Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Wow. People are still using Tiger. Why?! Haven't they heard of Leopard? 10.5.2!!

1. If its being used in a corporate environment
2. Tiger is good enough, why bother with Leopard
3. Don't have a capable machine
4. Don't see the point in upgrading / not interested
5. Isn't compatible with some software a person may be using
6. Perceive Leopard not being stable enough ( also see point 1 )

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Were there any small updates after 10.4.11? If so, they could be rolling up smaller updates into a single update for people that are sticking with Tiger. Kind of like how SP3 for XP rolls up the 100+ updates that came out after SP2.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
As unlikely as this is but if is true, I wish Apple would have done the same with 10.3 after 10.3.9. Panther was desperately in need of updates but Apple moved on to 10.4 and they should do exactly that with 10.5 at this point.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm still running 10.4.11 on my main system and will most likely continue to do so till some issues have been addressed in Leopard. FWIW i still prefer Tiger to Leopard and would actually have downgraded my BlackBook to Tiger if it were possible. I'd welcome a 10.4.12 update with open arms.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
I'm still running 10.4.11 on my main system and will most likely continue to do so till some issues have been addressed in Leopard. FWIW i still prefer Tiger to Leopard and would actually have downgraded my BlackBook to Tiger if it were possible. I'd welcome a 10.4.12 update with open arms.

Same here. I have a new Macbook with Leopard but wish I could install Tiger 10.4 on it. My main machine (iMac G5) has Tiger installed and everything is rock solid and working great in 10.4.11. Also....I don't have the $$ to replace/upgrade all the software that I use that is NOT compatible with Leopard. People seem to forget, that upgrading to Leopard is much more than the cost of the $129 Leopard disc. And the idiot that said this..... "Wow. People are still using Tiger. Why?! Haven't they heard of Leopard? 10.5.2!!' .....this person must be on crack. Hello anybody home?

ShadowMind

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Washington State
Wow. People are still using Tiger. Why?! Haven't they heard of Leopard? 10.5.2!!

I run Leopard on my MacBook. I choose to run Tiger on my eMac for the simple reason that I cannot afford to upgrade Photoshop right now. Furthermore, I have not been satisfied with Leopard overall. Safari crashes daily, my internet settings are a pain in the butt to use (with more crashing), and the four months of waiting in order to get an opaque menu bar were not pleasant. I would welcome updates to Tiger as well as Leopard.

And Panther? My mother still runs that on her iBook. As soon as I can get my hands on her computer, I will upgrade the RAM, install Leopard, and giver her a whole new Mac experience.

Zygon Gambit

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
England
Tiger will be used for ages. In my house we have an eMac and an iBook both running Tiger. If I get a new computer it'll have 10.5 on it, but I don't see the need to upgrade the old systems. What would be the point?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Well, I do hope that Apple continues to put effort in updating Tiger. It was always strange that before Tiger, Apple always stopped releasing major updates for the previous OS once a new one is released, like Panther received 10.3.9 just before 10.4 shipped and has only received smaller security updates since. I was happy that Apple decided to released 10.4.11 after 10.5 shipped and it would be nice to for them to continue to release major updates to 10.4 for the next year just like how Windows 2000 continued to receive service packs after XP shipped and XP will receive SP3 soon.

Anyways, I think the motivation for a 10.4.12 isn't just for security updates and small bug fixes, but to introduce support for new products. Like how 10.4.10 was released 9 days before the iPhone shipped and was part of the iPhone's system requirements. Seeing that there don't seem to have been developer seeds of 10.4.12 yet, it isn't likely to be released until later this year, which might mean that it will add support for the 3G iPhone 2.0 or perhaps syncing with a Mac tablet.

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Me thinks that Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time.

That's pretty much what I've been saying. Why not get the best of both at the same time! They owe us for that "pulling resources from OS development to work on iPhone" stunt last year.

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Why would they? That would be a complete waste of money. They do not need powerful computers.

I would think they would use the current models. Maybe and IMac if not a Mac Pro. A company pushing new technology and not using the latest technology themselves? Or perhaps the G4 towers look better than the Mac Pros? I can't quite figure it out. I would ask them, but I would have to sign-up for an appointment to ask the question and I don't want to wait several hours or come back the next day or 2.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I wouldn't mind another update to Tiger at all. Tiger is still a great OS, and gods know the only way Leopard is making it on to my organization's network right now is with new equipment. I won't even consider updating the rest of the workstations with Leopard for at least another 4-6 months.

Although it's also good news, if true, for the folks with non-Leopard spec machines. I've got my own version of a MacBook Air (an old iBook G3/600) running Tiger, and there's nothing wrong with it for what I use it for - portable Web surfing, email and Word. Tiger runs fast and fairly lean on it, and I see no need to get a new laptop for such mundane purposes.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
This would be welcome. There are still a few bugs in Tiger to be fumigated.

It'll be a while before I adopt the still infant Leopard--in the fall when I get an MBP. In the mean time, I'm not at all interested in being a beta tester for Apple.

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
I can't believe there are still complainers about leopard

Anyone in software development knows that it is almost impossible to work out all of the bugs until the software is released. There are so many unforeseen variables that don't show up until it is actually used.

Yes I am happy they are making minor improvement to stability in Tiger (assuming rumor is true). I still use Tiger. I am also very happy with Leopard, yes there are still bugs but minor. But if they tried to work EVERY bug out before release, we would be still waiting for 10.5. And believe me there would be bugs that popped up they didn't know about.

Geeze, you guys need to calm down. It is not like you are waiting for 3.5" floppies with updates on them ;)

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
I can't believe there are still complainers about leopard

Anyone in software development knows that it is almost impossible to work out all of the bugs until the software is released. There are so many unforeseen variables that don't show up until it is actually used.

Yes I am happy they are making minor improvement to stability in Tiger (assuming rumor is true). I still use Tiger. I am also very happy with Leopard, yes there are still bugs but minor. But if they tried to work EVERY bug out before release, we would be still waiting for 10.5. And believe me there would be bugs that popped up they didn't know about.

Geeze, you guys need to calm down. It is not like you are waiting for 3.5" floppies with updates on them ;)

So then the complaints against Microsoft and each new version of Windows that comes out is unjustified?

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I'll put all my chips on "No Way"...

Apple reps wouldn't even switch out DVD Tiger Install discs for my friend at a school one week before Leopard was released and was told that Tiger was no longer being supported by sales.

Why would they bring out 10.4.12 anyways? There's really nothing more that could be fixed and it is time for those that can switch to Leopard to do so.

10.5.2 is actually pretty bug free when compared to 10.4.2.

I bet there are a ton of audio video and other professional types, that have not upgraded from tiger. I can't think of a reason why I should hurry, tiger is great for work, if it ain't broke why fix it?:)

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Tiger will be supported for at least a year from the release of Leopard. I do not see why 10.4.12 would not be coming out.

Heck it may get to 13 before it is all over and even then you may still see security fixes.

10.4.11 is only time Apple released an update of an earlier version of OS X once the newer version was already out. It seems highly unlikely they will put resources into any more updates to 10.4 unless there is a significant bug to fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.