Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Remote Desktop - VNC - Screen Sharing

I think that most complaints about not being able to do a lot of the big things they can typically do on their desktops or laptops, would be dispelled if they ever made use of just one or more of these programs.

Especially with a much larger screen on the iPad as compared to the iPhone for example. I use Jaadu VNC almost always to remote to my iMac and even on the road with good response most often as if Im sitting right there at the desktop.

Also with Air Video from the App Store, I can stream over Wifi and 3G, videos that are kept on both my iMac and Time Capsule at home and with good quality and performance to boot. It even does live conversion of the videos while streaming them to you without so much as a hiccup on a good connection.

I personally look forward to the new screen real-estate and options to perform much of the daily paperwork routines I perform already on my iPhone.
Iv'e already decided on buying the 32G wifi/3G model, mostly in case there are times I need the data connection, but most of all for doing some cool e-reading.
(Any one else notice that the iBook app looks eerily similar to the app already in the app store called "Classics"?) <-- Did Apple buy or just copy this guys app?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Steve Jobs yesterday said that Apple was the biggest mobile company in the world. He said they were even bigger than Nokia by revenue.

Well kind of outdated now. Nokia just announced today a quarterly revenue by 16.8 billion dollar while Apple only had 15.7 billion dollar.

Also Nokia's smartphone marketshare grew up from 35% to 40% and they sold almost 70 million smartphones in 2009.

My question about this is Steve said Apple made $15.7 billion this quarter, beating out all the other companies. Did Steve mean just Apple's mobile part (iPhone, iPod & laptop) or the WHOLE company (which includes software, Mac Pros, iMacs, etc.)? If the former, OK, good for Apple. If the latter, I have a problem with that. I don't think it is fair to include desktops along with their cell phones when the other company just sells cell phones. Or am I just missing something?

Why on Earth does she not visit the library?

Take it from a college student, e-books are not really any cheaper than the traditional books. Also e-books are yours forever, you can't sell them back. While I paid a small fortune on textbooks I've also made a small fortune selling them on Amazon after I'm done with them. Plus a lot of textbooks the previous edition is far less expensive than the current edition, and most books you can get by using the previous edition. In fact a lot of my professors specifically suggest getting the previous edition and saving money. With e-books they would only sell the latest edition.

The e-books I was forced to get I wish were on a Kindle, reading the books on my computer screen dried out my eyes and gave me a headache after any long period of time.

The only advantage to e-books was having the ability to search in the document.

When I was a student, I liked to highlight important parts & write in the margins. Not a good idea for a library book. Plus, I majored in computer science & would like a few reference books handy. I don't want to have to go to the library or spend hours searching on the internet finding a way to do a quick thing.

Maybe families' social skills will be hampered still further, or maybe everyone will be only talking on FaceBook in 5 years.

I hate being one of those guys who say it, but I feel it should be said: no one's forcing people to buy these and totally ignore their family & friends. Why can't people take the responsibility to put down their phones, computers, whatevers & just spend time with other people? Sure, computers do make sending quick messages to other people, but there's still something to being with people in person.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
As soon as a University or school book publisher jumps on the iBooks store it will be a game changer in the education world. :p

I agree, come on O'Reilly and co! :)
IT would also be cool to purchase book updates, lets say you bought a second edition iBook (this could get confusing with the old laptop..), and a 3rd edition was published, just paying an upgrade fee would be great. Am I insane or brilliant :) :apple:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
:rolleyes:

What would be the fun if some people (like koobcamuk) didn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future?
Do you go to the library?

On a side note, I don't think people are going to be filling out unemployment on their iPads either. Times are tough.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
This product will for now have to become an "acquired taste" for early adopters.

It is funny to see people complaining about what it doesn't do.
All of what it can't do is supposed to be done by the MacBook/Pro series.

To me the ipad is as non understandable as the AppleTV, except I like the ibooks part.

If AppleTV was a breakthrough device I'd have one already, same for the ipad.

As an Apple user since 1984, I recommend to everybody to wait.

They'll get it right in about 3 generations:)

It looks like market pressure (kindle, netbooks, google etc.) forced their hand to come out quickly.

So, for now they probably are throwing it out there, claiming a stake in this market and then go from there.

In 3-6 months there will be a $ 100 price drop, the 16GB version will go away and a front facing camera (or a reversible lense option making it possible to take pix and front face the lens) will be added.

That makes the most sense, as part of surfing these days is chatting with family and friends on camera.

BTW: We can also expect a lot of "ipad snatching" in subways and darker city areas:)

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009

They'll get it right in about 3 generations:)

It looks like market pressure (kindle, netbooks, google etc.) forced their hand to come out quickly.

So, for now they probably are throwing it out there, claiming a stake in this market and then go from there.

In 3-6 months there will be a $ 100 price drop, the 16GB version will go away and a front facing camera (or a reversible lense option making it possible to take pix and front face the lens) will be added.

