Apple Predicted to Launch Optional Stylus Accessory Alongside 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is back with another report outlining his belief that Apple will launch a stylus as an optional accessory for the company's rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro". With the new iPad's larger screen, it will likely prove popular with enterprise and creative users who tend to have more need for a stylus and Kuo believes Apple will fill that need with an in-house solution.
Given that it's more precise than a person's fingers, a stylus can be more convenient to use than the combination of keyboard and mouse in some cases. Therefore, we believe Apple's stylus will improve the user experience of 12.9-inch iPad.
Apple's proposed haptic stylus from a 2010 patent application, not necessarily reflective of the company's current thinking on such a device
Kuo believes the stylus will be an optional accessory rather than included standard with the new iPad, as the relatively expensive stylus would drive the base cost of the iPad too high.
We don't think all users will need a stylus initially. Coupled with its unfavorable cost structure, high selling prices may turn consumers off if the 12.9-inch iPad is always bundled with it. We therefore expect the stylus to be an optional accessory before sufficient user feedback is received.
Looking at technical details of the stylus, Kuo predicts it will charge via a Lightning connector, believing a more convenient wireless charging solution would be too expensive and require difficult antenna design that Apple will likely forego initially. Kuo also believes the initial stylus model will not include a gyroscope accelerometer, but future models could include the component to support "3D handwriting" to allow the user to write on other surfaces or even in the air.

Kuo believes Apple will launch this new stylus in the second or third quarter of this year, roughly the timeframe predicted for the iPad Pro launch. The company has filed for a number of patents related to stylus technology, with the most recently publicized one being a "communicating stylus" that would automatically transcribe handwritten notes into digital form.

Article Link: Apple Predicted to Launch Optional Stylus Accessory Alongside 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro'

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This is the only iPad that I have any real interest in. A bigger screen for websites and media consumption....drool worthy.

Chrjy

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
UK
Having rewatched the 2007 Jobs iPhone announcement recently, this bit particularly stands out regarding this news:

http://youtu.be/4YY3MSaUqMg?t=10s

"You have to get them, and then put them away... yeuch!"
Perhaps not on an iPhone as it's too small but on a tablet give people a choice!

It's also worth noting that was 8 years ago and things have come a long way since then, there's now much more you can do with touch interfaces so a stylus which perhaps was not a good idea a number of years ago would be a good option now.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
If Apple did do this, I hope the pen would be pressure sensitive for digital painting and stuff.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
We laughed at Microsoft when they did that

Funny, everyone was laughing at Microsoft when they included the Stylus with the Surface Pro, and now it seems Apple is following suit.

I know I know, 'Apple does it better',,, 'now is the time, it was too early two years ago', etc.. but you have to give them credit that they were on to something with the idea of 'productive tablet' rather than a media consumption device.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Funny, everyone was laughing at Microsoft when they included the Stylus with the Surface Pro, and now it seems Apple is following suit.

I know I know, 'Apple does it better',,, 'now is the time, it was too early two years ago', etc.. but you have to give them credit that they were on to something with the idea of 'productive tablet' rather than a dumb media consumption device
Please dont say everyone, some of us were very happy with Microsoft including a stylus.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Sigh... Steve is rolling over in his grave :(
Steve also thought a 3.7" phone was the perfect size. He's been wrong MANY times

Also, to have true 1:1 reaction wouldn't apple need to change the display technology? So it's not going to work on the current iPad and just be as effective as current iPad stylus out there

Chrjy

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
UK
At last! Im fine with it being an optional accessory as long as its a great stylus
I'm sure it would be pretty good if Apple have anything to do with it, hopefully it will be like having a beautiful pen not just a piece of plastic :D

Macxpress

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Sigh... Steve is rolling over in his grave :(
Yeah because Steve never flip flopped on what he said. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

It actually makes sense for this purpose if it does indeed include one. This is a different product for different people. An everyday person isn't going to be purchasing an iPad Pro, or at least I don't see it unless they're doing it to replace a laptop at home.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
If this turns out to be true, the Samsung and Android fanboys are going to eat this up. I already can't take out my 6 Plus at work or on campus without hearing about how Samsung made big screen phones first.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Oh please include an active digitizer, but PLEASE don't restrict it to the "Pro" device. I still think 12.9" for a tablet is a bit too much for many (most?) people.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If this turns out to be true, the Samsung and Android fanboys are going to eat this up. I already can't take out my 6 Plus at work or on campus without hearing about how Samsung made big screen phones first.
You have problems if minor teasing paralyzes you.

"Samsung had a big screen first."

"Oh my god, can't use my iPhone, have to hide it."

Anyways... I can see Apple making a stylus.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Did you just say 'fanboys'? How 2012!

I'll believe this stylus thing when I see it.

noveneerhere

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Oh please include an active digitizer, but PLEASE don't restrict it to the "Pro" device. I still think 12.9" for a tablet is a bit too much for many (most?) people.
The other ones are too small to sketch on, it will be made for the 12.9" because of its size.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
You have problems if minor teasing paralyzes you.

"Samsung had a big screen first."

"Oh my god, can't use my iPhone, have to hide it."

Anyways... I can see Apple making a stylus.
It doesn't keep me from using my phone, but I fail to see how that means it can't be annoying constantly hearing it.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The other ones are too small to sketch on, it will be made for the 12.9" because of its size.
I don't feel that 9.7" is too small at all. In fact, unless there is good arm/Palm rejection he 12.9" will be too big. Plus, if your needs demand mobility you'll want the 9.7" or 7.9" model.

I don't think the Mini will get much love, Apple's showed it isn't a priority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.