Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Would you be ok with if someone is taking 30% + Taxes of what your earning?

If I use the infrastructure they built that enables me to reach those customers, why shouldn't I expect to pay a commission to Apple? Do you think Apple doesn't pay Best Buy a cut of the sales for every Apple product sold at Best Buy? Or you think Best Buy should provide the retail space for free?

If you want to argue 30% is too high, that is another thing. But situation here is Epic not wanting to pay Apple a commission in using the App Store.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
In which universe did Apple "hand " Epic a billion people? Does Apple pay for all Epic's advertising? Does Apple give Epic free top-of-the-list app placement in the store? Does Apple use Epic games in advertising of Apple products to entice people to play the game?

Apart from being the delivery mechanism, just wondering how Apple handed Epic all these customers?

The universe we all occupy.

You do know that in order for Epic to have people to sell their product to, Apple has to build, design, market, and deliver iPhones and supporting software right?

Apple created a platform with a billion users (or however many iPhones there are). Epic had right around nothing to do with that.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Well, I was going to say basically the same thing so I won't. Not sure why people don't understand this. When I make a product that I sell at Walmart, do I get to assign pricing? NOPE! and does walmart pay me what they are charging customers? NOPE! Not sure how this is any different.

Again, you don't have to go to walmart to sell your product to a mom for example. A mom can buy from Target too.
BUT with with iOS you have only ONE option if you want to make a app / game for iphone. For iphone there's only one way or the highway. This is the issue.
With google you can buy from several stores. With iOS there's only appstore.
Nobody gives a crap about fortnite on iOS including epic since they used it to prove a point knowingly that will get banned.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Just for context, Apple has said this from the beginning. The judge pointed out (yesterday) Epic could restore the App store functionality in the mean time and it wouldn't affect the trial and it wouldn't leave their base of iOS users hung out to dry - and if Epic wins they get the money. Epic said....no!?? - still don't see why they would do that, Epic looks bad there.

Their mobile users are very upset (Fortnite Reddit for some angles on their thoughts) with iOS users going to different games and some to platforms.

Last edited:

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
If epic really values their customers, they would remove IAP on their app and let the legal proceedings play out in court. If they win, they win and apple would be forced to pay out. But if they lose, it would be terrible PR for them.
That would be the smart thing to do but Tim Sweeney seems very definite on not reverting their update.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Sorry Epic, I'm taking Apples side with this one. You tried to skirt the rules, when Apple refused you started this silly lawsuit.

And before anyone chimes in with "bUt 3o%!1!" I'm well aware, I'm a developer and completely fine with the 30% rule, every store has it not just Apple and it gets you a secure place to sell your app, a ratings system, transaction system for payments that you're not liable for should it get hacked, tax information, etc.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
30% seems too high honestly.

You have no concept of the internal resources and costs Apple has historically had to and continues to incur to operate the infrastructure that so many developers have come to create hundreds of thousands of jobs and livelihoods off of.

It's no different than a wealthy investor getting 30% of a company after contributing a customer base, expertise or other resources to further the success of a business.

LN3000

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
In which universe did Apple "hand " Epic a billion people? Does Apple pay for all Epic's advertising? Does Apple give Epic free top-of-the-list app placement in the store? Does Apple use Epic games in advertising of Apple products to entice people to play the game?

Apart from being the delivery mechanism, just wondering how Apple handed Epic all these customers?
Would those customers be there if the iPhone didn't exist? What if Apple hadn't helped build up the ecosystem where developers could easily distribute their games to all those customers?
To sit back and pretend that Apple hasn't done anything for mobile gaming is pure ignorance.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The universe we all occupy.

You do know that in order for Epic to have people to sell their product to, Apple has to build, design, market, and deliver iPhones and supporting software right?

Apple created a platform with a billion users (or however many iPhones there are). Epic had right around nothing to do with that.
I have an iPhone and I don't have a single Epic game on it, so apparently, having an iPhone is not the same as being an Epic customer.

smithy12

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

Apple gave epic the platform ( App Store ) to sell games and amass a great following

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
You have no concept of the internal resources and costs Apple has historically had to and continues to incur to operate the infrastructure that so many developers have come to create hundreds of thousands of jobs and livelihoods off of.

It's no different than a wealthy investor getting 30% of a company after contributing a customer base, expertise or other resources to further the success of a business.
Yeah, all the internal resources and costs Apple has to incur...so many that they are the richest company in the world. Poor Apple, I hope they can recover. /s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.