Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
They didn’t learn the mistake trying to sell gold Apple Watch. I don’t care how cool you think your **** is. You can’t price it for multimillionaires and expect to sell many of them.
Perhaps it was marketing to give it a "luxury" touch. But IMO you can't compare a watch to a big and heavy device strapped to your head. Powered by an old chip ;)

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Perhaps it was marketing to give it a "luxury" touch. But IMO you can't compare a watch to a big and heavy device strapped to your head. Powered by an old chip ;)

Obviously not.

As I pointed out earlier, MacRumors reported on this. Ive conceived the Apple Watch Edition to compete with Rolex and JLC and Panerai and Vacheron Constantin. Watches that can and do routinely sell for north of $100,000.00. He thought that luxury watch collectors would want to add it to their collection. That’s why he was SO adamant about the “Digital Crown.” He knew at least to some degree that collectors of high end watches are into horology. They want a watch to have some unique horological value. Ive thought making the crown “digital” would be that thing. But he was wrong. Watch collectors had zero interest in Apple Watch because it lacks any kind of real horological value. The Digital Crown isn’t an innovation in the field of time keeping. It’s a gimmicky digital input method. It could be on anything and bears no real relationship to wrist watches. Furthermore Apple Watch isn’t mechanical and it isn’t even what collectors term a “high accuracy quartz.” Instead it’s just a little bitty iPhone on your wrist. They don’t want that.

And on Vision: wrist watches have been wildly popular since they were invented in World War One. People globally have been wearing wrist watches their entire lives for generations. It isn’t a big ask to sell a wrist watch to someone. They understand and accept that form factor. Goggles are a completely different thing. Goggles are not accepted, do not have several generations of global usage behind them and are generally uncomfortable to wear. Not to mention that they make people look like tech dorks. An Apple Watch doesn’t make you look like a tech dork.

Last edited:

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Beyond the obvious - that fancy watches are primarily jewellery and that established branding/brand history plays an important role (to most people THE most important one perhaps?) there's also the expectation that they keep on trucking through the decades as well as retain their (resale) value.

No chance of that with a gadget that is linked to a certain type of phone but becomes software-incompatible with newer OS releases and ships with a non-removable custom battery. Also probably not repairable a decade or two from release due to all the production methods for the chip tech having changed/been updated. Who's gonna keep a production line of 2014 chip tech around just so they're not running out of parts?

That's so different to what the producers of mechanical watches do.

Personally as a watch guy I'd also not want anything with a watch face/display that isn't permanently visible. For jewellery I'm not strapping a glossy black rectangle to my wrist that I have to wake up to see anything moving and that requires frequent charging and firmware updates. Capital-F that, in fact. :)

A mini phone on my wrist - that could indeed be nice. But strictly as a gadget, nothing more. Agree that goggles aren't a good comparison - they make you look silly and even mess up your hair. ;) Not quite a chance to become a status symbol like a typical Apple gadget until they start to resemble Ray-Bans.

jeffbbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
The sales gonna be ****. People internationally, who really to get, have already had. Gonna be a bad sale for Apple.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
in a tablet?

not seen another tablet advertise that as a feature.

it's just a selling point of difference no doubt. but a very nice one no doubt.
this is about creating a high tech, bleeding edge device far ahead of any competitor.
do they expect to sell many? maybe not.
but then the more expensive phones have sold better than the mid-range ones.
people work out what they value.
the M4 chip is to show how superior Apple in house chip design is. churning them out at a fast pace.
and the reason isnt to get them in customer hands only.
these chips will power Apple AI servers (along with the fast M2 chips) and Apple has long talked about AI stuff.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
At least you said sorry in advance. They are nothing like the same.
So this is nothing like the same?

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I think what hype this product once had has already died out.

I don't think so. I think it's a bit expensive, so it's for early adopters and developers at the moment.

We have one and it's amazing, but it's a bit crippled without USA app access. It's really immersive amazing tech.

Best use for me in Canada right now? It's looking at old panoramas taken over the last dozen years I guess. Really amazing. Or taking 3D content with the goggles. It's so real it's a bit unsettling.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Maybe early adopters and developers are the ones buying it but Apple didn’t intend that to be the market for it. They market it as a consumer product.

