Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodygard

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
The Fulbrights have used the proceeds of the sale to purchase a 4,200-square-foot house on a 49-acre property.

They should´ve gotten some Apple Stock.

Hehe nah they did well. Real estate is always a safe value! anything that's virtual these days (stocks etc) is risky...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

prostuff1 said:
Good for them on getting that much for there property but... It sort of upsets me that they went and bought a 4,200 sq. ft. house. I don't know them so am making assumptions and could be very wrong but I am guessing that they did not need to buy that large of a house on that many acre. A 34 year old house is not likely to have been very extravagant and they managed just fine with that one.

Seriously, invest the money, fix up your home town, donate a million to a charity, something other than spend it all on a house.

What is it to you what they do with their money? Would you appreciate it if strangers on the Internet decided that your spending choices were unacceptable?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I hope you realize (it was even indicated) that the post was SATIRE. The poster was obviously referencing the whole "debate" over intellectual property (all the patent lawsuits). A poster there made the argument that if no one uses their patents for 2 years they should lose the right to have the patent. This poster was adjusting the reply to fit this scenario.

Well, the difference between patents on one side and copyright or land ownership on the other side is that copyright and land ownership stop me from stealing _your_ property, they don't stop me from writing similar software, and they wouldn't have stopped Apple from building their data centre somewhere else.

Patents do just that: They give the patent holder rights even when someone else re-invents the same thing and doesn't even know about the patents. And especially with software patents, the actual value in a software patent when measured in development time saved by the licensor is usually zero. Below zero if you take into account that people have to spend time making sure something they just developed is not patented by someone. The only value in patents is their value as a blackmail tool or as a tool to stop competitors. The benefits of software patents for the society are less than zero.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

gnasher729 said:
I hope you realize (it was even indicated) that the post was SATIRE. The poster was obviously referencing the whole "debate" over intellectual property (all the patent lawsuits). A poster there made the argument that if no one uses their patents for 2 years they should lose the right to have the patent. This poster was adjusting the reply to fit this scenario.

Well, the difference between patents on one side and copyright or land ownership on the other side is that copyright and land ownership stop me from stealing _your_ property, they don't stop me from writing similar software, and they wouldn't have stopped Apple from building their data centre somewhere else.

Patents do just that: They give the patent holder rights even when someone else re-invents the same thing and doesn't even know about the patents. And especially with software patents, the actual value in a software patent when measured in development time saved by the licensor is usually zero. Below zero if you take into account that people have to spend time making sure something they just developed is not patented by someone. The only value in patents is their value as a blackmail tool or as a tool to stop competitors. The benefits of software patents for the society are less than zero.

The other problem with the original satire is that this couple of course did develop the land - they had a house there.

I realize it was just satire, but it was too far off the mark to NE particularly funny.

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
It took several offers from Apple for the Fulbrights to consider moving. "They told us to put a price on it and we did," Kathy Fulbright told Bloomberg. Using the funds from the sale, the Fulbrights purchased a 49-acre piece of land with a 4,200-square-foot-house and a Jacuzzi, the report noted.

so they spent most of it on a ridiculous house? another american idiot that can't manage money.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I hope the couple accounted for how much they'll be paying in property taxes for their new home. It would suck if they're unable to pay the property taxes because they used up all the money, and end up losing everything. They should have bought something more reasonably sized and kept the rest of the money in a bank for taxes and a rainy day.

anyone who should suggest that eminent domain should be used to take away someone's home so some rich developer can have it , is a royal piece of garbage.

I mostly agree. But what if this couple refused at even the 1500% markup they were offered. What if they saw that the company is apple and wants to build a billion dollar data center and thus refused to sell for even a penny under 17 millon for their 170,000 home? And apple said, no deal.

Should NC be okay with losing out on 10s of thousands of jobs in their state because of this?

If you guys don't care about the jobs, would you guys be okay with OTA iTunes and Cloud and all the upgrades getting delayed by an year or two as a result.

I think imminent domain sometimes makes sense.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I love it when people say they need to use eminent domain, cause they will LOSE tax money. they arent losing anything, they are trying to make more!

Nothing worse than someone who is so greedy, that they are willing to step on someone, who is trying to live out their life in the home they worked for, for an mount of money which would only add a fraction to their bank account.

If some state wants to help apple build a data center so they can get more taxes, then they need to plan ahead more. there is tons of land in NC where no one lives.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Up in San Jose near where Apple is located prices are a little higher. I'd bet many or even most Apple Engineers or execs have houses valued at either side of 1M.
Yeah, a million bucks might buy you a 4-bedroom house on a quarter-acre lot in Cupertino. The Cupertino school district is probably worth $150K.

:D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It took several offers from Apple for the Fulbrights to consider moving. "They told us to put a price on it and we did," Kathy Fulbright told Bloomberg. Using the funds from the sale, the Fulbrights purchased a 49-acre piece of land with a 4,200-square-foot-house and a Jacuzzi, the report noted.

so they spent most of it on a ridiculous house? another american idiot that can't manage money.

You don't actually know how big 4200 sf is, do you? It's not that big. My parents' house approaches that, and it's just a rambler with a couple added bedrooms in back. I'm sure the Fulbrights have a nicer house, now, but it's not like a mansion in the Hamptons at 25000 sf.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
What is coming in 2011 as a result of this datacenter:

1. Ability to purchase movies returns to the Apple TV via streaming. For example you buy a movie and rather than download it Apple will simply stream it any time as often as you want to your Apple TV or any other Apple device including iPad and iPhone.

2. Same as above for music.

3. Full iPhone/iPad backup and sync via the cloud in real time will come to iOS 5.0 making any sync with a computer unnecessary.

