Apple Postpones Frankfurt Retail Store Opening at Last Minute

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Frankfurt Retail Store Under Wraps
Courtesy of Macerkopf.de

ifoAppleStore reports on news out of Germany [Google translation] that Apple has canceled the grand opening of its planned Frankfurt retail store just two days before the event. The reasons behind the delay are currently unknown beyond suppositions that some aspect of the store's construction was not able to be completed in time, and there has been no public announcement of a revised opening date, although reports suggest that it will not occur until January.
As first reported by the iFun.de Web site, the opening has been pushed back to some date in January 2010, most likely because the store wasn't finished to Apple’s rigorous standards. The street-level store was installed in an existing building, but it was heavily remodeled to include Apple's standard architecture. Early this morning the store's Web page was changed to say the store would open "soon." It only explained, "We're putting the finishing touches on the final touches."
Apple currently offers retail stores in Munich and Hamburg, with the now-delayed Frankfurt store planned to bring an official Apple presence to Germany's fifth-largest city at the heart of what is considered to be the country's second-largest metropolitan area. Apple has been including plans for rapid expansion of its international stores as part of a revised retail strategy, and recently opened its first two stores in France as part of the push.

Article Link: Apple Postpones Frankfurt Retail Store Opening at Last Minute

SeanSweeney

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2007
Toronto
Well that sucks, two days before the opening, guess the guys building this thing were slacking a bit to much, keep bringing more :apple: stores!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If these were British builders I might agree, but zis is ze Germanz!
I once thought is was the other way around.

Once driving through Scotland I came through a building site twice (morning and evening/night and was surprised the workers were still working in the dark. I've never seen that on any german motorways.

Why has Apple stores in Hamburg, München/Munich and Frankfurt, but not Berlin or even Köln/Cologne?

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
I'm getting one in my home town in spring of 2010. :) It won't look as nice as this one though. :(

SpeedFleX

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Interwebz
Germans aren't very fast workers. I am living in Germany at the moment and we had works across the street every time I looked over there they were taking their pause (Break).

This also seems to be everytime I drive past a Baustelle (Construction) on the Autobahn, again always taking a break.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Don't fear the East Apple! Bring one of these stores to every major City in Germany. Berlin is Capital so bring us an Apple Store there and "the fuhrer will (not) be pissed" as someone mentioned :rolleyes: Munich Berlin Hamburg would be nice for everyone. It would cover every little village in 250km radius.

And by the way - this building is ugly! I feel with the customers who are going to use it.

And in Germany we have lots of bureaucracy what can delay everything even if its close to be finished.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
[joking]Germany? Why would they want to do business there? Doesn't Apple know that it's licenses are invalid there? [/joking]

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Germans aren't very fast workers. I am living in Germany at the moment and we had works across the street every time I looked over there they were taking their pause (Break).

This also seems to be everytime I drive past a Baustelle (Construction) on the Autobahn, again always taking a break.
That is because they are before their schedule. Really - i know it from my own experience. Work is scheduled and if the logistics lag too they have to take even more breaks. But they are not slow working... if they are working. Money is an issue too. Believe me its more than complicated here ;)

davidee

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
rats ...

And I was going to be there the 10th

guess i'll put it on my list for next year

/me sighs
:apple:

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany

It's because everybody who's job has not been outsourced to China yet, is trying to last it as long as possible ;-)

PS: the shop looks ugly.

Unique Visuals

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
In the woods
Just want a decent place to buy, review apple products

I just wish instead of building mega million dollar stores they would spread out and have a decent place to buy and review their products. I wouldn't care if it was a shack or trailer even. All thats within 150 miles is a best buy that only has a few items and a clueless fanboy that doesn't know anything or a local comp repair shop that I end up having to return 6 times to get a common problem solved. I traveled 262 miles back and forth to get a vid card replaced. I told them the problem and they didn't believe me.. then had to go back yesterday cause they put a G5 door on my Mac pro.

Is it so hard to put someone with some training and a brain in a small kiosk setting?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Construction concerns? nah

Steve Jobs was to personally fly over there with the new tablet device and have some spectacular unveiling while hijacking all of the global news outlets.

His ride to the airport never came so everything was cancelled.

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Ok, here is the mail that I got from Apple just 2day. They basically say, that the store event had to be postponed until January, as they want to make sure that every detail is simply perfect.

And this is the picture of the Apple store itself, just 30 mins ago while I was there with my gf :)

As you can see, they are still working on something...

And for what is worth, here is the inside curtain that I was able to take picture off, just before they reviled the Apple Logo few days back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.