Yes, but it's also early for the AppleVision product - AND it costs a lot.

It also is a matter of "seeing is believing" - so if you do a demo I think you'll be impressed by the experience of it.

Look back to the original iPhone in 2007. Did you buy one then? I did, but they really didn't sell so many of them - it took a few years to get the numbers going, and now the numbers are incredible.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Monkey

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I want a Mac Pro Extreme and I want macOS to add Blu-ray playback support.

Not joking.

I want to be able to watch movies without internet and buy stuff I can own that isn’t even available in streaming and never will be because of regions and distribution deals.

The promise that we will be able to legally stream any and every movie is dead. It never happened and never will. So please add support for Blu-ray.

I prefer physical media too, but why would apple add support for something that’s already almost completely phased out? there are hardly any stores left selling blu-ray and dvds anymore, if any at all.

• Disagree

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
You can’t price it for multimillionaires and expect to sell many of them.

True. Especially if you expect and plan to render the device obsolete within 2-3 years as apple does, which was indeed the case of the infamous gold apple watch.

Reactions: jlnr

PracticalMatters

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2023

Apple will soon begin selling the Vision Pro in additional markets outside the U.S., according to Bloomberg, and Mark Gurman today reports that the United Kingdom and Canada are included in the list of countries where the headset is next set to launch.

Apple-Vision-Pro-at-Steve-Jobs-Theater.jpeg

Gurman's update corroborates the exact same list of countries for the next Vision Pro launches that MacRumors revealed back in March. They include:
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • UK
Apple has not announced a launch date for the Vision Pro in these countries, but it is expected to happen after the Worldwide Developers Conference, which is set to take place from June 10 to June 14.

To prepare for the multi-region launch, hundreds of employees from international retail stores have been flying into Cupertino for multi-day Vision Pro training sessions, according to Bloomberg.

Interest in the Vision Pro in the U.S. has waned in the months since its launch, leading Apple to reportedly reduce shipments. While international sales may revive enthusiasm for the device, the $3,500 USD price tag remains a significant barrier. Pricing for other countries has yet to be announced.

Article Link: Apple Prepares to Launch Vision Pro in UK, Canada, and Other Countries
Honestly, I rarely use mine anymore. The weight is unbearable and the few interesting visuals developed for marketing have run their course. Guessing I’ll take a huge hit when I try to resell it on eBay…

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I pass. I was quite excited when it was first announced, but I still don't see any use case for me. Same with Meta devices. Its collecting dust.

Same. Haven't charged it in months or bothered to even update it. Probably need to throw it on eBay. Apple's lack of development on the OS hampered it for me.

They can't even roll out new environments.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes, but it's also early for the AppleVision product - AND it costs a lot.

It also is a matter of "seeing is believing" - so if you do a demo I think you'll be impressed by the experience of it.

Look back to the original iPhone in 2007. Did you buy one then? I did, but they really didn't sell so many of them - it took a few years to get the numbers going, and now the numbers are incredible.
The original iPhone was a bit more affordable than AVP though and a product similar to what millions were using or starting to use as an everyday device. The problem with AVP is its a product that doesn't really replace anything or provide a definite use case for a wider audience. You've also got the aspect of not everybody wanting to wear a device on their face.

It'll take a few years and a 70% decrease in price if you want people to take a punt on this type of product.

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Getting this in the hands of more developers can only be good for a device that badly needs more content.
Just stop being so positive & give up the ghost
It’s failed Apple’s AR/VR experiment has gone south after just a couple of months after just 1 country launch
Just look at the amount that’s for sale second hand at cheaper the price.

Reactions: jlnr

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Maybe early adopters and developers are the ones buying it but Apple didn’t intend that to be the market for it. They market it as a consumer product.

Similar could be said about early Apple computers including the Macintosh. They were marketed as consumer products but didn't start selling in large numbers until years later.

