Apple Rebate BS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kymac, Jul 29, 2007.

1. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

I'm also very irritated with apple rebates. I recieved this email this morning. They're saying that theyre missing every part of what was supposed to be sent. If that were true, the envolope i sent would have been empty. I havent called yet, but i was just wondering what i should say, or how i should say it, but they lost all my information and how will they believe me.

2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Did you make copies of everything you sent in?

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Call and be nice and firm. They can confirm that you orderd what you did. They may give you a rebate w/o all that stuff if you're persistent enough.

This isn't some 3rd party rebate thing. They'll make it right.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually most rebates are 3rd party rebates these days, most everyone seems to pack up all the mail and ship it off to some rebate clearing house in India (or elsewhere) these days.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Most everyone, or most of the smart people that actually take the time to send in the rebates?

There was a report from a company (don't remember which one) that said that less than thirty percent of buyers actually submit all of the rebates after a purchase. Pretty sad...

7. mrbrown macrumors 6502

Actually there's a company in Minnesota that takes up an entire ZIP Code (Young America, MN) that does nothing but rebates.

8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I didn't have any problems with my rebate, i doubt apple, or any third party would lose your rebate stuff on purpose.
    Maybe a shady mailman stole your rebate forms :D

9. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

I checked the apple rebate site and it says that my rebate was processed and fulfilled.

The check was issued on June 6, but i have not received anything in the mail?
    Did something go wrong or should i keep waiting?

10. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

then how would they know i even applied if it didnt send?

11. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Your guess is as good as mine :confused:
    But as NYMacattack said, did you make copies of your UPCs?
    I'm sure if you call whoever is in charge of rebates, and tell them what happened, they would take copies. Just be very firm with them, because they might tell you that by failing to properly send in the rebate the first time (even though it wasn't your fault), you can't do it again, and there's nothing you can do.
    Good luck, i hope you work this out :)

12. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Good luck finding an actual person to talk too btw. I tried to chase someone down over my printer rebate that was never 'received' (yeah right) and I could never get a straight answer.

13. munckee macrumors 65816

Yeah, mine claims to be processed and sent too but I haven't gotten it yet either. It's really annoying.

14. mox123 macrumors 6502

hmmm i just sent in my iPod nano and printer rebates in yesterday with certified mail that comes with a tracking number....crossing my fingers...

15. mbreuer macrumors newbie

So I carefully sent in the printer and ipod rebate forms form my wife. Sent the original with the Ipod, copy with printer. Today, I get an email that there was no UPC supplied with the Ipod rebate, and we'd need to fill out and send an affidavit to get the rebate. I called, pointed out that they already had the copy (printer rebate) and they must have lost the original. Said if I sent the affidavit I'd do a charge-back for the $200. The CSR then said they could just link the two rebates together and no need to send anything else in.

Anecdotally, based on what I've heard from other people who've taken advantage of these rebates is that the seem to be losing an awful lot of UPC codes.

We'll see what happens.

16. falsecathedrals macrumors member

apple lost my ipod upc, and then sent me a lost upc form. if you have your copy of the reciept then you can call apple and get the same form sent.

17. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I had a rebate issue, I kept calling for 3 weeks and faxing, still nothing. I emailed apple at sjobs@apple.com explaining the situation, and 3 days later (I was out of town, the probably left messages before the 3 days), I got an email with someone's phone number to discuss it. I called and they had straightened it all out for me. This has restored my faith in apple's customer service (their rebate dept, not so much....)

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Rebates wouldn't be shipped around the world; they're not phone calls. Most rebates are sent to poor areas of the US where property and labor are cheap. Ever notice how your rebates are sent to a random small town in the middle of nowhere?

19. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

I hate rebates, I have been scammed over and over on them. Always saying were missing something to make it invalid.

I finally got to the point where I refuse to buy something with a rebate. Take it off the price immediatly and I will buy. if not, then stick it

20. msheredy macrumors newbie

I have had he biggest problem with the buy a mac get an ipod. Here is what has happend to me so far.

1. Submitted my information through the website
    2. Mailed in all the UPCs, receipts, certificate through snail mail as required. I did, as always, make copies of all items.
    3. Check status online and all was good and in processing.
    4. Received a rejection e-mail stating the sales invoice was missing.
    5. Called the 800 number and was able to talk to someone. Was able to fax over the invoice.
    6. Received another e-mail stating the iPod UPC was missing!
    7. Filled out lost UPC afidavit and faxed over along with the reciept again since there was no note that the first fax was received.
    8. Called again to make sure everthing was received and noted who I talked to.
    9. Online status was still showing rejection. Sales reciept is missing from the actual computer! Why wasn't this brought up the very first time???
    10. Fiance called this time (I'm getting really pissed) and got into them real good.
    11. Faxed over again the invoice showing the macbook pro purchase along with everthing else that was previously faxed over!!!
    12. Checked online status—it showed that the claim was processed and fulfilled. Yea!!!
    13. Check it again a couple days ago... Missing UPC labels!!!!! WTF!!!!! I took a screen shot of the acceptance screen to be able to fax them.

This is by far the most terrible experience I have had with Apple and rebates in general. Some say there are third party companies involved but in my eyes it is Apple who hired them so that is a direct reflection on them period. I might even have to submit claims with the Federal Trade Commission. I know I should have declined the ***** stupid iPod.

21. msheredy macrumors newbie

Are you serious??? Does that really work?

22. joebells macrumors 6502

apple handles their own rebates I talked to a guy in the rebate department last year before I sent mine in.

23. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I never had a problem with rebates before but all this chatter here is making me nervous because there's a lot of money involved.

I mailed out my 2 rebates a week and a half ago and there's still nothing on record at Apple's website. How long should I wait before I call them?

24. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

I think you should give them a call in another week if you haven't heard anything yet. Chances are they have received your rebate but just haven't had time to process it because of all the other rebates people have sent in.

I think it was about a week or two after i sent in my rebate that it showed up on their site saying something like received and processing.

I still have not received my rebate in the mail yet though, even though it says fulfilled and they sent the check on July 6. I am waiting 8 weeks (like they said) and if I haven't received it, I'm calling them.

25. munckee macrumors 65816

Update, I just received my rebate check in the mail today. Be patient, seems they're on the way.