Apple Predicted to Release Ultra-Slim 12-Inch MacBook with Retina Display in Mid-2014

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
being a chief analyst at lets-see-what-sticks analytics, i can tell you with a great degree of certainty that, in fact, this is the new ipad 6, with a 12" retina display which will come with a built-in hardware keyboard and clamshell form factor - but no USB port. it will be called the macpad.

remember where and when you heard it :p

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
oh sure yup...
Best Buy Rep: hey, you want the 11",12",13" or 15"?
Customer: I was looking at the macbook
BB Rep: Yeah, they're all MacBooks, so 11,12,13, or 15?
C: I like the idea of maybe the 13
BBR: The Air or Pro
C: I thought you said they were all MacBooks
BBR: They are but there's two lines, the air and pro. Air 11 & 13, pro 12,13,15
C: 12? That's only an inch less?
BBR: Well...

Can you see the craziness? I'm not saying the 12" isn't true, but I'd put money on it that they won't be the exact same line. If the 12" is true, I'd guess that the 13" is going away. Who know's, maybe it's a consolidation. Or maybe he's got his sizes mixed up and the 12" is actually for an iPad. Maybe the air will be consolidated to a single size... I have no freak'n idea and neither does he but anyone with half a brain can realize that a only a 1" decrease in Apple's book does not justify a new product, it's just too confusing (for what apple has had for product lines). Now if it was any other oem, heck yeah... look at asus. 11,11.5,12,12.25 SE,13.3,14.2,15.1,15.8.... You get the idea
You mighty think people are stupid and won't understand it. But to be honest, most people will, it's not rocket science.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Hmm 12 inch...didn't see that one coming.

I'm on a 15" retina right now but will probably switch to one of these if they are out next year (I tend to switch every 2 years as you still get ~80% retail value if you sell before Applecare expires, so dont spend much on a new machine).

I hope it's going to get dual thunderbolt ports. Ditch the crappy HDMI output if its going to be as poorly implemented as it was with the rMBP, and instead offer Display Port.

Really hope it's got a bit of power behind it with the Haswells. 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD in such a small package would be awesome.

Last edited:

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Hope that the screen ration of a 12" will be 16:9

I wish they just made the screen taller (and have a 16:10 ratio like the 13", not a 16:9 one).
I disagree very much: IMO the 16:9 screen of the 11" is much more beautiful than "the more square-like" 16:10 of the present 13", and IMO there isn't much real estate gain with the latter. But it of course is a question of likes and dislikes, and possible different needs.

I would like a 12" (about so) model with the size of the present 11" - that is: smaller bezels - and thick enough to provide enough battery time and not so thin that cooling will be a problem (like some of the ultrathin PCs of today...), and of course the size must be big enough to make a good keyboard, like the present 11" MBA.

Regarding the keyboard, I really also hope the Apple sticks to the present keyboard layout, with a large enough right shift key, that also is located in such a way that it is today, and not being "hidden" in (or so to speak "tucked in") between the keys next to it - like this important key is for instance in the Vaio Duo. That would be horrible for writers!

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
being a chief analyst at lets-see-what-sticks analytics, i can tell you with a great degree of certainty that, in fact, this is the new ipad 6, with a 12" retina display which will come with a built-in hardware keyboard and clamshell form factor - but no USB port. it will be called the macpad.

remember where and when you heard it :p
You mean with a detachable keyboard? Like some sort of MacBook Air ipad hybrid that will run both iOS AND OSX? Hmmm. Interesting. I love my ipad mini. I really do. It's highly portable and I can be creative on it, But there are times when on the road that I do long for the power & flexibility of a true laptop. It's not the physical keyboard as much as the ability to run actual programs that I miss. :)

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Not go for the crazy thinness race!

Xiroteus wrote:

"Even if there was the tech to make a computer as thin as a book cover does not make it a good idea, for a tablet, maybe. Just not at the expensive of power. Ports will also be needed."

This is so important, especially these days! I agree with you. Both battery life and lack of ports can be a result of the unnecessary and crazy thinness race in this business. And also a cooling problem can easily be the result, with fan noise. This must not happen!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I hate to say it but between the iMac and now the macbook, apple is turning me off with all this need to be the thinnist out there, it gets to the point where it starts hampering performance, it does'nt always have to be the thinnist
forest from trees. you can't get to futuristic form factors without, you know, getting there. until the iPad is a sheet of paper it's too thick.

----------

Do want....but not at the price Apple is going to charge for it.
huh? he MBAs are an incredible amount of machine for the price. a true value. they set the bar for ultrabooks. but of course, you'd like it for a junky netbook price, right?

