Apple Predicted to Launch Optional Stylus Accessory Alongside 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is back with another report outlining his belief that Apple will launch a stylus as an optional accessory for the company's rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro". With the new iPad's larger screen, it will likely prove popular with enterprise and creative users who tend to have more need for a stylus and Kuo believes Apple will fill that need with an in-house solution.
    [​IMG]
    Apple's proposed haptic stylus from a 2010 patent application, not necessarily reflective of the company's current thinking on such a device
    Kuo believes the stylus will be an optional accessory rather than included standard with the new iPad, as the relatively expensive stylus would drive the base cost of the iPad too high.
    Looking at technical details of the stylus, Kuo predicts it will charge via a Lightning connector, believing a more convenient wireless charging solution would be too expensive and require difficult antenna design that Apple will likely forego initially. Kuo also believes the initial stylus model will not include a gyroscope accelerometer, but future models could include the component to support "3D handwriting" to allow the user to write on other surfaces or even in the air.

Kuo believes Apple will launch this new stylus in the second or third quarter of this year, roughly the timeframe predicted for the iPad Pro launch. The company has filed for a number of patents related to stylus technology, with the most recently publicized one being a "communicating stylus" that would automatically transcribe handwritten notes into digital form.

Article Link: Apple Predicted to Launch Optional Stylus Accessory Alongside 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro'

2. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

At last...bring it to the other smaller models as well!

3. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

4. andrewjaques macrumors newbie

"Who Wants a Stylus?"

Having rewatched the 2007 Jobs iPhone announcement recently, this bit particularly stands out regarding this news:

http://youtu.be/4YY3MSaUqMg?t=10s

"You have to get them, and then put them away... yeuch!"

5. ikunalz macrumors newbie

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

This is the only iPad that I have any real interest in. A bigger screen for websites and media consumption....drool worthy.

7. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

Perhaps not on an iPhone as it's too small but on a tablet give people a choice!

It's also worth noting that was 8 years ago and things have come a long way since then, there's now much more you can do with touch interfaces so a stylus which perhaps was not a good idea a number of years ago would be a good option now.

8. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

You're acting like you would be forced to use the stylus.

Back then, you were forced to use it with "smart" phones because using your finger would be annoying.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

At last! Im fine with it being an optional accessory as long as its a great stylus

10. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

If Apple did do this, I hope the pen would be pressure sensitive for digital painting and stuff.

11. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

We laughed at Microsoft when they did that

Funny, everyone was laughing at Microsoft when they included the Stylus with the Surface Pro, and now it seems Apple is following suit.

I know I know, 'Apple does it better',,, 'now is the time, it was too early two years ago', etc.. but you have to give them credit that they were on to something with the idea of 'productive tablet' rather than a media consumption device.

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Please dont say everyone, some of us were very happy with Microsoft including a stylus.

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Steve also thought a 3.7" phone was the perfect size. He's been wrong MANY times

Also, to have true 1:1 reaction wouldn't apple need to change the display technology? So it's not going to work on the current iPad and just be as effective as current iPad stylus out there

14. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

I'm sure it would be pretty good if Apple have anything to do with it, hopefully it will be like having a beautiful pen not just a piece of plastic :D

15. Macxpress macrumors newbie

Yeah because Steve never flip flopped on what he said. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

It actually makes sense for this purpose if it does indeed include one. This is a different product for different people. An everyday person isn't going to be purchasing an iPad Pro, or at least I don't see it unless they're doing it to replace a laptop at home.

16. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

If this turns out to be true, the Samsung and Android fanboys are going to eat this up. I already can't take out my 6 Plus at work or on campus without hearing about how Samsung made big screen phones first.

17. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Oh please include an active digitizer, but PLEASE don't restrict it to the "Pro" device. I still think 12.9" for a tablet is a bit too much for many (most?) people.

18. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

19. noveneerhere macrumors member

It won't be a "stylus" in its traditional sense – replacing the finger, that he'd roll over for. More like a creative tool – kind of like the "Adobe Ink & Slide".

20. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

You have problems if minor teasing paralyzes you.

"Samsung had a big screen first."

"Oh my god, can't use my iPhone, have to hide it."

Anyways... I can see Apple making a stylus.

21. RobertMartens macrumors 65816

RobertMartens

Did you just say 'fanboys'? How 2012!

I'll believe this stylus thing when I see it.

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Nah loved the man to death but he wasn't always right. For example I love my giant iPhone.

23. noveneerhere macrumors member

The other ones are too small to sketch on, it will be made for the 12.9" because of its size.

24. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

It doesn't keep me from using my phone, but I fail to see how that means it can't be annoying constantly hearing it.

25. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I don't feel that 9.7" is too small at all. In fact, unless there is good arm/Palm rejection he 12.9" will be too big. Plus, if your needs demand mobility you'll want the 9.7" or 7.9" model.

I don't think the Mini will get much love, Apple's showed it isn't a priority.