Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to seed iOS 8.4 Golden Master (GM), which has historically been release candidate software, to registered developers today ahead of the Apple Music launch on June 30, reports BGR. iOS 9 beta 2 is also reportedly scheduled for release today, although it is possible that the release date is pushed back by one week to next Monday, June 29.

ios8hero.jpg

The iOS 8.4 GM will succeed iOS 8.4 beta 4 and will most likely be the final pre-release version before the software update is publicly released. Apple Music for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch requires iOS 8.4, so the update should be released for all users within the next eight days, with the new streaming music service built into the revamped stock Music app.

Apple Music was announced earlier this month as an all-in-one streaming music service, live global radio station and social platform for artists to connect with fans. The subscription-based service will cost $9.99 per month after a three-month free trial for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and PC. Apple TV and Android versions of the service will be available in the fall.

Update: BGR's report proved inaccurate as Apple seeded iOS 9 beta 2 on Tuesday and has yet to release the iOS 8.4 GM.

Article Link: Apple Plans to Release iOS 8.4 GM and iOS 9 Beta 2 Later Today [Updated]

Reactions: dubstar82

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana
Sounds like they made something up as an educated guess as a rumor so they could say they reported it first. BGR is yahoo's biaotch now

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Sounds like they made something up as an educated guess as a rumor so they could say they reported it first. BGR is yahoo's biaotch now

They've been doing these beta guesses for years. If today weren't two weeks since beta 1, I'd refuse to believe it, because they're often wrong.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
They've been doing these beta guesses for years. If today weren't two weeks since beta 1, I'd refuse to believe it, because they're often wrong.
The two weeks thing probably won't matter. I can imagine the Apple engineers looking at this thread and laughing as they delay the release another week just to make fun of them. :p:apple:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Bring back the customizable bottom bar! Why hide albums, playlists, etc. behind a menu just so they can put Apple Music at the forefront. I have not interest in it so I should be forced to open to it. Just like iTunes Radio.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Thank god!! Hopefully they fix the battery life and heat issue!

Same, Battery and heat issues is what I've been getting. I really hope beta 2 solves it cause im loving iOS 9 so far, so smooth between app switcher/camera/all photos transitions.

I certainly hope they do prioritise ios 9 beta 2 over 8.4 beta....

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Can't wait for 8.4 GM to arrive. Has anyone run into too many kernel panics running the latest 8.4 beta on iPhone 5S? I've get at least 10 per day.. Like it doesn't like the way I swipe through things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.