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
i like my MBP with a 1TB drive to hold all my data
1TB of SSD is now ~$600 retail - give it a year or so and add Apple's buying power and it will soon be affordable. Also, once you've experienced the speed of a SSD-based machine you'll happily pay a bit extra.

Am I the only one that does NOT want to see Apple getting rid of the Classic MacBook Pro?? I like the ability to upgrade the RAM and Internal drives, as well as the matte display option, internal gigabit ethernet, FW800, and optical bay.
I swapped out the optical bay in my MBP for a second HD ~10 months ago, and have never looked back (and once 1TB SSDs become available, scratch the second HD). More and more people have just stopped using optical disks.

I only need 1GB Ethernet at home where I actually have a 1GB network to plug in to. Elsewhere, WiFi does the trick, and it's getting faster.

FW800 is now 'legacy' technology, replaced by USB3 - yes, I still use it, but that's what adapters are for.

At worst: you can optionally carry an external optical drive, ethernet dongle & Firewire dongle if you're likely to need one - rather than being forced to lug all that hardware around as part of your laptop.

The main pity is that Thunderbolt docking stations - which knock the connection issue on the head - have been so slow to appear & overpriced.

Maybe you can't give up your MBP Classic just yet - but the need for all those ports and drives is going away.

The "THIN-AIR Book?" Is this a replacement for the air book? Or is it the new MacBook Pro? Me confused.
Calm down - it's only a rumour.

Apple is eating itself. They're making too many models of things. This is exactly opposite of what Stevy wanted.
So how do you know that this isn't going to replace both the current MacBook Air models?

As others have said, it could possibly be made the same physical size as the 11" MBA by shrinking the bezel. With a Retina display, in 'scaled' mode, it could offer comparable screen "real estate" to the current 13" MBA. So it could easily replace both.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple is eating itself. They're making too many models of things. This is exactly opposite of what Stevy wanted.
they're the most profitable and successful tech company in history. totally doomed.

anyway, if this *rumor* is even true! what makes you think they won't eliminate existing products. remember what happened to the 17" MBP? ain't dere no mo.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
1TB of SSD is now ~$600 retail - give it a year or so and add Apple's buying power and it will soon be affordable. Also, once you've experienced the speed of a SSD-based machine you'll happily pay a bit extra.

I swapped out the optical bay in my MBP for a second HD ~10 months ago, and have never looked back (and once 1TB SSDs become available, scratch the second HD). More and more people have just stopped using optical disks.

I only need 1GB Ethernet at home where I actually have a 1GB network to plug in to. Elsewhere, WiFi does the trick, and it's getting faster.

FW800 is now 'legacy' technology, replaced by USB3 - yes, I still use it, but that's what adapters are for.

At worst: you can optionally carry an external optical drive, ethernet dongle & Firewire dongle if you're likely to need one - rather than being forced to lug all that hardware around as part of your laptop.

The main pity is that Thunderbolt docking stations - which knock the connection issue on the head - have been so slow to appear & overpriced.

Maybe you can't give up your MBP Classic just yet - but the need for all those ports and drives is going away.

Calm down - it's only a rumour.

So how do you know that this isn't going to replace both the current MacBook Air models?

As others have said, it could possibly be made the same physical size as the 11" MBA by shrinking the bezel. With a Retina display, in 'scaled' mode, it could offer comparable screen "real estate" to the current 13" MBA. So it could easily replace both.
Hey, I'm TOTALLY calm. Just having fun speculating. I don't get hot and bothered about such stuff.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

That's the first I thought of: the size of a 11" MBA, more resolution than a 13"? What's the point of either of those models (unless the 11" got cheaper), and if anything it adds some un-Apple-like confusion at retail ("This is the 13", is has less on the screen than this smaller machine and it's cheaper, even though it's bigger, and this machine is the same size, but the screen is smaller..." :eek: )

New rMBA in 12", redesign the rMBP to 14" and 16", all Pros have discrete graphics, Airs have integrated. Done.

:cool:

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Exciting but Haswell retinas have to come out soon so this is going to be an odd product step especially as the new air has just come out but i suppose next year could be time for retirement of the air brand as all macbook laptops are now super thin there is no need for the moniker anymore.

I think the future line up will be as follows or even just three of the following

10 inch macbook
12 inch macbook
13/14 inch macbookpro
15/16 inch macbookpro

With current mac models they all have room for a larger screen in the same or smaller body, and it would be lovely to see a simpler line up of their offerings.
Yes but if the Air 12 will be retina then MacBook Pro 13 would need to differentiate at least with a quad core.

