Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PastFuture

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Germany
So statistically speaking APPLE has sold an iPhone to almost 1/12 of the world's population. Even though this number considerable lessens when factoring in multiple sales per person, I find this utterly amazing.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Seriously bored with the lack of activity. Are they going to release any new products in the near future or not. End of March and still nothing. So much for Cook's pledge to release products "throughout 2014". The guy is full of BS. Still waiting for my Mac Pro. Not good enough Apple. They should kick out Cook and bring back Wozk. At least it would be fun again instead of that corporate robot with the charisma of wooden poll they have as CEO now.
Um... no. :)

Seriously... 2014 has just started. Chill out.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Nokia's top 5 phones have had sales of over a billion, which makes the number seem less impressive.

The wikipedia says the top selling mobiles are:

1100, released 2003: 250m - > "The Nokia 1100 is the most basic phone you can get today". MSRP $49.95
1100, released 2005: 250m
3210, released 1999: 160m -> £150. "the greatest phone ever made"
1200, released 2007: 150m -> "There really is no other word to use to describe this mobile than ‘basic'
5230, released 2009: 150m -> $149.95 "The Nokia 5230 Nuron is a low cost smartphone from Nokia"
6600, released 2003: 150m -> £600. At the time of release, it was the most advanced product ever launched by Nokia.

Total: 1.1bn

I'm not sure, if you look at Nokia's stuff, that their billion phones sold are more impressive than the 500m iPhones.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The difference is that Apple is the only one selling apps and iTunes music. It's easy to tell who the legitimate Xth customer is when there is only one data source. There's absolutely no way to tell who bought the legitimate 500M iPhone because you have the Apple stores, the carriers, Apple online, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and dozens of other authorized vendors - all with slightly different ways of reporting sales. How would you possibly decide which one was the 500M?

SELECT {
select count(iphones) from apple.sales as cnt1,
select count(iphones) from walmart.sales as cnt2,
select count(iphones) from bestbuy.sales as cnt3
}

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
And what trajectory might that be, oh all-knowing-one?

A rising tide floats all boats.

The world switched to smartphones, and Apple sold 500 million of them. Good for them.

But like someone else said, Nokia sold a billion phones and continued to report that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread even while they bet the entire business on a) Symbian and b) dumbphones.

They didn't realize that sales volumes are a LAGGING INDICATOR. A tech business can be utterly failing, even as their volumes are high.

Just ask Blackberry. They had incredible sales of the platform for years AFTER they decided to stop evolving. But correlation does not imply causation.

These companies milked their original innovations but never got around to inventing the next big thing. So when someone else did, they went away incredibly quickly.

Apple's innovation was in 2007 and was instantly copied -- and copied very well.

Apple have done nothing but incrementally evolve their very old innovation...and seem to have entirely given up on trying to compete on the hardware side.

Most of you think that that indicates market dominance because sales volumes are high. I disagree.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Define best, as for me the iPhone is not it.

Apple makes what it wants, THEN persuades you that what you want.
As opposed to most other things, where companies make items and you choose what you want.

Apple didn't even start running iPhone 5s magazine ads until Oct. 17 and TV ads until Oct. 20, that's almost a month after the September 20 release date. They sold 9 MILLION iPhones (combined 5s/5c) that first weekend without advertising in magazines or TV.

That's pretty good persuasion. No advertising and those shipping dates kept slipping back...

It's okay if the iPhone is not for you, clearly you were interested enough to read this article since it was an item that's sold 500,000,000!

Is this phone for everyone? Absolutely not. It's also cost prohibitive for many. When I can buy $10 Android phones at the department store with no commitment, a lot of people won't get an iPhone.

The iPhone was a choice for others to make (500,000,000 times), this is NOT a small minority. I'll say 4 of those iPhones were purchased by me, but then the were resold for other people to use them (my 3gs might still be making someone very happy!).

FYI, I've never had a used two year old electronics item sell for such a high price (considering that 3 more recent models [5, 5s, 5c] had come out since it's release), I think that's saying something about people's desire for this device.

I just have to appreciate the scale of this:
A company that sells 500,000,000 of non-consumable products is pretty happy with those kinds of numbers and I'm not even talking electronics. Most of these phones require a two year commitment and on average cost $100 for the base model (not even factoring in the higher memory models). That's much more expensive than normal items. I can't find numbers like this for any particular product line, personal computers sell more than this in 7 years (double or triple, based on estimates) but that's all personal computers across all companies.