These are obvious but the sky is the limit.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple paid $1.7 million for land that is worth less than $200,000? Couldn't they have found other land that was much cheaper? I'm sure the town of Maiden has plenty available. What was so special about this particular tract?

It was on the primary corner of their data center property right between their main two driveways.

It woulda been kinda funny to have a residence there for years to come, but I suspect they would have become annoyed with the truck traffic and became complainers. This solves it. Maybe Steve will put a tofu bar on the corner there now?

Rocketman

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I hope this couple isn't relying solely on their windfall from Apple to keep their new home and property going. They need to figure in property taxes that they to pay while they own the place. And how much of that $1.7 million will actually go to them after taxes? Not a very smart move to blow all that cash.

I would've asked Apple for $1.7 million in shares and watch that baby double, even triple in less than 5 years. Look how successful the iPad is and AppleTV will be... Just a "hobby", right, Steve? Yeah right... Prepare for Apple to take over your digital life...

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Maybe Steve will put a tofu bar on the corner there now?

I've seen the blueprints for the site and noticed an interesting label over that area. I'm not sure what it means, but it says: SJ F35 LANDING ZONE.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
1.7M + two free iPhones every time a new model comes out!

Exactly!

I've had enough of these real estate squatters and land trolls. I think if someone owns a piece of valuable land and doesn't develop it within 2 years, they should lose the rights to that land. It's ridiculous for Apple and others to have to pay these ransoms.

/satire ;)

Most excellent reply.

On the flip side, these people probably dont know what to do with this amount of money. i bet they blow through it, and one day will not have anything left but some high property tax bill they cant afford.

If they have a high property tax bill it means they have highly valued property. They would then need to sell but wouldn't be hurting for money.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
It sort of upsets me that they went and bought a 4,200 sq. ft. house.

1) its totally nuts that some random people that have lived in a modest home their entire lives buying a not-that-huge house in their golden years bothers you.

2) how do you know they paid cash? how do we know they didnt just make a down payment and have a doable mortgage?

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
1) its totally nuts that some random people that have lived in a modest home their entire lives buying a not-that-huge house in their golden years bothers you.

I happen to agree with him. I also think they should have bought something bigger. :)

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
You're not getting it. They could have spent it all and tripled or even quadrupled their value.

or not.

They're greedy, but not that smart.

greedy? for staying in the same home for decades and not leaving it the moment theyre asked to? uh yeah, nice logic buddy.

and youve met them and assessed their intelligence? no? oh.

I mostly agree. But what if this couple refused at even the 1500% markup they were offered. What if they saw that the company is apple and wants to build a billion dollar data center and thus refused to sell for even a penny under 17 millon for their 170,000 home?
Should NC be okay with losing out on 10s of thousands of jobs in their state because of this?

of course they should, because this is america and the couple OWNED the property. they dont HAVE to sell it to any company, no matter how attractive that company is. thats called freedom.

I think imminent domain sometimes makes sense.

you scare me.

I love it when people say they need to use eminent domain, cause they will LOSE tax money. they arent losing anything, they are trying to make more! ... If some state wants to help apple build a data center so they can get more taxes, then they need to plan ahead more. there is tons of land in NC where no one lives.

awesome post, dude.

pistolero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
.. Apple didn't run to the govt. and have the couple's home seized under "eminent domain", claiming they were obstructing an important project that would bring in needed jobs and tax revenue to all the locals!

That seems to be the new "standard" for robbing people of their property rights these days ....

It is now allowed by the conservative supreme court. Eminent domain can be used for private development.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
You don't actually know how big 4200 sf is, do you? It's not that big. My parents' house approaches that, and it's just a rambler with a couple added bedrooms in back. I'm sure the Fulbrights have a nicer house, now, but it's not like a mansion in the Hamptons at 25000 sf.

If your parents house approches 4,200 sq. ft. then that is large house. All houses i have grown up in have been ranch style and if you include the basements was always less than 3,500 sq .ft.

I just bought my first house and it is 1,700 sq. ft. and it is large enough for a family of 4. I have one room mate living with me now and I have almost no furniture in the living room as I don't own enough stuff yet.

I guess our ideas of huge differ a little bit. I consider anything over the 3,500 sq. ft. mark to be huge, but i am use to growing up in decent sized ranch style houses that were around the 3,000 sq. ft. mark.

2) how do you know they paid cash? how do we know they didnt just make a down payment and have a doable mortgage?
I'm not sure why anyone, that could pay cash for something up front and avoid the interest, would do a mortgage. If i could have paid cash for my new house I would have in a heart beat and avoided all the interest that gets piled on.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I'm not sure why anyone, that could pay cash for something up front and avoid the interest, would do a mortgage. If i could have paid cash for my new house I would have in a heart beat and avoided all the interest that gets piled on.

Lots and lots of people who have far more money than you or I will ever have buy mortgages all the time. Why would you want to lock up all that liquid in something when you can use it elsewhere?

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
What a load of knee-jerk reactions and judgemental craziness!

Good on them. That doesn't sound like too giant a house - who knows how many members of their family might want to visit it now and ultimately inherit it one day. I have no sympathy for anyone who's saddened by the fact that total strangers spent their money on something they considered worthwhile.

Nobody has enough information to even guess their reasoning for it let alone suggest they don't know how to manage their money. They likely know how to manage their money better than said posters know how to manage their internet use.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Why would you want to lock up all that liquid in something when you can use it elsewhere?
Because then I own it and not the bank. My parents just bought a new house to be closer to there parents and they used the sale of the previous house to pay for this one. It is now fully paid off and they have only been in it for 6 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.