Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemac11

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I think this is really being blown out of proportion. It is really only a phone. Sure Apple made a mistake and may have handled it poorly, but what is so much attention gonna accomplish? What has happened has happened so let's just wait it out and see if Apple comes out with a fix instead of issuing frivolous lawsuits and fabricating emails in a smear campaign. What I say is that you cannot learn without first making mistakes, and if all else fails there are other brands.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Tom! I knew it couldn't stand to see a company grow.... someone is bitter that MySpace failed:p;)

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Good to know what sites back the exchanges they post as 'believed to be 100% legitimate' with actual research, as opposed to, I don't know, pulling random objects out of their behinds.

Some of it did seem fairly Jobsy, except for the idea that he would persist with a writer of this sort through so many emails.

ckohler

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Just goes to show how desperate the public is for a more concrete resolution to this whole fiasco.

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
You mean I can't trust everything I read on gadget blogs?

I don't know why I'm surprised. Gadget blogs are basically run by a bunch of guys who have no interest in or appreciation for journalism fundementals like verifying sources.

But the damage is done. By now, millions of people are working themselves up because Steve Jobs told a customer to "Calm down" and said "It's just a phone."

mac*jedi*g

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Well it a wash at this point. How many posters from the earlier blogs sucked this fake in - "hook, line and sinker"? I would not be surprised if all the newbies and some existing members here haven't already thrown their new toy out the window, or through a wall by now just on the very notion of being slighted by Jobs. :cool:

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
It was entirely obvious that the story was fake as several people suggested (myself included) when it made front page news on MR earlier today. Jobs' comments in that story were completely out of character.

Poor reporting.

Completely agree. Very poor reporting.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
For real, it's time Apple come forth and publicly make a statement about this whole issue. This whole Jobs emailing business, while nice, isn't working, and this is evident by the fake emails being fabricated.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
My favorite part of this whole incident:

20100702-x3rg89gf8pnp32qruq8p8785id.jpg

http://www.burfordadvertising.com/Burford_Advertising/Jason_Burford.html

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
One of the commenters are BGR is claiming that there is even an error in the posted headers (the ones from Burford's sent email that wouldn't prove anything anyway) that demonstrate it is fake.

I don't know what I'm looking for, and the commenter is saying his posts are being moderated by BGR. Anybody see a giveaway?

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Exactly what did they advertise that you consider deceptive?
I know AT&T advertised it as an upgrade - upgrades at the very least do not decrease functionality.

I thank the person for the link - better to register a complaint now and let the FCC decide if anything illegal has occurred.

Qtip29

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Of course it's a problem... with all newer cell phones. Just by varying degrees. You can get a call with one brand of cell phone that you couldn't with another. Common stuff.

I know it is a problem, one that happens to plague the iphone more than any other modern smartphone, but their verbiage is too inconsistent when it comes to this matter. In one email Steve is saying that it is a non-issue, in the next one he is saying the issue is being worked on. If this were indeed a non-issue, why would anything be being worked on? According to this statement by apple pr, it's a problem. So when will we - if ever- find out what apples plans are in addressing this issue? Even if they had none, I would like to know. All I'm saying is that I don't appreciate apple beating around the bush.

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Good. I'm glad this happened. Too bad this is what it took to get tier attention. Now, they just neednto go one step further and actually comment on the problem.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'm so glad this turned out to be fake. I'm so sick of the MR forum members who do anything they can to crap on Jobs. So much childish name calling is as they are PERFECT and are free of criticism. Until YOU (MR forum members) are perfect and do nothing that deserves an ounce of criticism, please keep the name calling to yourself. :p

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
It is just a phone - and it's not a broken one by any means, it's the best phone you can get right now. If you're so worried about the falling bars, just buy a bumper. Or buy a different phone, your loss.

these forums are infested with trolls - something must be done about it.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Not hard to fake an alias in an email, either. You can spoof addresses all the time.

I looked through the headers but didn't notice anything. Someone with a better eye than me could probably find the supposed error.

Regardless, Apple PR is definitely more reliable than this guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.