Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1194

We have it on good authority (meaning this is a rumor, and “good authority” could mean anything) that Apple is ready to drop its final update to yesterday’s OS, aka “Tiger”. That’s right. 10.4.12 is allegedly ready to roll, and will spring forth in less than 2 weeks or so. We don’t have any details aside from “numerous bug fixes and security updates” at this point, but we’ll let you know if we hear anything else

What do you think? Do you think that it's possible?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Preparing 10.4.12 Update For Tiger?

Macenstein percolates a rumor that Apple is preparing a final update to Mac OS 10.4 "Tiger", bringing the system version to 10.4.12.

We have it on good authority (meaning this is a rumor, and “good authority” could mean anything) that Apple is ready to drop its final update to yesterday’s OS, aka “Tiger”. That’s right. 10.4.12 is allegedly ready to roll, and will spring forth in the next couple weeks or so.

The site claims to not have specifics beyond "numerous bug fixes and security enhancements". It should be noted that there have yet to be any leaks regarding 10.4.12 development from traditionally reliable sources, which may shed some doubt upon the claims.

Apple released Mac OS 10.4.11 in November.

Article Link

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I agree, and this seems like just a basic update to security and bug fixes.... nothing special. And with the way people are pickup up Leopard and the overall stability of Tiger I don't think it's too big a deal.

Besides... it's still just a rumor.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd rather they worked more on 10.5.3.

Security related issues can be done in a wee update, not another 10.4.x increment.

HaGG

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
I can see it happening but I doubt it will be anything big, just minor things.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd rather they worked on both, I'm still running 10.4.11 until I'm completely happy with the upgrades to Leo.

Well, concentrating on 10.5.3 would be better for you then wouldn't it? There isn't really any issues with Tiger. 10.4.11 is extremely stable.

Focusing on Leopard's problems would mean you would be able to upgrade sooner as more bugs would be ironed out.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
wow. i would really be surprised if this does happen. i guess it could be good and/or bad. i mean, good that they are helping those on Tiger, but bad in a sense that they could be getting those to upgrade to Leopard

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Well, concentrating on 10.5.3 would be better for you then wouldn't it? There isn't really any issues with Tiger. 10.4.11 is extremely stable.

Focusing on Leopard's problems would mean you would be able to upgrade sooner as more bugs would be ironed out.

I guess I want the best of both. If they could throw me one last update to Tiger before I go to a more stable Leo, I'll take it! LOL

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its good that Apple keep working on a prior version of OSX, shows good customer service.

Tiger is rock solid, but unfortunately the same can't be said about Leopard, yet.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I'll put all my chips on "No Way"...

Apple reps wouldn't even switch out DVD Tiger Install discs for my friend at a school one week before Leopard was released and was told that Tiger was no longer being supported by sales.

Why would they bring out 10.4.12 anyways? There's really nothing more that could be fixed and it is time for those that can switch to Leopard to do so.

10.5.2 is actually pretty bug free when compared to 10.4.2.

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
...There's really nothing more that could be fixed and it is time for those that can switch to Leopard to do so.

10.5.2 is actually pretty bug free when compared to 10.4.2.

There's always something to be fixed.
And maybe it's time for Panther users to upgrade to Tiger...LOL

"Pretty bug free" is not an option for some of us, including me. If I wanted pretty bug free, I'd be happy with Vista. :D

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Tiger will be supported for at least a year from the release of Leopard. I do not see why 10.4.12 would not be coming out.

Heck it may get to 13 before it is all over and even then you may still see security fixes.

Wow. People are still using Tiger. Why?! Haven't they heard of Leopard? 10.5.2!!

There are still some users in Panther, no many but there are some.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My mom and dad are on my old mini running Panther. It's light, lean, and does what they need it to do.. web browsing, iTunes, and Solitaire. No one uses spotlight or dashboard, so why should I go through the hassle of buying Tiger (or Leopard now), upgrading the RAM to handle it, and fixing any issues they'll inadvertibly have?

Panther FTW.

Plus, I like being able to tell my Windows using friends that I've had the same OS install for the past 3 years of whatever it is now

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
I can't honestly think of anything Apple still needs to fix with Tiger, unless it's something that I have no chance of ever getting involved in, which is likely, now that I think of it. The only problems I've got right now are with iTunes, and I doubt that the updating the operating system is going to fix iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.