Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
That sucks. Thankfully I've backed up my ~700GB of iTunes movies and videos. I'll hold out on buying Ratatouille, though. I'm curious if Disney will give a response for this action.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
weird, i just checked my purchased on my apple TV and 3 Mater shorts are still there. the time travel mater, ghost light and the flying mater one. along with my purchased pixar movies like nemo, incredibles, peter pan and wreck it ralph. but all of those were via digital copy codes from blu rays

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
"You're buying it the wrong way" :D

This is why I bought at $90 external Blu-ray drive -- along with MakeMKV and Handbrake. Usually can get Blu-rays on Amazon for cheaper than iTunes.

Just have to a do a little work. How dare we.

This is fine until you run out of space on your external 4TB drive and realize space requirements go up exponentially over time. That and try ripping blu ray television shows. It can be a pain in the butt trying to sort out all the episodes :mad:

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
I can't believe people actually didn't have what they've purchased in their own hands, and just assumed they'll always be able to access it from the Apple server.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Its in the TOS. You are just buying a license to watch the content. They can pull it at any time.

Sucks, but its partly why the physical media business isn't going away anytime soon.

I don't buy movies on download, but this is crap for those that do. There's no trust in the system. Yet the price the downloads as if they're physcial copies. So basic, their TOS says they can take our money and not provide us anything in return.

Apple's customer service lines should be flooded by now people. Get on it! We won't stand for this!

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Who cares if the itunes store pulled them down?
My store still has them. And guess what? They're free.
If_you_know_what_I_mean_.png

My advice: never pay for something you can't truly own, like online movies, music, books, etc.
Pirate them or buy the CD/DVD/BlueRay/actual book.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I'm not even kidding, my daughter was going to watch the Lion King for the first time tonight.

But, *NO PROBLEM I'VE GOT IT COVERED*

I'll be plugging in my believe it or not LaserDisc player tonight... Unbelievable.

If I didn't happen to have a laserdisc player and copy, I would of course be pirating it because frak you, I paid for it.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
Especially when they don't bother to auto-send you an email.

"Sorry Customer, due to licensing, your movie is no longer available and has been deleted from your library and iCloud."

I'm sorry, but this business model is flawed. So they get to keep the money even after the pull the titles? Class action suit.

They don't delete it from your library. They have no way of doing that.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
How can they pull content that's been paid for? This is why I don't buy movies from iTunes or anywhere else as a download. :mad: I consider this THEFT and expect a class-action suit to be filed.

The formula is simple: I give you money for something you have; you give that something to me to own. If you take it back from me (especially without my knowledge), I expect you to give me my money back. Otherwise, it's called theft and there's laws for that.

What kind of world are we going to live when when companies let you buy stuff and they take it back. What is this? I give you money for nothing?

Again, I refuse to buy movies from downloaded sources for this reason alone. Ok, reason #2 is that the prices are too high.
did you even read the article??

the terms clearly state that your item may or may not be available at any given time, and apple has no liability to you if you can't re-download a movie, so how do you expect a class action suit?? On what grounds?

You claim apple took something from you... umm no they did not. They did not delete the movie from your computer. They did not come into your house and take away any movies you downloaded.

*DISNEY* removed the movies from the iTunes store, and so it is unavailable for RE-DOWNLOAD. Big difference. Apple does not promise you will forever be able to download everything you ever purchased. If a content provider decides to pull their content from the store, how do you expect apple to be liable for providing it to you??

Amazing how people will try to claim apple stole something from you and that they owe you money and you should sue them, when it clearly states they owe you nothing in this case because they do NOT promise ANY content to be downloadable FOREVER. Not to mention, disney pulled the content, not apple. I guess you expect best buy to keep the tv model you purchased in 1985 in stock for the rest of your life as well in case you need to exchange it right???

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
This is why I download all iTunes purchases to my media drive and don't leave them for in the Cloud watching. While some content may be there, studios add and remove content. Once it is on your machine, it is yours to keep and can be streamed to an Apple TV or synced to an iOS device. The always available in the cloud feature was an added benefit if you wanted to access your content in other ways, but it is not really designed to be an online repository for your content as not all studios participate and keep all titles indefinitely. This is not iTunes Match.

This is what I do for all my movies as well--even the Blu Rays I buy that offer iTunes downloads--they are all on my media drive. Nice to have them in the cloud but when all else fails, I can always stream from my media drive.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Unfortunately I can confirm this. Both titles now gone from my library.

Come on Apple and Disney. Work it out.

I'm glad that I downloaded The Lion King from my iCloud last week, so I still have it on my hard drive.

I get the feeling a law suit will occur though

So this means the actual files on your your local HD are gone or just the link to re download them in the iTunes Store?

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
Nothing beats a 1080p physical disk that you can keep on a shelf that the content owner can't remove from your library.

until that day when a code is inserted into the disc that 'marries' it to the player its first inserted into and renders it unplayable if it doesn't recognise the player.

all rights reserved on that idea if nobody at sony, warner et al haven't thought of it already.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
this is why i don't support movie studios. i don't want physical media, and they take away your rights to digital media. so until there's a solution and some consumer protection from that, they don't get my money.

bikerdoood

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Disney has done similar things for decades. Rather than releasing a movie (Dumbo, for instance) on VHS and making endless copies, they carry out a limited release over period of time. When it's gone, it's gone, and you just have to wait until it comes back.

And, Apple's iTunes user agreement states that content might just go away at some point in the future. Yes, fine print sucks, but there it is.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
I don't see the problem. When you lose or destroy your DVD there is no one who is going to replace it. They clearly say to back up your movies and you can keep the movie as long as you like.

paul55br

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
Maybe it's just me, but when I buy online content, I always download a copy to my machine then to my external drive. Sure it's convenient to have it playable in the cloud, but you know you're paying for the movie itself not the space to keep it in the cloud. In other words, iTunes is not an online backup service.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
So this means the actual files on your your local HD are gone or just the link to re download them in the iTunes Store?

Only the copies stored in the cloud are gone--what is on your drive stays on your drive. I don't blame Apple or Amazon--this sounds like something Disney would do--probably figured they were not making enough money from Apple or Amazon on these titles.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I just got a phone call from home. Apparently Disney agents came into my house and took-back "The Lion King" on DVD, VHS and UltraViolet Digital Copy. Damn'it to hell!

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.