Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Still glad he killed Flash against popular demand.

I still hate that as flash is required for sites that still use it. It could have just been an option one can turn on and off. Saying flash is dead does not make using a flash based site any easier. No great love for it, just needed until every site moves to something else.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Apple marketing fluff in overdrive.

Almost lost it when he is talking about photography, and how 64bit architecture help make it better :rolleyes:

I think at this point even the most dumbest of Apple fanboys isn't eating their marketing rubbish

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
Those ads make me cringe. I'm astonished that Apple are still churning out the same overly exaggerated monologues with the same offensively inoffensive jingly music.

The ads alone make you feel like you're looking at a 5 year old product.

----------

What? No iWatch? Uh oh....HamStrung has to be kicking themselves for "taking the bait" :p

You'll have a point, if they don't sell any.

Densi

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
Maybe it is real

In short, I think it's not a real world shot, but it's shot off using a 5S.

I am not sure about that. I took a very real world macro shot with my 4S and I am using it now as a wallpaper on my iMac. Of course not the quality made for the Ads, especially the background, but the flower is really ok, in my point of view. I am looking forward to see the reviews end of month...

http://instagram.com/p/eHT7riu51R/

Kind regards from Germany
Daniel

Yondaime

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
iPhone 5S vs. Droid Mini

Same RAM (2 GB)
Same storage (16 GB)
Same size, weight, almost. So close that it makes no difference.

Screen size, Droid Mini's is bigger
Resolution, Droid Mini's is higher
Battery, Mini's lasts longer
Front AND rear cameras, Mini, more megapixels. according to various reviews, also better pictures.

Price: iPhone $199, Droid Mini $99. How is this even a competition?

Don't even get me started on the ability to sideload apps vs. having to play inside Apple's walled garden.

I've owned 3 iPhones, including my current 4s, and I wanted to give Apple one more chance with this announcement before I made the jump. Seriously, when a phone that you haven't even put in stores yet is behind the smallest Droid phone (which has been out for months) in almost every aspect, it's not close.

Droid mini??? Really???. You should really get an android then. We all obviously have different needs. It has never been about specifications for me. It's about the UI and ecosystem. Droid or whatever android phone is a no no for me. I own only apple products I love the ease of syncing everything across my idevices. And picture quality according to various reviews??. There are already extensive reviews on the iphone 5S picture quality, wow that was quick. Also more megapixels equal more noise. Let more professional photographers school you about this. I am sure if apple made a lager screen i could get used to it but I also have an iPad and I use it for large screen stuff (like browsing, youtube and the like). A larger screen does not appeal to me, neither does widgets.

Densi

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
Camera

Hi All

Ok, it is like every year. We expect to much and we are disappointed because we know nearly everything cause we are reading sites like macrumors every day.

The 5S is expensive, but will I buy it? Heck yes!

If the camera is that good Apple is saying, with all these new features, it will be the killer feature for me with two little kids. 120fps will be amazing and I will sit way more in front of my iMac cutting cool family videos than before. Photo Burst is a very welcome feature too! And if the quality will be this good, I will forget the high price in a moment.

The best camera is the one you always have with you :)

Daniel

P.S.: I was surprised about the 5C pricing as well, but only because I believed the rumors and analysts. The 5C is a very good phone, it only looks different and I think, this is a good strategy for Apple to have two phones now.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
that 5C video reminds me of all those apple parodies. ive talking a lot about so little using as many fancy words as possible to describe plastic.

YouTube: video

Good satire should be factually correct, because it's the absurdity of the facts that make it funny. This kinda falls flat. Like, they should've laughed at the 5C for being a year old phone, except worse.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hi All

Ok, it is like every year. We expect to much and we are disappointed because we know nearly everything cause we are reading sites like macrumors every day.

The 5S is expensive, but will I buy it? Heck yes!

