Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a series of examples demonstrating various applications composed in HTML5.
The demos below show how the latest version of Apple’s Safari web browser, new Macs, and new Apple mobile devices all support the capabilities of HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Not all browsers offer this support. But soon other modern browsers will take advantage of these same web standards -- and the amazing things they enable web designers to do.
Notably, the demos require the use of Safari. Firefox and Chrome users will be directed to download Safari.

mzl.rayrlrye.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.fgtzpzrx.320x480-75.jpg

Screenshots from iPhone version
Meanwhile, game developer Brainium Studios has released an HTML5 demo version of their $0.99 iPhone game Hand of Greed. iPhone and iPod Touch owners can play the free HTML5 demo by directing their mobile browsers to http://www.brainiumstudios.com/webapp/. Users are instructed to install the "app" on their homescreen where it can be launched and played. There are some obvious limitations in the HTML5 version -- no sound and limited graphical effects. Still, it's an interesting adoption of some HTML5 standards that Apple has been pushing so hard.

Other notable HTML5 demos we've seen include:

- Akihabara - arcade games in HTML5
- SketchPad - draw, paint, create
- Darkroom - photo/image processing tool, can use offline storage.

Article Link: Apple Promotes HTML5, First iPhone Game Demo in HTML5, and More

AppEzzy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Nice, I can't wait to see HTML 5 start to catch on! Looks like flash is going to get left in the dust

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Paves the way in launching an ARM-based AppleTV device that also functions as a game console.

(watches Flash recede slowly in the rearview mirror)

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
The lyrics played on their "Audio" example:
Wake up
There's a new kid in the town
Honey, he's moving into the big house
Remember
When I was so very hopeless
Darling, he's gonna make it all better

No coincidences there....

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Looks very cool. The ability to do all this stuff natively in html is going to be fairly significant. Can't wait for the larger scale adoption. I think things will begin to snowball as things get rolling.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
There are some obvious limitations in the HTML5 version -- no sound and limited graphical effects. Still, it's an interesting adoption of some HTML5 standards that Apple has been pushing so hard.

No sound and limited graphics with HTML 5?

Why?

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Am I the only one completely blown away by these demos and code snippets for HTML5?

They are pretty impressive, especially when some people say HTML5 is no where near Flash... I tested all of those demos on my iPad and they all worked wonderfully.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
No sound and limited graphics with HTML 5?

Why?

Because HTML 5 isnt ready for primetime, illustrating perfectly why Jobs is an idiot for blocking Flash, a format that actually IS a viable plugin. Actually he's just egomaniacal, the idiots are the parrots that run around forums screaming FLASH IS BAD FLASH IS BAD.

Zc456

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
Apple really did a good job showing off the power of HTML5 and getting people more aware of it can do. The gallery and typography are my favs.

no sound? what?

It's just a demo.

Because HTML 5 isnt ready for primetime, illustrating perfectly why Jobs is an idiot for blocking Flash, a format that actually IS a viable plugin. Actually he's just egomaniacal, the idiots are the parrots that run around forums screaming FLASH IS BAD FLASH IS BAD.

Here we go again...

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
no sound? what?
Huh??? Everything worked well for me on Leopard Safari. Which browser were you trying to use?

All of the examples were very nice, but interactive audio was the most impressive. The magazine style pages were a close second, no Flash and they looked far better than almost all Flash based websites I have ever seen. Of course, this indicates once again that it is the "bad" designers, not the "bad" tools.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
EthanNixon said:
Am I the only one completely blown away by these demos and code snippets for HTML5?

They are pretty impressive, especially when some people say HTML5 is no where near Flash... I tested all of those demos on my iPad and they all worked wonderfully.

Not impressed at all compared to Flash. Put down the Koolaid. Try using the web app on your iPad and change from landscape to portrait or vice versa. Then tell us again how wonderfully it functions. Here's a hint, it craps the bed when you do it.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Not impressed at all compared to Flash. Put down the Koolaid. Try using the web app on your iPad and change from landscape to portrait or vice versa. Then tell us again how wonderfully it functions. Here's a hint, it craps the bed when you do it.
Are you talking about the third party game demo or Apple's demo pages?

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

Apparently Steve is now magical because he can block things that don't exist like full flash plugins for mobile devices...

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
theBB said:
Are you talking about the third party game demo or Apple's demo pages?

The game. The video on Apples site merely fails to stop playing audio when you close the tab its in. In other words, not a Flash killer, and if this is their way of trying to convince people that their idiotic stance against Flash is a noble one, they failed.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
"Standards aren’t add-ons to the web. They are the web."

I couldn't agree more. I'm so glad that Apple aren't supporting Flash anymore. It was the buggiest thing on the web. Crashed all the time, took forever to load (it's too long to wait a minute for a site to load, IMO). Sorry, not trying to be a Apple fanboy here, but I'm glad the web is slowly becoming restored back to normal. Add-ons aren't meant to be a standard, there's a reason for that.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Web standards...but they require you to use Safari?! Chrome can handle this stuff.

Since HTML5 is not finalized, not all browsers support all features. MS did a test of their own for HTML5 compatibility for IE9 and came out at a whopping 0%

"The "testing" done by Microsoft involved testing on a small subset of the W3C Web Standards, and even worse, they have only included tests where Internet Explorer 9 passes successfully. This is clearly not a serious scientific method, where you can trust and depend upon the results. The test-cases have been carefully chosen by Microsoft to give them a 100% success-rate on all test-categories. Therefore, we'll also present shameless results from tests which have been carefully selected to give the results that the PR department has demanded. "

Yet Another html5 browser test

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Apparently Steve is now magical because he can block things that don't exist like full flash plugins for mobile devices...
Here we freakin' go again.

It's not just Apple v. Adobe. Other handset manufacturers have shied away from Flash. Heck, the Mozilla Foundation removed Flash support at the 11th hour from Firefox Mobile for Maemo devices. There isn't one mobile device/platform that is including Flash on a widespread basis.

This is entirely Adobe's fault. And it wasn't just an anti-iPhone reaction. They have failed miserably for years in writing a Flash plug-in that works effectively on mobile devices. Any mobile device, not just iPhone. The iPhone shipped three years ago and there were other smartphone devices that preceded it.

Adobe saw this coming and did nothing about it. Adobe claims that they will ship something of release quality by the end of this year, 3.5 years after the original iPhone shipped. That's an eternity in this industry.

Adobe is either lazy or incompetent. Take your pick. But the longer this drags out and the more defensive Adobe's retorts get, the more incompetent they appear.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
What's funnier is that the game fails miserably on the iPad in Safari, but works as designed using A1 Browser. Yet another reason to never use Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.