Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
iPhone 5S vs. Droid Mini

Same RAM (2 GB)
Same storage (16 GB)
Same size, weight, almost. So close that it makes no difference.

Screen size, Droid Mini's is bigger
Resolution, Droid Mini's is higher
Battery, Mini's lasts longer
Front AND rear cameras, Mini, more megapixels. according to various reviews, also better pictures.

Price: iPhone $199, Droid Mini $99. How is this even a competition?

Don't even get me started on the ability to sideload apps vs. having to play inside Apple's walled garden.

I've owned 3 iPhones, including my current 4s, and I wanted to give Apple one more chance with this announcement before I made the jump. Seriously, when a phone that you haven't even put in stores yet is behind the smallest Droid phone (which has been out for months) in almost every aspect, it's not close.

Why don't you try them both out before you decide? Looking at a spec sheet doesn't do either phone justice.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
iPhone 5S vs. Droid Mini

Same RAM (2 GB)
Same storage (16 GB)

Front AND rear cameras, Mini, more megapixels. according to various reviews, also better pictures.

Don't even get me started on the ability to sideload apps vs. having to play inside Apple's walled garden.

I've owned 3 iPhones, including my current 4s, and I wanted to give Apple one more chance with this announcement before I made the jump. Seriously, when a phone that you haven't even put in stores yet is behind the smallest Droid phone (which has been out for months) in almost every aspect, it's not close.

All good and dandy, personally I would get Droid maybe if it did run iOS. No way I will leave iOS for Android. I find myself loving iOS 7 quite a lot. And yes, I have used Android for over a year on my other work phone.

Last edited:

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
How is the iPhone 5C a watered down 5 when it has the same specs as the 5? All the hands on reviews I've read say there's nothing cheap about the 5C, that it feels durable and premium. So Apple creates some product differentiation and a phone that looks new rather than just selling last years model for $100 cheaper. It's Wall Street analysts that got this wrong making the assumption the 5C was intended to be a budget phone.

Exactly. People want to be able to say "oh this just came out" versus "oh this is old but it just became cheap enough for me to buy it". The C offers them an ability to do so.

It also maintains the status of the non-C iPhone as a premium product. Right now I couldn't tell the difference between the 4s purchased in 2011 versus one purchased in 2013. The premium label therefore is increasingly diluted as time goes on and more phones are sold for <100.00 or 0.00 on contract. The color of the C will immediately differentiate the iPhone brand in terms of a premium and economy image.

To put this another way, if I buy a 5 series BMW for 60k and 5 years later my same car can be bought new for 20k (since BMW wants to capture people in this market demographic with their old technology), then its status as a luxury symbol wanes with time. This problem can be easily fixed by just offering a lower priced car with older/not as much technology like the 1 series. That 60k price tag will always be associated with the 5 series while the 20k will be attached to the 1 series. The 5 series people don't feel slighted over time and the 1 series people are happy to drive a car with a BMW label on it.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
iPhone 5S vs. Droid Mini
Mini, more megapixels. according to various reviews, also better pictures.

actual photographers know that megapixel count is a false indicator of quality. sensor and glass...you want better pixels, not more of them.

also, since the S isn't out how can their be any reviews of its image quality? there can't and aren't.

I've never heard of a droid mini, but I'm guessing it isn't 64-bit, is slower, and doesn't have a capacitive fingerprint sensor. sounds cheap. I'll wager it doesn't sell as well as the S.

----------

these videos make me sick to my stomach

steve would have never allowed this

get real. seriously. you've never been in the same room with the man, let along know what he would allow. you do realize jobs approved iPod socks, right?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
So yeah, when Johnny talking up about plastic as if it's an expensive, intricate and charming material, I guess it's really time to laugh.

But he is not calling this material "plastic" -- he's calling it "polycarbonate" -- and going through the intricate process that makes this wonderful, new, groundbreaking product so spectacular. He is really selling the thing.

"We strive to make you see a familar experience with a brand new product that you will find comfortably familiar..."

Yeah, cause it's the same thing as IP5 except in colored plastic.

I call BS.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
get real. seriously. you've never been in the same room with the man, let along know what he would allow. you do realize jobs approved iPod socks, right?

Hey I love those iPod Socks, I still have some, great for any small device.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Nobody says polymer engineering is an easy subject. How did you come up with that?

But it's made of a plastic for a reason. Profit. Come to think of it, 5C is not really cheaper, only $100 less yet the quality and design wise is nowhere near Apple standard.

So yeah, when Johnny talking up about plastic as if it's an expensive, intricate and charming material, I guess it's really time to laugh.

read the post i replied to:

"ive talking a lot about so little"

...my point is thermo plastics engineering isn't "so little" and can indeed warrant a conversation with a lot of "fancy" words.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Ah, I've still got and still use an iSight camera on my Mac. You know, the real metal cylinder one.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Their style of video feels slightly more dated this time around

Agree, Jony I've is becoming a parody of himself. "When something is familiar yet new it is magical...". Really, WTF does that mean? And how exactly is a iPhone 5 in a colored plastic shell... magical?

