Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Apple posted a Newsroom update reminding customers that the new 24-inch iMac, the M1-powered iPad Pro, and the updated Apple TV 4K will be available for pre-order starting tomorrow. Apple has said these new devices will be available in the second half of May, but now, it may have quietly confirmed a specific date.

iMac-and-iPad-May-21-Feature-Triad.jpg

Spotted first by Jason Aten on Twitter, and confirmed by MacRumors, Apple's Newsroom update on its UK and Australian website has confirmed that the new devices will be available on May 21. Metadata within the Newsroom update says, "The all-new iMac, iPad Pro, Apple TV 4K, purple iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini, and AirTag arrive in stores and on doorsteps around the world May 21."

imac-may-21.jpg

While the metadata says the new iMac, iPad Pro, and Apple TV will start arriving on May 21, the description is incorrect in saying that AirTags and the purple iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 will also be arriving on the same day. AirTags and the newly colored iPhone 12 became available for pre-order last week and will begin arriving to most customers tomorrow, Friday, April 30.

Update 8:01 a.m.: Apple has updated the metadata on its press release pages to remove the references to May 21. The description now reads: "The all-new iMac, iPad Pro, and Apple TV 4K arrive in stores and on doorsteps around the world in the second half of May. iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini in purple and AirTag are available now."

Article Link: Apple Quietly Confirms 24-inch iMac, M1 iPad Pro, and New Apple TV Shipping on May 21

Last edited:

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
Thank goodness for the play by play on exactly what date these things will start to ship. I was on pins and needles wondering if it was May 24th or May 21st or even the 16 of the May. I was hoping it wasn't the 30th of May. Riveting stuff!

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I would think that the upcoming iPad Pro is one of, if not the, most powerful tablet in the world.

Also, I know Apple usually doesn't say anything about the amount of RAM in its iPhones (and we find out later through other sources).

Is the the first time Apple is revealing up-front the amount of RAM in an iDevice? Or has it been done before and I just missed it?

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Seems like I'm not the only one who hates the Apple TV 4K remote. I think it's the worst Apple product that I ever held in my hands, keeps driving me crazy.
Might sell the the 4K and go with the new one if they don't sell the remote separately.
Uh, no. The Apple TV remote is great. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't order this new one. This one is an improvement upon the existing Siri remote.

Reactions: mikeray

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2016
Seems like I'm not the only one who hates the Apple TV 4K remote. I think it's the worst Apple product that I ever held in my hands, keeps driving me crazy.
Might sell the the 4K and go with the new one if they don't sell the remote separately.
You’re welcome

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2016
not going to happen. they already said so. no plans to merge the two. Which means not happening anytime soon like at WWDC.
They also once said that video would never come to iPods… and then added video to the iPod.
they also said that third-party applications would never come to the iPhone… before promptly announcing the iPhone SDK 3 months later.
they said that Apple would never make a book store because no one likes to read books... then eight months later introduced the iBooks store.
just because Apple says something doesn’t always make it true.
if someone asked Steve Jobs in December 2006 if Apple was working on a smart phone, he would probably say either “no” or “we have great interest.”
either way, I think there’s no denying that within the next couple years, Apple has to do something to validate the iPad having all this power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.