Books that sell of 100,000,000 copies are pretty rare and much much cheaper and no other monetary commitment. Movie tickets, DVDs, CDs any of these would be happy with numbers like this. There are only a few hundred albums that have ever gone "Diamond" which is 10,000,000 copies and many of those have been out for decades (290 million copies of Thriller) and many of those were possibly multi-puchases (8-track, cassette, Album, CD) and replacements for tapes that got eaten. (I don't know what kind of number exist

There is only 300 million people in the US and 7 billion in the world. Last year it was estimated there were 6 billion activated cellular phones, which shocked me but than I realized that a portion of these were probably work cell phones too.

500 MILLION is a HUGE number! Congratulations Apple. Thank you Steve Jobs.

Gary

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
A rising tide floats all boats.

The world switched to smartphones, and Apple sold 500 million of them. Good for them.

But like someone else said, Nokia sold a billion phones and continued to report that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread even while they bet the entire business on a) Symbian and b) dumbphones.

They didn't realize that sales volumes are a LAGGING INDICATOR. A tech business can be utterly failing, even as their volumes are high.

Just ask Blackberry. They had incredible sales of the platform for years AFTER they decided to stop evolving. But correlation does not imply causation.

These companies milked their original innovations but never got around to inventing the next big thing. So when someone else did, they went away incredibly quickly.

Apple's innovation was in 2007 and was instantly copied -- and copied very well.

Apple have done nothing but incrementally evolve their very old innovation...and seem to have entirely given up on trying to compete on the hardware side.

Most of you think that that indicates market dominance because sales volumes are high. I disagree.

Is there any other company out there that is "innovating" (like how different iOS was compared to BB) or all of them just "add more features" to existing iOS clones? I think there's none.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
So statistically speaking APPLE has sold an iPhone to almost 1/12 of the world's population. Even though this number considerable lessens when factoring in multiple sales per person, I find this utterly amazing.

Me too! But even with multiple sales, I've sold my used phones to others (I didn't throw them out!).

They found a new home and were still in use for a while (if not still!).

I've always been pretty happy with the resale value too :)

Gary

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Why does this article not mention other consumer products that have sold 500 million? So we can put it in historical perspective. :)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

Possibly. I also bought 4 iPhones so if the average is 4, then it drops to 1/50th of the world's population :D

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Why does this article not mention other consumer products that have sold 500 million? So we can put it in historical perspective. :)

You mean like 10 billion tubes of Crest Tooth paste? 600 million Twinkes? The Snuggie at over 500 million units, or the 12 Microsoft Surface 2's that have sold? :D

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Apple employee, whispers: Thank you for your purchase, have a great day
Customer: What?
Apple employee, whispers: enjoy your phone
Customer: I can't hear you, speak up.

Comedy gold right there. If I could give you 100 thumbs up I would.

On topic: Wow. Surprising they didn't publicly announce it in some way.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
When are the going to start that.

As opposed to most other things, where companies make items and you choose what you want.

Total BS, they'd never have sold 500 million of them if the customers didn't love them. The fad meme ran out of steam a long time ago.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
When are the going to start that.

Yeah. Apple should probably be penalized for being the only company to use any form of persuasion to sell their goods and services.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nothing can replace the feeling of standing in line on that warm summer afternoon, June 29, 2007. I remember holding the thing in my hand for the first time. It was surreal. It really felt like I had found something that a time traveler had accidentally left behind. I remember using it to call my friend for the first time: "I'm calling you from an iPhone HOLY CRAP AAAAAHHHHHAHHAH!" $600 was nothing to own this thing. I would have paid twice as much easily—and I was a college student paying my own way. I didn't even realize it at the time, but the iPhone really helped get me through college. It saved me so many times and I was much better organized.

People laughed when Steve said they wanted 1% of the market. iPhone is a success by any measure. I can't wait to see what is after iPhone. I bet their labs are full of some crazy stuff!

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Are you implying a downward TRAJECTORY?
You bet I am.

It's like being on an airplane that's taking off from a valley bottom.

There are two rates of climb to consider.

The fact that your elevation above sea level is rapidly increasing is not necessarily proof that you are going to survive even the next 60 seconds.

Even if you congratulate yourself on your apparently excellent rate of ascent, you need to consider the first comic in this image:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/1648199/Farside

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple didn't even start running iPhone 5s magazine ads until Oct. 17 and TV ads until Oct. 20, that's almost a month after the September 20 release date. They sold 9 MILLION iPhones (combined 5s/5c) that first weekend without advertising in magazines or TV.

Bear in mind that the nine million included sales to retailers and carriers around the world.

They didn't need advertising to kick start their inventory purchases.

The ever expanding number of retailers is part of why the first weekend sales are expected to rise each year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.