Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
My family and I are going to San Francisco in a few weeks. Looking forward to checking out this new store, along with seeing all the banners and hype for the WWDC.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I don't know, I think they lost their luster. and while they still look better than most retailers, they've become an imitation of themselves instead of really being what the soul of the stores were. Theres no real training, its only tech support and sales. theres no new innovative services offered in retail that makes it exciting to be there anymore.
The new theaters look great, but if theres new services i can see its purpose.
Other than that, its a sleek inspiration to renovate an apartment i guess
[doublepost=1463748320][/doublepost]
Probably a fire/safety issue. Quick and obvious way to disconnect power in an emergency.

:D

doubtful, as the stuff built into the walls or hidden behind the wallspace. i think its more so for aesthetic and dimensional. maybe not even that, probably how the power is run beneath their floor

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Yeah, fourteen tables from IKEA, great design..
And that's the challenge, isn't it? Over the last decade, IKEA has made simple, minimalist design ubiquitous and cheap across the USA.

And with that, people have become desensitized to minimalism. It's not as fresh and differentiated as it used to be.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
They are more in highlight these days for store openings and gossip articles than they are for actual product launches. Are we living in a Post-Apple era?
The amount of products has not increased dramatically, what do you expect a site like this should post when there aren't any proper rumours to discuss?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah, fourteen tables from IKEA, great design..
That's hardly accurate and there's more to the store than some product tables. I'm not sure either why you would think these look like ikea, their tables are nothing like this. Go into a store and check them out yourself.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
psh, so many beaut of stores.

and here in Toronto eaton centre flagship, this is all we got >.<
eatoncentre_hero_2x.jpg

More and more proof that Apple hates Canada (seriously, they dick us around constantly with jacked up prices, reduced content that comes late, and half assed stores)
[doublepost=1463751205][/doublepost]
This could also be a subconscious feeling about the products sitting on the tables. I know for me I don't enjoy entering the Apple Stores anymore... they feel boring because the products aren't changing enough. Everyone has an iPhone. iPads.. that's old news. Macbooks... everyone in college has one. No new magic. The company seems to be spending too much time on other tasks.

I believe it's part of it. When I used to frequent tech stores on a weekly basis, it wasn't to go say "hey, I need to see what that store design looks like now!" it was to say "I need to see and play with products I've never seen or played with before, what ever could be new!". it used to be that way with Apple stores too. What are they going to have on those tables that is new that I will not be able to experience otherwise? I'd go in and play with the iPads and iPhones. I bought my MacBook Air by going in and seeing and being "WoW, and I NEED A NEW LAPTOP TOO!". walked out with probably the nicest laptop i had ever had.

now. I know exactly what is going to be on every shelf. It's the same thing that has always been on every shelf. Apple stores have not been for a while someplace to go to see something new.

I know this is my own personal anecdote, but I'm sure that I am not the only one. I may not be going into gadget stores as regularly as I used to (I moved to a smaller town that doesn't have one of it's own), but I still take the drive out to the nearest best buy once a month just to spend an hour looking at whats new.

But with Laptops that haven't had any real change in 3-5 years. Desktops (all in ones) that have been virtually the same for 2-3 years. a "Pro" computer that hasn't been updated in 3. Tablets that are all visually identical to how they've been i nthe last 5-10. there isn't a lot of reason to feel like I have to go visit the Apple store to see something new.

Reactions: Arran

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
There are 5 "new" things in the store.
Genius Grove - Genius Bar
The Forum - Theater
The Avenue - Shelf
The Boardroom - Idk what this was called prior
Outdoor area - Maybe this is actually "new"...

I want whatever they are smoking out in Cupertino.
Angela A completes the destruction of the Apple Store......Genius Grove? Really?
[doublepost=1463754204][/doublepost]
Some of the people on here need to get over it. Apple now is a mass market consumer products company. The days of the whole "Apple store buying experience" and how special you felt for buying an Apple product are long gone.
Couldn't have said it better. I used to love going to the store and almost always bought something. Now I hate it and usually leave empty-handed.