I don't think 3-6 months will be enough. That would be like completely screwing up early adopters. Give it a year, like the iPhone.

speedriff

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
Oh If Only

To make this thing a sure fire winner, Apple needs to ship it with a remote desktop app already installed or have one you can buy fully tested and certified. If I could take this thing with me and access my iMac desktop and use this as a go between for serious work then Apple will have a huge winner. If not, it is just a neat toy that we can all go, "Gee wiz" at. Unfortunately, that is probably wishful thinking. Hey developers...do you see a market? I would rather Apple do it and do it right. Most remote desktops today have issues and aren't that reliable. C'mon Apple, throw us a freaking bone and this thing will fly off the shelves.

cheesymogul

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Bunch of stupid, jaded, myopic, spoiled, full of themselves, cry babies.

The iPad is going to sell like crazy--even better than the iPhone.

Whole new product category. It's going to blow netbooks out of the water.

Those AT&T data plans are also key to huge new profits for both companies.

The iPad is going to change lives and even the society as a whole.

No one will remember all this whining for long.
You are spot-on. I'm sure it's going to be a huge hit.

Even my computer illiterate brother who works as a mechanic already sees great potential for iPads in his field. He can totally imagine a garage full of mechanics with iPads sitting next to their toolbox. Each with the complete technical libraries of several auto makers on it and for ordering spare parts directly from the people's workspace.
Not to mention that unlike with printed workshop manuals and laptops, greasy fingerprints can be wiped off much easier ;)

Like many people did, I have been toying with the idea to hackinosh a netbook. But after watching the Keynote and especially their iWork demo I will never ever consider a netbook again.

Roger Fristedt

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
What's actually really disappointing for me is that the display still has this huge black frame around it. Would be so much nicer if it was borderless. But that's just me. It just sort of looks old already. :)

That's why Jonathan Ive is chief designer at Apple and not you.
Touch screen and borderless... How the hell should you hold it?

speedriff

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
Ok

After doing some research in the App Store, it appears that there are several remote desktop applications for the iPhone. Apple states that any iPhone app will work on the iPad. With that, I now have a reason to buy an iPad. How cool would that have been if Apple had developed that and incorporated it into the iPad? Steve could have said, "We don't need the full Mac OS because you can seamlessly access your desktop from anywhere you can get wi-fi or 3g. That would have surely made people sit up and take notice. I will have to do some research to see how good these apps actually work before just taking a leap of faith and buying the iPad. If they work out, it truly will be an awesome device.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
After doing some research in the App Store, it appears that there are several remote desktop applications for the iPhone. Apple states that any iPhone app will work on the iPad. With that, I now have a reason to buy an iPad. How cool would that have been if Apple had developed that and incorporated it into the iPad? Steve could have said, "We don't need the full Mac OS because you can seamlessly access your desktop from anywhere you can get wi-fi or 3g. That would have surely made people sit up and take notice. I will have to do some research to see how good these apps actually work before just taking a leap of faith and buying the iPad. If they work out, it truly will be an awesome device.
You might want to wait and see which ones get updated to support the iPad's native screen resolution. Stretching an iPhone app to fill the screen by pixel-doubling probably isn't what you want for a remote desktop app.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Eve known of a college that fills its shelves with dozens of copies if new textbooks - one for each student every year?

Most college/university libraries I've been to allow students to sign out text books for 1-2 hours at a time. I went through my entire degree without a computer at home, and almost never bought books because I could use the Labs and the Library. The best part was that no one else thought to go to the library to sign out the texts so they were always available. Having to make time to go to the library also encouraged me to actually read the text. It worked for me, but isn't for everyone.

s.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
This is fail, I'm watching right now and Steve just said nobody likes netbooks and they use a low quality display.. LIES, most netbooks use led backlight displays.. way better then some of the ones available on laptops..

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
You might want to wait and see which ones get updated to support the iPad's native screen resolution. Stretching an iPhone app to fill the screen by pixel-doubling probably isn't what you want for a remote desktop app.

Don't think this will take long. As it is, the 3 apps I have on my iPhone (VNC, RDC, and Citrix) all display the remote machine by default at its native resolution, and require a bunch of vertical and horizontal scrolling. It's like peering at the screen through a teeny window. Wouldn't really require "pixel doubling", only for the app to recognize it can throw up a 1024x768 window!

They are presently all usable in a pinch, but not for any heavy duty work on the cramped screen. Citrix in particular is amazingly smooth over WiFi at my hospital. I expect the iPad + Citrix or other remote app to seamlessly appear as if it is "running" the remote OS natively at full screen, and be something I can (finally!!) carry room to room with me in a medical environment...running proprietary Windows-only EPIC medical record software.

Also hoping Apple puts up a Back To My Mac app, so I can sit on the couch with the iPad while controlling my main machine without resorting to VNC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.