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
How-are-you-Ken?

The other thing is that USB cables always have different plugs at both ends to illustrate that USB is always a master-slave situations, ie, you cannot connect two computers via USB (which would be possible mechanically if there were cables with two USB-A plugs) or connect two hard drives to each other (via a two USB mini plugs cable). Using Lightning would break that convention.
Good point, I hadn't even considered that, and I guess there could be some major problems if you plugged something giving out voltages into something else giving out voltages.

Like Super Voltage Fighter II Championship Edition

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Apple really needs to simplify their line-up:

12" Retina MacBook Air
13" Retina MacBook Pro
15" Retina MacBook Pro
I'd prefer to see it as:

12" Retina MacBook Air
14" Retina MacBook Air
14/15" Retina MacBook Pro
17" Retina MacBook Pro

All "retina", all current gen Intel procs (Haswell for now), with the Pro's as thin as the current 13" Air (ok, thicker on 17") still w/o optical drive, but beefier processor, user-replaceable RAM and SSD. And for the Maglock 2 connector cable to run parallel to the system again (wtf were they thinking changing it back to perpendicular?)

Edit: Add 10Gb ethernet on the Pro's as well. Wireless 802.11ac should be obvious.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I hate to say it but between the iMac and now the macbook, apple is turning me off with all this need to be the thinnist out there, it gets to the point where it starts hampering performance, it does'nt always have to be the thinnist
Please provide concrete proof to backup your assertion that 'thinness' is hampering performance.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Maybe someday Apple will drop both "Air" and "Pro", just offering a 12" and 15" MacBook with retina display standard. Another possibility could be a MacBook/iPad hybrid with touchscreen which sounds plausible based on the rumor of a larger 12" iPad and now this rumor of a new ultra-slim 12" MacBook.
iOS in laptop would be a mistake.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Xiroteus wrote:

"Even if there was the tech to make a computer as thin as a book cover does not make it a good idea, for a tablet, maybe. Just not at the expensive of power. Ports will also be needed."

This is so important, especially these days! I agree with you. Both battery life and lack of ports can be a result of the unnecessary and crazy thinness race in this business. And also a cooling problem can easily be the result, with fan noise. This must not happen!
Maybe Apple is aiming for a fanless Macbook?
However I concur about the necessity of ports, and those will always have a certain thickness.

Speaking of the 12" Macbook (Air), I think Apple might dump the 11" and 13" in favor of this 12" one. Maybe Apple wants to push 11"-people towards iPads (aren't there rumors about a bigger iPad in the works?) and 13"-people towards Macbook Pro.

-12" Macbook Air
-13" Macbook Pro
-15" Macbook Pro

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
How about this + 17" rMBP, and get rid of the cMBPs and 13" rMBP
I'd buy a quad-core 13" rMBP with discrete graphics and support for up to 32GB of RAM. Actually the 15" rMBP has too much resolution than I need. I prefer the lighter and smaller 13" rMBP form factor.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Please provide concrete proof to backup your assertion that 'thinness' is hampering performance.
I think he wants to says that the iMacs could be better or more powerful if "thinking thin" wasn't as hyped. I leave it to the people to discuss about the fact an iMac is underpowered (I say not) but I do concur about Apple's quest to be the thinnist. Especially the iMac, the new design is just UGLY. By making the edges so thin, you are not only creating a lie (some would say 'illusion', but in terms of industrial design it's just a lie), you also get an ugly bulge. The current iMac is just ugly from it's sides.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If they're planning to merge the 11" & 13" MBAs into one 12" model, then it would make sense to also upgrade the MBPs to 14" and 16".

I had wondered if they might do something a little different:

12" MBA to take on the ultrabooks
14" MB in plastic in a range of colours to match the iPhone 5c for students
16" MBP for pro users

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I wish they would name their product lines more consistently:

iPod mini (currently iPod shuffle), iPod (currently iPod nano), iPod Pro (currently iPod touch)

iPhone mini (smaller iPhone 4S form factor), iPhone (currently iPhone 5C), iPhone Pro (larger form factor, more productivity features)

iPad mini, iPad, iPad Pro (larger form factor, more productivity features)

Mac Mini, Mac (currently iMac), Mac Pro

MacBook Mini (11 inch notebook), MacBook (13 inch), MacBook Pro (15 inch)

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
i just picked up a 2013 MBA but will make the move to this rumored MBA if the battery life is awesome like this one. I'd much prefer more screen within this 13" body.