Reactions: verpeiler and B.K.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You care to elaborate on that statement? What was great about the stores years ago compared to today? How would you design an interface? Also, Tim Cook an egomaniac? He's probably one of the most modest CEOs out there. Steve Jobs on the other hand was an egomaniac and was proud of it.
Two words: Steve Jobs. The RDF and re-writing of history is strong.

Nearly went insane when I saw that.

You realize the stores never hid those cables? Not even when the godly Steve Jobs was alive.

Reactions: sunspot42

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
To quote Chris Farly: Whoop-de-friggin-do! I think Apple needs to get rid of some Designer and Fashionista overhead and buy some decent computer hardware/software leaders.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
There are 5 stores in Minnesota (all within 30 miles of me) but 4 of the 5 are in shopping malls so is suspect they'll be the last ones to get a makeover. Sigh.

You literally couldn't swing a cat in my local store at Liverpool One, it's that small and cramped. It's the same with other UK stores outside London that have 2 floors connected by a glass staircase at the back.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I still don't understand why they don't feed the cable through the feet of the table. Everything would look so much more cleaner and elegant. View attachment 632057

Flexibility is one. You can move the tables.

Oh, and NEC. You can't run an extension cord inside a structure. I'm pretty sure you can't have connectors at the bottom of load bearing elements on furniture wither.

Xanthan

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2016
Pripyat, Ukraine
Refurbishing architecture is corpulence? Those locations existed before Apple entered them and Apple agrees to fix the existing building. You're on a MacRumors site... everything Apple is gouging it's customers. Stay home.

Looking at the antiquated state of MacBook Pros (really digging that low-rez camera & microscopic hard drives in almost mid-2016), I'd say the PP has a valid point at "worst" & spot on at best. Minus OS, you compare prices of a tricked out 15" MBP being $3000 Canadian, gouging doesn't go deep enough!

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
There are 5 "new" things in the store.
Genius Grove - Genius Bar
The Forum - Theater
The Avenue - Shelf
The Boardroom - Idk what this was called prior
Outdoor area - Maybe this is actually "new"...

I want whatever they are smoking out in Cupertino.

One time that's not new is snide remarks...

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Walked by the new SF store yesterday. Outstanding architecture, a beautiful store. Though it's much larger than the store its replacing a few blocks away, I have no doubt it will soon be similarly packed at all hours the doors are open. It will look stunning at night.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
You literally couldn't swing a cat in my local store at Liverpool One, it's that small and cramped. It's the same with other UK stores outside London that have 2 floors connected by a glass staircase at the back.
The Norwich store isn't to bad. It's on 1 floor in the Chapelfield shopping centre. Pic of the store.
73f27b6b9801ae1ab63482d117860591.jpg

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Yawn zzz... boring.

Who cares about Apple's new stores ? Of course The iVerge is reporting about it, the Apple owned tech site.

For the first time in years, I actually don't give a crap about a new upcoming generation of iPhone. It's just the same thing rehashed over and over now. Since Steve Job's passed ( R.I.P. ) the innovation and magic, and fresh ideas seem.gone, and now they just make a device to keep share holders happy, won't rock the boat due to being afraid it may hurt sales.

iOS blows compared to Android N

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yawn zzz... boring.

Who cares about Apple's new stores ? Of course The iVerge is reporting about it, the Apple owned tech site.

For the first time in years, I actually don't give a crap about a new upcoming generation of iPhone. It's just the same thing rehashed over and over now. Since Steve Job's passed ( R.I.P. ) the innovation and magic, and fresh ideas seem.gone, and now they just make a device to keep share holders happy, won't rock the boat due to being afraid it may hurt sales.

iOS blows compared to Android N
But we should care that you don't give a crap about the next iPhone?

Reactions: xtshabi

jkruehne

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2014
I still don't understand why they don't feed the cable through the feet of the table. Everything would look so much more cleaner and elegant. View attachment 632057
exactly my thought and reason why I open to post here :D
I asked this question in a store some time ago – they answered it is more flexible that way (cleaning, etc…)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.