Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has asked the Indian government to exempt existing iPhones from new rules that require smartphones sold in the country to have a USB-C charging port, reports Reuters.

iPhone-15-USB-C-Port-Event-Still.jpg

India wants to replicate an upcoming European Union rule that requires all smartphones to implement the USB-C charging standard. However, according to a new report, Apple has told India its local production targets will be hit if the country requires all iPhones to have USB-C charging ports.
In a closed-door Nov. 28 meeting chaired by India's IT ministry, Apple asked officials to exempt existing iPhone models from the rules, warning it will otherwise struggle to meet production targets set under India's production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme, according to the meeting minutes seen by Reuters.
Only the newest iPhone 15 models currently have the USB-C port. The problem for Apple is that many consumers in India prefer to buy older models like the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13, which Apple produces in India for local sales and exports as part of its adherence to the country's PLI scheme.
"If the regulation is implemented on earlier models of mobile phones, they (Apple) will not be able to meet the PLI targets," the minutes quoted Apple's regulatory and product compliance executives as saying while opposing the rules.
While the EU regulation comes into effect in December 2024, India has said it wants compliance by June 2025. According to the report, Apple told officials it can comply with that timeline if existing models are exempted from the rules, but will need 18 months beyond 2024 if they are not. India's IT ministry is said to have decided to review its request in light of the meeting and will reach a decision later.

Article Link: Apple Pushes Back Against iPhone USB-C Regulations in India

• Wow
Reactions: iLuddite

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I don’t understand the issue. I suppose the reason for this is that Apple want to continue selling less expensive iPhone SE, 12, 13 and 14 there for as long as possible without switching them all to USB-C? If this is the case, why cannot they indeed replicate the EU rules, so only the devices released after a certain date need to comply?

Last edited:

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I don’t understand the issue. I suppose the reason for this is that Apple wants to continue selling less expensive iPhone SE, 12, 13 and 14 there for as long as possible without switching them all to USB-C? If this is the case, why cannot they indeed replicate the EU rules, so only the devices released after a certain date need to comply?

Maybe Indian laws are more stringent and also retroactive?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I personally would like to see this go forward. I doubt that swapping the lightning port for a USB-C port on existing 13, and 14 phones would actually require a lof of re-engineering. Plus I'd be disappointed if Apple–being an innovative company–wouldn't be able to get around that.

A quick comparison of images of the internals of the 15 and the 14 show that the connector takes about the same space. The only change would be the casing.

If Apple can have a casing with the mmWave cutouts for the US, Apple can certainly have different casings for USB-C models.
The existing casings can be used for repairs and replacement of existing models with Lightning so nothing is wasted. Most if not all phone cases would probably fit without issues as the size of the connector is almost the same.

Last edited:

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
I personally would like to see this go forward. I doubt that swapping the lightning port for a USB-C port on existing 13, and 14 phones would actually require a lof of re-engineering. Plus I'd be disappointed if Apple–being an innovative company–wouldn't be able to get around that.

A quick comparison of images of the internals of the 15 and the 14 show that the connector takes about the same space. The only change would be the casing.

If Apple can have a casing with the mmWave cutouts for the US, Apple can certainly have different casings for USB-C models.

And what are you going to do with the old ports and cases? Throw them away? That's e-waste, and that's what we want to reduce.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I don't understand how new regulations can just be like "oh this phone wasn't USB-C back in 2020 so it can't be sold anymore". I don't know seems a bit too far IMO, it is one thing to say all new devices from this date going forward need to to be xyz compliant based on this new law/regulation

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
And what are you going to do with the old ports and cases? Throw them away? That's e-waste, and that's what we want to reduce.
The existing casings can be used for repairs and replacement of existing models with Lightning so nothing is wasted. Most if not all phone cases would probably fit without issues as the size of the connector is almost the same.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Honestly I don't see any plus for requiring existing devices to be forced to switch. That in the end will ONLY lead to more ewaste, since you can't sell those devices and they would have to be either shipped elsewhere or destroyed.

No, they wouldn't. See this video of a YouTube user replacing the ports themselves.
(Unfortunately, preview in external sites is disabled.)

If a regular user can do it at home, then Apple can definitely implement the changes themselves.

Lamborrari

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Chicago
“Apple told officials it can comply with that timeline if existing models are exempted from the rules, but will need 18 months beyond 2024 if they are not.”

Here’s the big take from the article, that Apple plans to sell Lightning-equipped iPhones in India until June, 2026 at the latest. Reasonable considering the iPhone 14 should be discontinued by September of 2025 and any remaining stocks sold off to resellers within 9 months. I imagine the next-generation iPhone SE would debut by the end of September, 2025 as well, with any remaining 3rd-gen SE stocks sold off by June of 2026.

Reactions: amartinez1660

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
The EU regulation covers new phones introduced in 2024, so the iPhone 15 was actually exempt from the regulation despite the media narrative pushed here and elsewhere.

That’s why Apple will continue to sell older iPhones with lightning ports in Europe.

The Indian regulation would cover all phones, and Apple is trying to bring it in line with the EU regulation.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
all new devices from this date going forward need to to be xyz compliant based on this new law/regulation
That’s how the EU regulation is worded (more or less), which is why the iPhone 15’s switch to USB-C wasn’t entirely driven by regulation. Apple could have waited until the iPhone 16 to make the switch and maintain compliance in the EU.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Indian supply chain is light years behind China anyway. Just move assembly plants to multiple countries with “only” 80-100 million people, like Vietnam. Being held by the balls by both China and India is going to feel rather awkward even for Tim Apple.
Oh please. Apple want cheap labour that is far enough away that they don't have to worry about to many legal issues. That's the price of 'being held by the balls'.
If they want to have full control of their operation as is so often touted they need to build a sweat shop in Cupertino right next to that spaceship.

ifxf

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Indian supply chain is light years behind China anyway. Just move assembly plants to multiple countries with “only” 80-100 million people, like Vietnam. Being held by the balls by both China and India is going to feel rather awkward even for Tim Apple.
India has rules where phones built in country are exempted from import high tariffs.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I don't understand how new regulations can just be like "oh this phone wasn't USB-C back in 2020 so it can't be sold anymore". I don't know seems a bit too far IMO, it is one thing to say all new devices from this date going forward need to to be xyz compliant based on this new law/regulation
The phone is being built today not back in 2020. India doesn't care about the release date it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.