Apple Pulls iOS 12 Beta 7 Update Due to Performance Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

If you haven't updated to the new iOS 12 beta 7 on your iOS device as of yet, you may notice that the over-the-air update option is no longer available, and that's because Apple has pulled the download.

Apple appears to have removed the beta 7 update because of performance issues.

[​IMG]

On the MacRumors forums, there are multiple reports of problems when tapping on an icon, which can result in a very noticeable pause before the app launches. As MacRumors reader OldSchoolMacGuy explains:
    Some users have said that the pausing issue disappeared for them after five or 10 minutes of using the iPhone, while others appear to be having continual problems.

Prior to when Apple pulled the update, several MacRumors readers had warned other users against installing the update on their iPhones. There have also been reports of other issues, such as apps freezing, Notification Center freezing, Lock screen freezing, and in-app functions refusing to load.

Apple was planning to release a public beta of iOS 12 today, but that may be delayed until these issues have been addressed in an updated release.

iOS 12 beta 7 is a significant update because it removes the Group FaceTime feature that has been present in iOS 12 since launch. Apple now says Group FaceTime will launch in an update coming later this fall.

Update: Apple has also removed the update from the Apple Developer Center.

Article Link: Apple Pulls iOS 12 Beta 7 Update Due to Performance Issues

2. Justin Iacobellis macrumors newbie

I think "Apple" is supposed to refer to "app".

3. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

4. Heineken macrumors 6502

Heineken

Same. No issues whatsoever.

5. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Fortunately, I'm not seeing this (yet) on my iPhone X which was updated OTA about an hour ago.

6. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Next time someone asks why Apple waits a day to release public betas...this is why.

8. Antilogical macrumors newbie

Antilogical

9. GuruZac macrumors 6502

GuruZac

This is damn impressive on Apple's part if they are responding this quickly.

10. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

No issues on 8 Plus or iPad Pro 10.5 updated via OTA

11. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

my iPhone X was stuck in a reboot loop for about an hour until it finally loaded, and then proceeded to lag and stutter terribly. this was probably the most trouble I've ever had with a beta update, and I've been beta testing software since they came on floppies (Mac OS 7.5.3 rev 2, I'm looking at you...)

12. David G. macrumors 65816

The inverse Newtonian physics implication sounds much more exciting.

13. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

my iPhone X was super sluggish for the first 10 minutes, I finally rebooted and it seems to ok now. Until I saw this story I was chalking it up to a very aggressive indexing after the update.

14. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

I've noticed the app hang today -- I wonder if my phone received the OTA update while I was sleeping and didn't realize it updated. What's the build number on the now-pulled Update 7? Anyone know?

15. kikyuu macrumors newbie

Had this problem on my X. Returned to normal after 15min or so. Feels like something doing heavy jobs in the background.

16. chrismac2 macrumors regular

chrismac2

I encountered this issue immediately after updating. Tapping an app icon would darken the icon and it would pause at least 10 seconds before opening the app. Happened the first time you open any app. Though now that I've had the beta installed for a couple hours, it is no longer happening. And the settings app icon has a 1 badge for software update, even though it's been installed.

17. kikyuu macrumors newbie

16A5354b

18. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Nö issue on my old iPhone 6 test device. Maybe an issue exclusive to the X?

19. newtestleper macrumors 6502

20. antmarobel macrumors 6502

antmarobel

21. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It did this for like the first 5 minutes after I updated, but it’s been fine since then. Probably due to indexing.

22. mdrbosh macrumors newbie

mdrbosh

My iPhone SE got stuck on the "Preparing Update" stage and it has been hanging there for a long time...

23. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

Same here. Had this issue but it seemed to iron itself out after a few minutes

24. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

Horrible b7 release. Anxiously awaiting its replacement. 7+ phone here

25. KPandian1 macrumors 6502a

Wow. They realized the error and pulled it the same day, very commendable.

Now, if they'd been this prompt with the missing MagSafe, headphone jack, USB 3, etc., the things people wanted to remain in their products, one might actually think that the company cared about user-experience instead of being thin.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2018 ---
    Nice. Someone who read the article properly, small as it was, before posting the early comment.