TO SEE APPLE IS TAKING IT ONESTEP FURTHER.

BTW FERRARIS HEADQUARTERS ENVIORNMENT HAS BETTER OXYGEN INSIDE THEN IT DOES OUTSIDE.

AND SINCE APPLE IS IN CALIFORNIA, ACHIVING BETTER AIR QUALITY INSIDE SHOULD BE A BREEZE (pun intended) :D

iDisk

:apple:

palo alto has lovely outdoor air quality.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
. . . love the "negatives" number?! Even when the content of an article on this site is undeniably positive, there will always be a handful of "negatives" showing in the positive/negative total.

Just goes to show you that MicroTrolls have little more purpose in life than to slam their betters, Apple Inc in particular.

Might be someone allergic to trees..... which might mean - they no longer can shop at the apple store.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I hear Balmer has already ordered trees to be chopped down somewhere in the Brazilian rain forest. (Not understanding the idea behind roots).

(At ease astroturfers... 'tis but a harmless joke). ;)

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
Might be someone allergic to trees..... which might mean - they no longer can shop at the apple store.

maybe it's just a hunch, but my guess is that someone allergic to trees probably can't do much outside of a home or other controlled environment to begin with... that said, though, I think this is a novel approach to the "traditional" retail store and would be thrilled to visit a store like this if one were to open within reasonable driving distance of where I live (unfortunately, I can't see it happening to any of the 3 stores in OH).

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
It's interesting to see how much thought goes into the user experience in Apple's retail stores as compared to other electronics stores.

The "you're in the store before you're actually in the store" will be interesting to see how they pull off!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
depending on where they start building stores like this I can see a homeless person confused and try to live indoors.

This does seem nice. We have trees in some of our malls.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Maybe they might ditch genius appointments for when you're taking stuff back in for warranty repair. I like other stores where you walk in speak to someone get stuff exchanged. I don't want an appointment in a weeks time. If it's broke now I'd like service now at my convience.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

After I turned on my fanboy filter your post made sense. For those of you that don't have it; VinitaBoy is basically saying that personal opinions should match his own. He goes on to project his own personal emotional state and ends with a poorly-delivered, unoriginal Windows joke.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Indeed, this happens on every story. It's obvious there is a group of moles here seeding discontent wherever possible and jumping on the Negative button the instant a new story hits (in addition to adding their incessant "Apple sucks" commentary). It's always interesting to see how the negatives jump immediately - before the positives have a chance to catch up. Smell the astroturf? There could be a headline Apple Cures Cancer and there would still be a pack of negative votes.

Among the suspects: AidenShaw, AidenShaw's brother, AidenShaw's mom, AidenShaw's best friend, AidenShaw's handler at Microsoft...

(Not to mention the rest of pack - most of which I've forgotten as they're all on my ignore list. I leave AidenShaw for entertainment value. And it's smart to keep your eye on their leader.)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Looking forward to this, I live 15 minutes away from the Palo Alto Apple store. Yayy!!!:)

CalCanuck

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Silicon Valley
Looking forward to seeing it

Looking at the planning documents it looks like the new site will be replacing what used to be a Z-Gallery on University Ave which closed last year, it's in a very prominent location on University Ave. The existing building has a open two-story section at the front with stairs up to a second level at the back but it's my guess they will just gut the whole thing and start over.

Looking forward to seeing it and spending some time there.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Maybe they might ditch genius appointments for when you're taking stuff back in for warranty repair. I like other stores where you walk in speak to someone get stuff exchanged. I don't want an appointment in a weeks time. If it's broke now I'd like service now at my convience.

You can do that now. The problem is that they are so busy, that they can only squeeze you in between appointments.

I like the appointments. Guaranteed no wait, and it means the guy can spend as much time as it takes instead of just trying to rush me out of there. (Because they allocate enough time.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.