What a clown, man. All seriousness is gone from Apple after Steve died.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
iPhone 5S vs. Droid Mini

Same RAM (2 GB)
Same storage (16 GB)

So all that matters is a big screen and a great camera? If Apple came out with a iPhone with bigger screen and loaded it up with a bunch of megapixels then all would be right in the world?

Give me a break.

And I don't see how you're comparing the battery. The figure for the mini is 28 hours of "usage" (their quotes, not mine) which really could mean anything. Maybe it means checking your email once every few hours, sending a few texts here and there, and maybe making a call or two. Apple's quote of 10 hours is for continuous usage. Meaning I can talk for 10 hours straight without the phone dying. Judging by all my friends that have to carry around their charging cables for their Android phones I doubt this mini is going to match that figure...

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
iPhone 5S vs. Droid Mini

Same RAM (2 GB)
Same storage (16 GB)

Yep, not buying the Droid Mini. Maybe it's for the same reason I have a Mac and not a so-called "equivalent" Dell that's cheaper.

By the way, the cost numbers are off. Don't know about the Droid, but the iPhone is a lot more than $199. I'm assuming the Droid is more than $99 and that you took the subsidized numbers.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I love Apple products seriously but, am I the only person that thinks the people that do the Keynotes, (save SJ and TC), just come across as a bunch of douches? Especially Jony Ive.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
going through the intricate process that makes this wonderful, new, groundbreaking product so spectacular. He is really selling the thing.

why on earth would you expect him to do anything other than that? as a major shareholder and head of design that's his job.

"We strive to make you see a familar experience with a brand new product that you will find comfortably familiar..."

Yeah, cause it's the same thing as IP5 except in colored plastic.

of course it's the same thing -- Cook said so right in the beginning. last year's model slotted one tier down (as usual); only this time with a plastic body, the feature of which is color, which allows it greater product distinction for customers interested in colors.

I swear some of you act like you believe someone is trying to...trick you. crazy. if the product category isn't for you select something else that is.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I love Apple products seriously but, am I the only person that thinks the people that do the Keynotes, (save SJ and TC), just come across as a bunch of ****s? Especially Jony Ive.

I'm feeling the same way as you except that I also didn't like some of the Steve Jobs keynotes. The iPad is "magical", gimme a break. Still glad he killed Flash against popular demand.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Agree, Jony I've is becoming a parody of himself. "When something is familiar yet new it is magical...". Really, WTF does that mean? And how exactly is a iPhone 5 in a colored plastic shell... magical?

Their marketing team is coming up with the script for Ive, just like they've always done. And I guarantee most of the team is the same from two years ago...

If you think Steve came up with these types of marketing videos when he was alive you're living a fantasy world.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

you need to go back and watch jobs keynotes. he was a salesman and talked in the same way.

btw, Ive isn't saying plastic is magic. he's describing the feeling one gets when using a brand new thing yet having that thing come naturally and feel familiar.

talking about subjective design isn't for everyone. nor art, nor wine, nor architecture, nor music, nor any of the arts.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
why on earth would you expect him to do anything other than that? as a major shareholder and head of design that's his job.

of course it's the same thing -- Cook said so right in the beginning. last year's model slotted one tier down (as usual); only this time with a plastic body, the feature of which is color, which allows it greater product distinction for customers interested in colors.

I swear some of you act like you believe someone is trying to...trick you. crazy. if the product category isn't for you select something else that is.

People will always find a way to hate Apple. If the iPhone directly beam information to their brains, they would find it "too intrusive" or say that it was "copying google glass" in concept.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Dan Riccio said Touch ID can read multiple fingerprints in any orientation. (1:16) I guess that's great if a user accidently cuts or burns a finger that must be bandaged. So I suspect users should register all 10 fingers (and perhaps toes too for extremely clumsy) with Touch ID.

From what I read earlier you can store 5 prints. And I would imagine that the short/long password is engaged in unison with Touch ID so you can choose which way to unlock the phone.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
To put this another way, if I buy a 5 series BMW for 60k and 5 years later my same car can be bought new for 20k (since BMW wants to capture people in this market demographic with their old technology), then its status as a luxury symbol wanes with time. This problem can be easily fixed by just offering a lower priced car with older/not as much technology like the 1 series. That 60k price tag will always be associated with the 5 series while the 20k will be attached to the 1 series. The 5 series people don't feel slighted over time and the 1 series people are happy to drive a car with a BMW label on it.

OMFG... enough already with the car analogies! Every time with a car analogy, and using BMW of all brands. BMWs are driven by young females and can't apply to a broad market item like a phone. Nevermind the attempted analogy is completely unrelated to the reason Apple created the iPhone C.

Let us please stay on topic with the phone and away from more car analogies.

:rolleyes:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
That picture with the finger, see that is why scanners should detect blood flow to make sure the finger is alive. Movies really need that, people always losing their fingers and eyes in movies.

they hiding text and icons under the "non" logo in the video.

I still can't take that case seriously.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Agree, Jony I've is becoming a parody of himself. "When something is familiar yet new it is magical...". Really, WTF does that mean?

Ive has a valid point here. It may sound like malarkey, but it's the key concept that most companies (not just tech) from content through to hardware strive to achieve.

sound

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2003
-_-

look at a snowboard binding - same material, look and feel, indestructible - guess the technology ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.