Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
graph

because we continually see graphs to how apple is losing market share in the phone industry, could we see a bar graph showing sales of individual handsets, just to see how apple ranks compared to the competition.

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
no fanfare

There was no fanfare because of the elephant in the living room, which is the TRAJECTORY that they are on.

They do not want people talking about that.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
When are the going to start that.

Define best, as for me the iPhone is not it.

Apple makes what it wants, THEN persuades you that what you want.
As opposed to most other things, where companies make items and you choose what you want.

So you're saying that Apple somehow brainwashed people to buy 500 MILLION phones that they really didn't want?

Amazing!

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
As opposed to most other things, where companies make items and you choose what you want.

True that..But you see I like it that way.

In the same way I want to buy a painting from an artist inspiration, rather than my naive non-artistic idea of what a painting should be.

In the same way I want to buy car from a company who values design and engineering above marketing and gimmicks that caters to the naive masses.

Do good and passionate work, and people will respond in kind.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Which analyst will be first to use this information to predict Apple's imminent DEATH ??

When they sell the 666 millionth iPhone, an earthquake will swallow Apple's headquarters in Cupertino. Should happen within 12 months.

Hope you are satisfied :D

----------

So you're saying that Apple somehow brainwashed people to buy 500 MILLION phones that they really didn't want?

It is an attitude that is quite typical to a certain kind of nerd, who doesn't actually understand what it is that Apple devices bring to their customers, so the "brainwashing" is to them the only logical explanation.

because we continually see graphs to how apple is losing market share in the phone industry, could we see a bar graph showing sales of individual handsets, just to see how apple ranks compared to the competition.

Apple doesn't lose market share in the phone industry. They _are_ losing market share in the "smart phone" market. The reason is of course that year after year, cheaper and cheaper phones change from being "feature phones" to "smart phones". In the phone industry as a whole, where the cheapest £10 phone counts the same as a diamond encrusted phone for over £10,000, Apple's share has been growing every year.

Apple's market share in the total phone market is rarely reported. When you hear how Samsung's smartphone sales grow, you never hear that their non-smart phone sales are dropping (like almost everyone else's). You also never hear about revenue, where realistically selling a million £600 phones should count the same as selling 10 million £60 phones or 60 million £10 phones.

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
When they sell the 666 millionth iPhone, an earthquake will swallow Apple's headquarters in Cupertino. Should happen within 12 months.

Will that be the current headquarters or the new Campus 2 they are building? Perhaps that is the true reason for the new building: as a decoy for the earthquake!

:D

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA

And to think I thought I had the WHOLE phone marketplace to choose from when I bought my iPhone. That Apple gun to my head must have been really small for me not to notice :roll eyes:

Or maybe they brainwashed me by making products I can reliably count on to do what they are designed to do so I can extrapolate that experience to inform my future tech purchases. BASTARDS!

bookofzero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
The difference is that Apple is the only one selling apps and iTunes music. It's easy to tell who the legitimate Xth customer is when there is only one data source. There's absolutely no way to tell who bought the legitimate 500M iPhone because you have the Apple stores, the carriers, Apple online, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and dozens of other authorized vendors - all with slightly different ways of reporting sales. How would you possibly decide which one was the 500M?

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Just in time for the movie :D

XUVBhfBl.jpg

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
For example I would not be surprised that Nokia and Samsung have sold more than that in total. However, if you compare smartphones in the above $400 category, how close is anyone to apple? I would bet a pretty penny that they are not close at all.

Nokia sold its billionth phone in 2005: http://www.nokia.com/global/about-nokia/about-us/the-nokia-story/

Samsung sold 120 million phones in one quarter last year: http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/29/g...sung-sells-more-than-nokia-apple-lg-combined/

Apple still has the majority of profits though (>60% over the past 6 years): http://bgr.com/2014/03/18/apple-samsung-smartphone-profits-3/

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

"...companies make items and you choose what you want" That's exactly how iPhones get sold too.

Why is it so hard to accept that some people (well, with 500 million sold a lot of people) think iPhones are the best phone?

elthesensai

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Brooklyn New York
There was no fanfare because of the elephant in the living room, which is the TRAJECTORY that they are on.

They do not want people talking about that.

Are you implying a downward TRAJECTORY? Every quarter since the introduction of the iPhone the TRAJECTORY has been up. The iPhone 5S was their top seller. The previous top seller? The iPhone 5. Want to guess what was their previous top seller. The TRAJECTORY for every device has been up and there is no reason to believe that the iPhone 6 won't continue this trend. :rolleyes:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
"...companies make items and you choose what you want" That's exactly how iPhones get sold too.

Why is it so hard to accept that some people (well, with 500 million sold a lot of people) think iPhones are the best phone?

Nooooo, didn't you know? With Apple everything is different. Customers don't know what they want, they don't pick a phone consciously (as opposed to the competition). And their laptops? Probably Jony Ives was told to use Alumin(i)um because it looks so sparkly and conceals the absolute mediocrity of the content to the dumb masses of Apple Consumers... And so on... :)

And it's great that people like "Piggie" visit the iSheep once a while on message boards like these to enlighten us all about the real world! Thanks!

On Topic: I'd love to see the numbers broken down for each model.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
These next few quarters may see a slump in iPhone sales as Apple gears up for a possible fall launch of the iPhone 6. Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 is widely rumored to include a larger display, which could encourage a significant number of users to upgrade in 2014 and cause another spike in sales later this year.
And this means I will likely be able to get a used iPhone5 cheap. I've no interest in a larger screen, I have an iPad for that, but a5 or 5c would be a nice upgrade.

cal321

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2014
Nokia's top 5 phones have had sales of over a billion, which makes the number seem less impressive.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Seriously bored with the lack of activity. Are they going to release any new products in the near future or not. End of March and still nothing. So much for Cook's pledge to release products "throughout 2014". The guy is full of BS. Still waiting for my Mac Pro. Not good enough Apple. They should kick out Cook and bring back Wozk. At least it would be fun again instead of that corporate robot with the charisma of wooden poll they have as CEO now.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
And to think I thought I had the WHOLE phone marketplace to choose from when I bought my iPhone. That Apple gun to my head must have been really small for me not to notice :roll eyes:

Or maybe they brainwashed me by making products I can reliably count on to do what they are designed to do so I can extrapolate that experience to inform my future tech purchases. BASTARDS!

Your list of owned hardware says more about your ability to choose items unaffected by branding than anything you could ever say :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.