If the camera is that good Apple is saying, with all these new features, it will be the killer feature for me with two little kids. 120fps will be amazing and I will sit way more in front of my iMac cutting cool family videos than before. Photo Burst is a very welcome feature too! And if the quality will be this good, I will forget the high price in a moment.

The best camera is the one you always have with you :)

Daniel

P.S.: I was surprised about the 5C pricing as well, but only because I believed the rumors and analysts. The 5C is a very good phone, it only looks different and I think, this is a good strategy for Apple to have two phones now.

Yeah .. definitely. If you're in time to get a new iPhone, by no means get the 5S. It's only $100 difference but you get a lot more, so why not spend a bit more and aim for the best?

Same and nice aluminum unibody, A7 CPU, 120fps camera, fingerprint sensor, those features make 5C looks ape$***. You'd be sorry not to go for the 5S.

5C is a decent phone but the price is so wrong. For a polycarbonate meticulous body :rolleyes: they should charge a lot less than that.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
****. I completely forgot about Verizon's network. I planned on switching to Verizon on a share plan, saving me ~$70/mo with AT&T. Believe it or not, voice+data has become an essential factor in my work and personal life. Now I may be stuck with AT&T unless I'm missing knowledge on the matter.

i would never use Verizon. consider yourself lucky

----------

How is the iPhone 5C a watered down 5 when it has the same specs as the 5? All the hands on reviews I've read say there's nothing cheap about the 5C, that it feels durable and premium. So Apple creates some product differentiation and a phone that looks new rather than just selling last years model for $100 cheaper. It's Wall Street analysts that got this wrong making the assumption the 5C was intended to be a budget phone.

i can't find one review where any reviewer says the iphone 5c feels "premium".

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Big disappointment on the 5C price.

Been waiting for an age for an affordable iPhone.

Nearly £500 quid for a plastic phone - you got to be kidding! And its not even innovative. £250 and they would sell like hot cakes. £469 for repackaged 5 year old concept, in plastic - who are they trying to kid.

My guess - the Chinese market is the only place these are going to sell. And Apple decided to ********* the rest.

Missed the market here in the UK big time Apple. Lots of articles in the press about the disappointment.

Being a long time Mac user it really hurts to say......but, if they don't offer it really cheap on contract, its time for a Windows phone.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
It's like saying that new Lamborghini model makes a difference in China because it's $1000 cheaper than the previous one.
iPhone 5c is still too expensive for China, and there it will cost $733, due to local taxes. It's a flop. Huge, plain, total flop.

Comparing a car, let alone a Lamborghini to a phone purchase is not a viable comparison.

But I do agree that it is too expensive for anywhere.. However it is Apple's intention to ship these in numbers to China, and 'crack' the market.

I do not think that they will be able to sustain a high price structure in China if it is a flop. Being made from plastic and using existing internal hardware with research cost's already re-couped (I don't care what Jonny says about expert crafting etc), the phone is cheaper to make and is not represented in the current price.

This allows margins to reduce the cost's of the phones in lesser viable markets.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
when the iPhone 6S comes out, does the iPhone 5S becomes the iPhone 6C ?

This is an interesting question: is Apple diverging the product lines (c and standard), or will they run in step (plastic bodied old phones every year)?

It's possible they plan to evolve the c line only every two years, which might mean lower prices at the end of the cycle, but on balance I'd think an annual release makes more sense (the c-plan customers will have something new to look forward to each year :)). If the 5s boards do, in fact, fit the 5c case, as rumoured, that would probably be the clincher.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Big disappointment on the 5C price.

Been waiting for an age for an affordable iPhone.

Nearly £500 quid for a plastic phone - you got to be kidding! And its not even innovative. £250 and they would sell like hot cakes. £469 for repackaged 5 year old concept, in plastic - who are they trying to kid.

My guess - the Chinese market is the only place these are going to sell. And Apple decided to ********* the rest.

Missed the market here in the UK big time Apple. Lots of articles in the press about the disappointment.

Being a long time Mac user it really hurts to say......but, if they don't offer it really cheap on contract, its time for a Windows phone.

