Apple please keep your Assistant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chumburro2U, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

I don't want your Assistant Apple. Assistant to me would be like FaceTime, which I only used ONCE when I first received the phone and then NEVER USED AGAIN. Give me a bigger screen! Your iPods have big and small screens already. Give the iPhone the option of having a BIGGER screen and let us the consumer buy it or not. :rolleyes:

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Are you going to rewrite all of the apps to make it work with the bigger screen?

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I wouldn't tell them to keep it, but I'm with you I wouldn't use it as much though.

4. korndawg macrumors regular

I actually agree. Assistant seems like a complete gimmick to me. Sure it's cool, but I don't foresee myself using it once the 'cool' factor wears off (so after day 1).

5. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Nothing needs to be re-written if the pixel resolution stays the same, which it most likely would.

Tony

6. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

By the way: I doubt assistant works anywhere but in the US.

Those fancy open services the Siri demo showed all do not exist (in that shape, with that API, etc.) outside of the US and I really doubt speech recognition of German, French, some British accents, let alone Chinese is anywhere near what's been done for American English.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

IMO assistant is useless. FaceTime on the other hand .... I actually use it way more thAN I thought.

8. moargolems macrumors regular

This obsession about the bigger screen is getting out of hands.

Apple has NO reason to give you one.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Have you seen "A Town Called Eureka" where he talks to his house?

If Apple can develop something that interacts the same way how can it be bad.

"Meeting John this thrusday at 8pm and Send text to Steve: On my way......." calendar entry and text sent.

10. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

Would probably translate to "Seeing Bum this thirsty at 8pm and Send text to Steve: Homo yay....."

Voice control is years away to become reliable enough for day to day use.

11. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Is Assistant even going to work?

It seems like a really neat idea and I am excited to see it in action - but it's not like Apple is the first company to try this.

The Dragon people have been doing dictation software for almost 20 years and it STILL isn't right all the time.

I can just see me asking my iPhone to prepare a text message and the wrong text / wrong person appear.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'll take the Assistant and keep the current screen. This is not a tablet phone. It's a phone.

13. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I like FaceTime - and I would use it a lot more -- if the carriers would allow us to use it over their network.

The wifi requirement really kills its usefulness for me.

14. Chumburro2U thread starter macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

4"

I would be happy with a 4". I never thought that I would say that.

15. paulcdb macrumors regular

i hope it does turn out how the rumours suggest a it should make for some hilarious screenshots of text messages ;)

16. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I would not mind an assistant, even if I don't use it. However what I'd like is to have an option of hiding the assistant button on the keyboard, or at least have an ability to reposition it to the right, for left handed people.

[​IMG]

17. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Voice recognition / Voice control has been around since the 1990s. It's garbage tech that's pined after by Star Trek nerds who all dream of ordering computers to play music and run level 5 diagnostics on the warp drive.

If there was real consumer demand for it, we'd have ditched mice and keyboards years ago.

18. flight macrumors regular

It needs beta-testers to get there, right?

19. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

IKR! also they gotta make it more universal. Not everyone has apple stuff.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Oh for crying out loud, it's not that difficult. I dare say that any developer worth their weight in salt has written their app to be virtually screen size and resolution independent. Basically you're talking about adding 2-3 constants and doing some multiplication and division....

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What if it "learns" from you. e.g accents and pronunciations. I'll have total faith in Apple developing this into something really useful.

22. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Why wait until now to develop / release such a service?

Apple has been designing computers and operating systems for 30+ years now. Why isn't there an "assistant" for OS X?

It is a neat idea, and I look forward to seeing it work - but I have serious doubts that it will work anywhere near as well as Apple would like it to.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

So Apple could reveal a bunch of awesome stuff tomorrow and it won't matter to you unless the screen size is increased? I think then you should prepare yourself for disappointment.

I for one use FaceTime a lot. I travel for business and use it to see my children. Just because a feature isn't important to you, don't think it isn't to somebody else.

24. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I use skype instead of facetime. Much more universal.

25. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Yet its not nearly as good as FaceTime.