• Disagree

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
The original iPhone was a bit more affordable than AVP though and a product similar to what millions were using or starting to use as an everyday device. The problem with AVP is its a product that doesn't really replace anything or provide a definite use case for a wider audience. You've also got the aspect of not everybody wanting to wear a device on their face.

It'll take a few years and a 70% decrease in price if you want people to take a punt on this type of product.

Yes, exactly.

Cheaper price will help a lot, but even then - it's like having the iPhone without the App Store in 2007. You had to jailbreak your iPhone and put Cydia on it and then you had access to apps.

Someone in this thread mentions that Apple hasn't even given AVP users new eye candy environments to enjoy! So Apple would be needing to show some love for their own product. I mean I would assume they will be doing that. They have something great here with the AVP - but if Apple has truly lost their way, then it opens the doors for others to play some catch up on the hardware and swoop way ahead of Apple on the software.

I have no idea what will really happen, but I mainly am saying that the product is very cool albeit pricey, and this is completely normal for new product lines like this one. I put more weight on opinions given from people who own one and yah I see a few here in this thread, and they may be right. I am in Canada, so what I have is much WORSE than owning one with a USA Apple account at the moment, but I remain positive and excited for the future.

PS - I think there are a lot of people thinking that AVP is supposed to be worn while you walk around downtown kind of thing - I'd say that is off the mark :). You'll use it mainly in a stationary position - repairing an engine or assembling a lego set, or operating on a patient, or watching a movie, or using 5 Giant monitors while doing Photoshop and other stuff all at once with CNBC playing all day too.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Someone in this thread mentions that Apple hasn't even given AVP users new eye candy environments to enjoy! So Apple would be needing to show some love for their own product. I mean I would assume they will be doing that. They have something great here with the AVP - but if Apple has truly lost their way, then it opens the doors for others to play some catch up on the hardware and swoop way ahead of Apple on the software.
Apple have a history of launching products and taking months and sometimes years to release what they promise. The Apple Watch is one example where users became frustrated early on at the lack of watch face designs. Look at the HomePod where it was late, half baked because it restricted users to Apple only services and the device was about £250 too expensive. Although it still exists, it’s never competed with Google and Amazon equivalents for uptake. I couldn’t imagine spending 4 grand on an AR headset, only to be frustrated at the speed of updates and content. There are already those frustrations and yet they are about to launch to a wider market.

People want products to be released with lots of content and to be getting their monies worth from the off, not beta test and have a taster of the future whilst footing the development cost through high retail markups.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple have a history of launching products and taking months and sometimes years to release what they promise. The Apple Watch is one example where users became frustrated early on at the lack of watch face designs. Look at the HomePod where it was late, half baked because it restricted users to Apple only services and the device was about £250 too expensive. Although it still exists, it’s never competed with Google and Amazon equivalents for uptake. I couldn’t imagine spending 4 grand on an AR headset, only to be frustrated at the speed of updates and content. There are already those frustrations and yet they are about to launch to a wider market.

People want products to be released with lots of content and to be getting their monies worth from the off, not beta test and have a taster of the future whilst footing the development cost through high retail markups.

I am one of those people who are ok with them taking my money away so I can get a peek at the very nice super high resolution 3D immersion.

I am using it ONLY for looking at 3D "panoramas" - and it's actually like a bit of a Time Machine for me. I am very pleased that I took so many panorama shots over the last dozen years or so. The immersion is really great. For me that alone is worth the price. It's a $7000.00 (Canadian dollar) "Viewmaster". And if you do not know what a "Viewmaster" is - it means you are not old enough to have these dollars. :)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I am one of those people who are ok with them taking my money away so I can get a peek at the very nice super high resolution 3D immersion.

I am using it ONLY for looking at 3D "panoramas" - and it's actually like a bit of a Time Machine for me. I am very pleased that I took so many panorama shots over the last dozen years or so. The immersion is really great. For me that alone is worth the price. It's a $7000.00 (Canadian dollar) "Viewmaster". And if you do not know what a "Viewmaster" is - it means you are not old enough to have these dollars. :)

If you’ve got a use for it and can justify it, enjoy.

It’s unlikely to ever be on my shopping list to be honest, there’s other things I enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.