Apple Raises Mac Prices in Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Norway, Malaysia, Mexico, Thailand and Turkey

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Gone are the days like 2002 when the iBook dropped in price by $NZ1,000 between the 600MHz revision and the 800MHz revision. And Apple was pretty slow to drop prices when $AUS became worth more than $US a few years back. But this is nuts, they were already very high, now it's as bad as what MS has done with the new Surface Pro, which is more than $NZ1,000 more at the same spec point than the equivalent level Surface Pro 3. And the Surface Book isn't even priced on their website yet because I'm not sure they expect to get any sales at ~$NZ4,000 for the model one wants lol.

Mind you, the Titanium G4s were over $NZ5,000 in 2002 and the one I wanted was $NZ6,500 so I guess something has improved. But last year things were looking much better than now lol.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
It's not their fault, if they don't increase the prices, then their products may become unprofitable.
Im unsure if I'm right in assuming this, but if the US dollar is stronger then doesn't that mean apple would pay less to the Chinese to produce it since it's worth more in their money? Then in return they actually don't have to change the prices for the international markets and can even decrease it in the US? Maybe apple is paying them so little it doesn't matter anyway.

Last edited:

Matheus Dilon

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
Hey guys, I'm from Brazil, and I gotta to tell you! Prices here are INSANE and I'd really appreciate it if u read my whole comment.

I know my country is famous for high tax foreign products, but Apple is going TOO FAR with that.

The thing is, there are several other companies like Microsoft, LG, Samsung, Acer, Dell, there aren't charging it's costumers so much! And much of their products still comes from abroad!

Just to give you all a picture from inside:

A Dell with Full HD Touch Screen, 5th Gen of Intel i7 processor, 16GB of Ram, 1TB of Storage + 8GB of SSD + AMD M265 of 2GB is charged here for R$3500. If you devide this value for 4, you get the price in dollar ($875). Now if u take a look at Dell.com (US Store) you see is almost close of that! Even with different configurations, It gets between $750 and $800!

Now Apple...

If you take the "worse" MacBook Pro, the one that coasts $1,299. Multiply this for 4 and you get (R$5,196). How much you think that one coasts here actualy?

Freaking R$11.249,10 in cash!!! This so disrespectful and unfair!!!

I, PLEASE, ask you guys to go online e help us with the #SayNoToAppleInBrazil on Twitter, Facebook, or where ever u like.

Here, we love Apple. They've build here two Retails already and I think we have almost all services of it. It's great, but it's coasting us too much.

Even with our economic crises, other brands are handling it with less profits and been reasonable during it's touth times.

Thank you all for reading and I hope you support us!! #ILuvMacRumors

Matheus Dilon

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
ELI5 Question: Why is the strength of the USD relative to these other countries' currencies relevant? If the dollar is strong that should make manufacturing cheaper in China. Seems like it should be a strong yuan against a NZ dollar, for example, that would make a difference.
Good question!! This is a company that only wants more and more profits, no matter what happens!! In my country, black market is going to happen, for sure!!

Reactions: Tamagotchi

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
garirry.com
Im unsure if I'm right in assuming this, but if the US dollar is stronger then doesn't that mean apple would pay less to the Chinese to produce it since it's worth more in their money? Then in return they actually don't have to change the prices for the international markets and can even decrease it in the US? Maybe apple is paying them so little it doesn't matter anyway.
First, keep in mind Apple doesn't directly pay these Chinese workers in their currency, whatever they use, they need to order and pay Foxconn, who might keep the same USD price. Second, I don't know, is it the USD that is very strong or every other currency being weak? I'm not a professional in economy, so I might be wrong on this.

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
I’m not sure if that’s what I’m getting at. What I mean is that when we hear on the news that the dollar has strengthened, the Apple reaction always seems to be a price increase, (fair enough).
When it weakens we don’t hear about price drops across the board, (why?).

Having said that the article says;
Apple reports its quarterly earnings in U.S. dollars, and routinely adjusts its prices in foreign countries due to currency exchange rates that are beyond its control. Australia, Canada and Europe have faced similar price increases this year.
Mind you routinely doesn’t mean regularly and it doesn’t guarantee an adjustment that is favourable for consumers.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Hey guys, I'm from Brazil, and I gotta to tell you! Prices here are INSANE and I'd really appreciate it if u read my whole comment.

I know my country is famous for high tax foreign products, but Apple is going TOO FAR with that.

The thing is, there are several other companies like Microsoft, LG, Samsung, Acer, Dell, there aren't charging it's costumers so much! And much of their products still comes from abroad!

Just to give you all a picture from inside:

A Dell with Full HD Touch Screen, 5th Gen of Intel i7 processor, 16GB of Ram, 1TB of Storage + 8GB of SSD + AMD M265 of 2GB is charged here for R$3500. If you devide this value for 4, you get the price in dollar ($875). Now if u take a look at Dell.com (US Store) you see is almost close of that! Even with different configurations, It gets between $750 and $800!