£709 for the iPhone 5S 64GB. Ouch! Even the entry level iPhone 4S with 8GB is still £349. I wish them well but I think these prices are just ridiculous.

Shares down another 2% in pre-market. Interested to see what happens over the next few days.

Last edited:

shiraume

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Work in progress

The 5S will allow Apple to test its key iwatch technologies - the M7 chip and the fingerprint sensor. That's when you'll see Apple enter the mobile wallet business - who wants to bump their phone against a cash register when you can touch your watch in close proximity?

I've bought Apple products for 20 years because they are well made and last. I'm still using a 3GS and have no reason to upgrade until it dies on me - which it shows no sign of doing. I've always been tempted by the impressive new cameras, but I'll stick with my quality stand alone until I need to upgrade.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
read the post i replied to:

"ive talking a lot about so little"

...my point is thermo plastics engineering isn't "so little" and can indeed warrant a conversation with a lot of "fancy" words.

So I guess I could say that I have a good experience of "Crafting a carefully designed and blow-molded Polyethylene Terephtalate to form an aerodynamically curved container with a seamless connection for its users. On top of that a high purity dihydrogen monooxide is poured to fill the container and sealed meticulously to keep the highest purity intact for our customers"

Or I can simply say .. I'm selling you a plain bottled mineral water.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
It also has a new instruction set. That said, the bigger deal is that Apple is jumping ahead of the curve with 64-bit and not waiting for the hardware to catch up. It's better to get developers thinking in 64-bit now. That way in 2 years when our phones have 4GB we'll have apple that can make use of it. Otherwise, we'd have 64-bit capable phones in 2 years and nothing worth running on it.

You're right in that regard. As a developer move, this makes sense.

How is the iPhone 5C a watered down 5 when it has the same specs as the 5? All the hands on reviews I've read say there's nothing cheap about the 5C, that it feels durable and premium. So Apple creates some product differentiation and a phone that looks new rather than just selling last years model for $100 cheaper. It's Wall Street analysts that got this wrong making the assumption the 5C was intended to be a budget phone.

The most noticeable component isn't the same; that is to say, it's plastic. They save on their bottom line, but give me an inferior product. A 5 feels premium, but as the majority of reviewers said prior to this announcement, plastics feel cheaper. So in that regard, it's watered down. Not one review I've read (Ars, Engadget, Anand, TheVerge, etc.) has mentioned a premium feel.

I'm thinking because you're probably wrong. I'd bet being 64-bit is what's giving it massive amounts of computing power for a mobile device. this is what the Chair studio (Infinity Blade) guy said, and I'd bet he knows more about mobile computing and software engineering than you do.

I think you should probably read up on 64-bit processing. Just so I'm being fair though, maybe you missed the part where I kind of implied that 64-bit registers would, in some instances, give a speed boost.

btw, Ive isn't saying plastic is magic. he's describing the feeling one gets when using a brand new thing yet having that thing come naturally and feel familiar.

You mean the feeling one gets when they've used ANY PHONE THAT ISN'T A ROTARY, ever? It's numbers on a slab. Now they're just virtual numbers on a slab with browsers and apps. My 100 year old great grandpa (literally) can make calls on an iPhone. Or his old Android. Or his old BlackBerry. Or his brick Nokia.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
when the iPhone 6S comes out, does the iPhone 5S becomes the iPhone 6C ?

If they stick to the current pattern...

Sep 2014: Introduces iPhone 6, continues selling 5S as the lower-end model and 5C as the free with contract model. Drops 4S.

Sep 2015: Introduces 6S and 6C, drops 6 and 5C, continues selling 5S as free with contract model.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
But he is not calling this material "plastic" -- he's calling it "polycarbonate" -- and going through the intricate process that makes this wonderful, new, groundbreaking product so spectacular. He is really selling the thing.

In the video he calls the iPhone 5C "Unashamedly Plastic"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.