Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennis123123

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
The multitasking...

How do you close an app? I read somewhere that you don't need to, but then surely the bar that appears to switch between them will soon get crowded with every app on the iphone/ipod touch? Am I missing something? :S

AhuraMazda

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2005
The multitasking...

How do you close an app? I read somewhere that you don't need to, but then surely the bar that appears to switch between them will soon get crowded with every app on the iphone/ipod touch? Am I missing something? :S

The Polish video on the main page shows how to do it... you press and hold the app-icon on the multi-task tray... jiggles and a red-cross appears on the corner. Press the cross to kill the app.

Cheers

BoyRacer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2003
It looks to me like you can close an app - check out the video in the story below; close to the end you can see the user has done the press-and-hold on an icon for one of several running apps, it starts to wiggle, and where we would normally see a tiny 'X' in the top left corner of the icon for deleting an app, we instead see a tiny '-'. The user in the video taps that '-' and the app disappears.

Am I mistaken? Is that how you close an app in the new 'multitasking' iPhoneOS 4?

LINK
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/0...from-iphone-4-camera-flash-multicore-support/

Halopend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
The multitasking...

It seems the list always has the last app used 1st, second last used app second... and so on and so forth.

The list will become overpopulated with time, but at least you'll have quick access to the app you'll most likely need given this automatic ordering. Also note that apps listed here aren't really running in the background so while you may be tempted to remove programs from the list given that you aren't using it, it'll have no real affect on the performance of the system (it's kind of interesting since it breaksaway from the paradigm we are all used to of "quitting" an app).

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The number of people rating "multitasking" as a negative in another thread is hilarious! All those years of complaining, and now that Apple has delivered -- they're still complaining! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty psyched about OS 4. The iPhone, Touch and iPad are now narrowing the gap between what a "real" computer is and what a mobile device is.

nkm

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
hold them down

The multitasking...

you hold it down and it will start wiggling and you press the "x" just like you would delete an app.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
I hate you Apple

I hate you so much...
Waited so long for multitasking...
Wished that it would be here...
Got the news we all waited for...
Found that my ipod 2nd gen is not supported...
Because its not up to par with 3rd gens...
What do you have against our 2nd gens...
I just hate you for today...
Hopefully the day will past quickly...
Tomorrow I'll be back to loving you...

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I've been really impressed by the event.. a bit annoyed that my 2nd gen ipod will not have multi task support.. but I really like the new features.. I hope there is a work around for it to work on a 2nd gen ipod..

Lershac

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA USA
I wonder what his closet looks like? I think I am going to start wearing the same thing every day.

Ya know, I been doing that for the longest time... Different color shirts, but all the same shirt, same jeans, got 2 pair of shoes the same... its really simpler for me. When I need new shirts... I call my girl at brooks brothers "hey send me 12 shirts... pick me some good colors" boom I am done.

I find it freeing. It also creates a "brand" for me (I am self employed) and I keep it NICE.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I can't believe I'm going to say this but... iAds looks kinda cool! Also sweet brag @ Steve Jobs. I want to see Toy Story 3!!!! :mad:

Ashmanspice

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
wow, never thought I would be impressed with iAd, toy story 3 ftw!

edit: ahh robert, you beat me lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.