Now Apple...

If you take the "worse" MacBook Pro, the one that coasts $1,299. Multiply this for 4 and you get (R$5,196). How much you think that one coasts here actualy?

Freaking R$11.249,10 in cash!!! This so disrespectful and unfair!!!

I, PLEASE, ask you guys to go online e help us with the #SayNoToAppleInBrazil on Twitter, Facebook, or where ever u like.

Here, we love Apple. They've build here two Retails already and I think we have almost all services of it. It's great, but it's coasting us too much.

Even with our economic crises, other brands are handling it with less profits and been reasonable during it's touth times.

Thank you all for reading and I hope you support us!! #ILuvMacRumors
Holy ****...

I knew it was bad in Brazil (amongst others), but I had no idea!
That's just ridiculous.

Confidence, you can have too much of it. (Apple that is)

If I hear something along those lines of "not in it for the money" or "enabling people" paired with "we strive to do only those things where we can be better than others" one more time...

Glassed Silver:mac

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I don't have loyalty to any brand including Apple anymore. I use a little bit of this and a little bit of that so I don't get caught up exclusively to one eco-system. Think with your head and not your wallet. I read an article the other day about Apple finally breaking into the market in India, I lol'd. Just remember you don't need the latest and the greatest to have a happy and prosperous life.

Reactions: vixenite

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
Wow those are some pretty hefty price increases. The top rMB is now NZ$3169, whereas my invoice from April says $2639. 20% hike overnight! In the same way the iphone 6 is now exactly the same price that I paid for mine in November 2013, having dropped in price when the 6s came out.

It's almost hilarious how Apple can be so successful and be the only computer company in history that puts prices *up*...

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Expect their international sales to dip, I'm surprised that with the premium they charge their products they can't "absorb" the temporary economic gap due to stronger dollars. Crosses fingers and hope it'll fall back to regular price when the release of Skylake rMBP comes by.

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
No, and I’m not being facetious here but we never see a headline like, ‘Apple lowers Mac prices in…………'.
There’ll be one of two reasons for this on an internet forum;
  • It doesn’t generate as many clicks, (or maybe it would?).
  • They never really lower prices like that.
I’m not sure if that’s what I’m getting at. What I mean is that when we hear on the news that the dollar has strengthened, the Apple reaction always seems to be a price increase, (fair enough).
When it weakens we don’t hear about price drops across the board, (why?).

Having said that the article says;
Apple reports its quarterly earnings in U.S. dollars, and routinely adjusts its prices in foreign countries due to currency exchange rates that are beyond its control. Australia, Canada and Europe have faced similar price increases this year.
Mind you routinely doesn’t mean regularly and it doesn’t guarantee an adjustment that is favourable for consumers.
I can ensure you that the lack of headlines about Apple lowering prices isn't because it doesn't generate as many clicks. I write for MacRumors and I could care less about how many clicks an article gets. I cover things even slightly newsworthy.

Your other reason is correct. Apple lowering prices to adjust for currency fluctuations simply doesn't happen all that often. Here's a few MacRumors articles from 2011 when several foreign currencies were strengthening against the U.S. dollar:

Matheus Dilon

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
First, keep in mind Apple doesn't directly pay these Chinese workers in their currency, whatever they use, they need to order and pay Foxconn, who might keep the same USD price. Second, I don't know, is it the USD that is very strong or every other currency being weak? I'm not a professional in economy, so I might be wrong on this.
I'm still an economy student, but think this way. Foxconn pays it's supply chain and employees with yuan. If the dollar gets stronger (or the yuan gets weaker), Apple needs to pay less dollar money to keep running Foxconn's production! Because It becomes cheaper. I know they do a contract, but in the future, if the economic conditions stays the same, Apple can bargain a lower price production.

Just for the record, Yuan is getting weaker, and it's going to happen a serious crise over there during the next years and the dollar are getting stronger because of it's economy returning to normal.

ndolebay

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Difficult economic here in China,but Apple products sell pretty well, they are cheap compared to housing

Matheus Dilon

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
Be reasonable!!! Dell, Microsoft, LG, Acer, and others are not overpaying it's products because of Brazil conditions like Apple. Ok, we're in crises, but what do you think it's going to happen if every single company rises it's price overnight to get some? If I were franchisee of Apple in Brazil, I'd consider to close it fast!! Black market are going to EXPLODE in Brazil!!

EnzaKnight

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
$2399 for the new MacBook is cost prohibitive and will have an effect on market share. Made even worse with news today that the NZD is rebounding against the USD. I wonder if they will decrease the price 2% (NOT). Dumb move Apple. There is a price point and you've just blown it !!!

Reactions: Sandstorm

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Prices raised in Australia too. I remember the base 27-Inch starter at AUD$1999 but now it starts at AUD$2799, that's really expensive.