Apple Predicted to Release Ultra-Slim 12-Inch MacBook with Retina Display in Mid-2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2013.

1. The Bad Guy macrumors 65816

The Bad Guy

What's 'PRO' about any of the current 13" line up?

2. mrbyu macrumors 6502

I just hope they can somehow manage that the price doesn't go up to the sky, because for my wallet the MBA is a barely an affordable option, but no way I could buy such an expensive machine like the rMBP.

I am planning to use my 13" MBA 2011 for at least another 2 years, so it doesn't really concern me right now, but I'm still curious.

3. mcarling macrumors 65816

The current MBAs are 11.6" and 13.3" so 12" would not be a great change from the smaller model. It might be just enough to make 4:3 practical with Apple's standard keyboard. In that case, I would buy one, but I definitely won't buy a 16:10 laptop.

4. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

The 11' is perfectly capable to become 12' without even changing the current formfactor.

I sure hope they change the current MBA screens because today the screen is the reason I'm not buying a macbook. And the mbp is overkill in so many ways

5. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

To all those who didn't get suckered into buying all the filler-hardware this year like the 5S et al. Well done for your self discipline. There was no need to "upgrade" incrementally.

Moral of the tale. 2014 could be the year Apple finally returns to what people want. Big screen iPHONE. Super light notebooks with keyboards. Real keyboards. NOTtt resized iPads. And to top it off. Affordable iMacs.

Apple. There still hope yet! Roll on next year when I can start spending my money again. Excellent! And not a day too soon. Whew!:)

6. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

7. amccullough macrumors newbie

No Way

Really, Macrumors? How is it even physically possible to make something thinner than the MacBook Air (with a smaller battery) and have a Retina display (increasing power needs) while still maintaining a great battery life?

8. mrhud macrumors newbie

9. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

I think that Apple's woeful treatment (if not utter neglect) of their professional clientele over the last 3+ years has hit that point home quite well enough, thank you. :(

10. cgc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Apple's laptops are very thin...I'd prefer they work to make the components thinner but keep the laptops themselves the same thickness and use the difference to accommodate more battery.

11. olowott macrumors 6502a

olowott

something new is always coming out from apple, and then you have to keep waiting just because a new rumour says something new and better.

This guys are the ones who kill the market when everyone keeps waiting for the best next thing

12. JayJayAbels macrumors 6502

JayJayAbels

This sounds like the rumored larger iPad. Maybe some sort of clamshell iPad.

13. outpost macrumors member

outpost

Been waiting over 6 months to trade my iMac for a laptop, but not interested in the 11", 12", 13" Air or whatever ..... just want the 15" Haswell rMBP to be released !! Black would be cool, but Space Grey would be cooler. Here's hoping for next week.

14. JayJayAbels macrumors 6502

JayJayAbels

iPad.

15. iCharles macrumors newbie

The 12" seems like a good option, especially if it runs on an Apple branded processor and replies mainly on iCloud as the OS. Apple would be wise to bring a new product to market that competes directly with chrome books.

16. manu chao macrumors 603

You're funny, the current UI displayed at 720 vertical pixels doesn't leave you enough space but if you scaled it to let's say 900 vertical pixels everything would be incredibly small. Which is it, do you want more screen estate by having smaller UI elements or do you want to keep the same physical size of the UI elements?

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Simple - chop of the gentle curvature of the bottom while adjusting the wedge shape to be a little thicker throughout (Still thinner than before.

Or just ditch the wedge shape entirely and make it the thickness of a USB port.

This could be the laptop to bring me back to the Air - the 11" was just too small vertically (Because it is 16:9) and the 13" had too large of a footprint being the same size as the 13" non-retina MBP.

Though I would miss all the ports on my current retina MBP, so maybe not.

18. pmz macrumors 68000

Then no, you don't really want.

You pay for what you get. Or you don't. Your choice.

19. manu chao macrumors 603

The Lightning port is an interesting idea but it would create another huge outcry of Apple being non-standard, insisting on doing their own thing, always needing adaptors etc., this forum here would boil over with hatred. The other thing is that USB cables always have different plugs at both ends to illustrate that USB is always a master-slave situations, ie, you cannot connect two computers via USB (which would be possible mechanically if there were cables with two USB-A plugs) or connect two hard drives to each other (via a two USB mini plugs cable). Using Lightning would break that convention.

And regarding the optical drive, I fully agree with you, for almost anybody it means carrying around something they need very rarely but I'd still hate to be limited to 768 GB (current 15" rMBP), at a very high price on top, compared to my current setup of 1.5 TB (which I could up to 2.5 TB by combining a 1 TB SSD with a 1.5 TB HDD).

20. pmz macrumors 68000

Compare it to the experience of the old MBP that offered an optional "high res" display at 1680 x 1050. It looked ridiculous compared to 1440 x 900

21. manu chao macrumors 603

Last year's Intel GPU is powerful enough to power a 13" retina screen plus two 27" externals:

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display (2560 x 1600) and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors.

22. nilk, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

nilk macrumors 6502a

This is exactly the kind of MacBook I am waiting for.

I hope it has options for 16GB RAM, and 1TB SSD. Then it will be exactly the machine I want. Extra points if it can Geekbench over 8000.

Edit: Doesn't need to be thinner than the current MBA. If they could get the weight somewhere in the ballpark of the 11" MBA, that would be awesome. I'm currently typing this on a Samsung ARM Chromebook which weighs about the same as the 11" MBA, and the portability of it fantastic.

23. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

The "THIN-AIR Book?" Is this a replacement for the air book? Or is it the new MacBook Pro? Me confused. With it being even thinner than the current MacBook Air tho...I highly doubt its a MacBook Pro replacement. Hard to imagine App,e being able to cram the power of a pro into something so thin.

24. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Am I the only one that does NOT want to see Apple getting rid of the Classic MacBook Pro?? I like the ability to upgrade the RAM and Internal drives, as well as the matte display option, internal gigabit ethernet, FW800, and optical bay. These are all things lacking on the Retina MacBook Pros.

The Retina displays are actually not that great yet. They are lacking in some regards, viewing angles, brightness, etc....the quality is not perfect yet. And the OS and Apps do not all support the Retina display yet....some major apps still look very grainy on the Retina display. The Retina MacBook Pro still seems like an experimental/hobbyist machine to me and is much more prone to crashes as is right now.

I know, because I had one. I sold it on eBay....now I have a Classic model and like it much, much better.