Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
bearda said:
Well, I just spent 20 minutes on hold with Apple support, only to be disconnected with no warning. After going through Dell's battery recall program with my office laptop, I can honestly say that Dell support kicks the crap out of Apple's.

Andrew Beard

I just got through. I called as my serial is in the range yet being rejected.
Answer is it is not a Sony

... other makes are in the same number range and are safe.

It's a shame there isn't a way for folk to ascertain if they have a Sony or not.

Support was excellent and the wait was about 12 minutes at 6 p.m. EST.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
pubwvj said:
I did the battery validator and it told me my computer serial number is valid and acceptable for the program but my battery serial number is invalid. That is the (1 digit, 1 letter, 3 digits) number on the battery in the indicated spot and it is in the range they specify on their site. Something is screwed up at Apple. This makes my fourth current customer service problem that is ongoing with Apple.

You need to type in the entire serial # for it to validate.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Dustintendo said:
mine still isnt working!!!!!

mine is a 6c531 and its not working:mad:
As I wrote before: Call Apple support and they will help you. they punched in my numbers, got it fixed in a jiffy. Ok, I was on hold for about 20 minutes before I actually got to talk to the support. Well there it was done in less than 3 minutes.
Apple has one million people trying to access the same servers at the same time. No wonder the servers get a bit weird.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My two batteries are 3K504 and 6N604 so they are within range of the recall. But do I understand that only certain batteries within that range are affected?

Correction: One batter did not qualify, which is ok because it has 2 load cycles on it because it's brand new. The other with over 50 load cycles and not giving me more than 2 h 50 m is going bye bye. ;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is GREAT service from Apple.
Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering a replacement battery. Your request (Order number xxxxxxxx) is currently being processed.

It will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks for your replacement battery to arrive. Please note that shipping time may vary due to availability of your battery model.

Battery Exchange Program details and an FAQ may be found at:

http://support.apple.com/batteryprogram

We appreciate your cooperation with this exchange program.

Apple
Which translates to:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering a replacement battery. Your request (Order number xxxxxxxx) is currently being processed.

It will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks for your replacement battery to arrive, not because we actually need 4 to 6 weeks to ship a battery 400 miles, but we'd like to see if anymore explode, and we enjoy making you nervous.

Please don't call us, those little kids are trying as fast as they can to make the 1.8 million batteries that may catch fire while you sleep.

We appreciate your cooperation with this exchange program. We sort of force the issue because if they do explode now it's on you. But look, it's a serious issue, but not serious enough to make you wait 4 to 6 weeks.

Apple Out.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
A week ago when my Macbook Pro 15"
had a battery recall, the wait time was
nowhere NEAR 4 to 6 weeks. I filled the
form out on the website in the afternoon.
The next morning my new battery arrived
via courier service. Then after lunch I
packed up my old battery in the convenient
return-shipping stuff provided and called
the courier. They were at my house to pick
it up in under an hour. It was less than 24
hours between finding out there was a
recall and having the whole thing finished.

It was pretty sweet.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I'm affected...but hey at least I get a new battery.

1dterbeest said:
A week ago when my Macbook Pro 15"
had a battery recall, the wait time was
nowhere NEAR 4 to 6 weeks. I filled the
form out on the website in the afternoon.
The next morning my new battery arrived
via courier service. Then after lunch I
packed up my old battery in the convenient
return-shipping stuff provided and called
the courier. They were at my house to pick
it up in under an hour. It was less than 24
hours between finding out there was a
recall and having the whole thing finished.

It was pretty sweet.
The service was sweet when something happend to me with my nano...I should be gettting a new one tomorrow:D

Hope the battery comes just as fast...I just filled out the form online and it qualifies!

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
leekohler said:
Do you use your battery a lot? I have a 2 year old iBook G4 1Ghz and my charge is still great. I can still get 5-6 hours out if it and I use it daily and quite extensively.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I've had my iBook G4 for one year and it holds 68% of its charge. I was almost about to buy a new battery, but now I get to save $130 and put it towards 1GB of RAM.

F

freakonguitar

:( its too bad they don't have a local apple store here!!! :S I don't know why they can't open one up in vancouver!!!!.. all we have is apple dealers

MrFrankly

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Well, it seems like the serial numbers have changed yet again. They now include some end numbers. That means you only have to guess 3 characters for a new battery if yours isn't eligable.

JoeCanadian

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2002
That explains it then!

MrFrankly said:
Well, it seems like the serial numbers have changed yet again. They now include some end numbers. That means you only have to guess 3 characters for a new battery if yours isn't eligable.

My iBook battery is in the range (6C519 - 6C552) but does not end with the newly added characters (S9WA, S9WC or S9WD). I guess I don't have a Sony battery after all. Thanks for letting us know of the newly updated numbers.

JC

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I originally posted this under the wrong thread.... so let me re-post (with apologies).

This battery recall thing is still a little unclear to me. Does the battery potentially catch fire while the computer is in use or while it is kept on the charger (even if the computer is off and cool)? The battery has no issues as far as losing power too early - I use this battery off the charger quite frequently.
My PB 12" (from November 2003) is eligible and so is the battery (a NEW battery I bought from Apple just under a year ago). I mean, I'll take another NEW battery free, but just wondering if it's really necessary...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
deputy_doofy said:
I originally posted this under the wrong thread.... so let me re-post (with apologies).

This battery recall thing is still a little unclear to me. Does the battery potentially catch fire while the computer is in use or while it is kept on the charger (even if the computer is off and cool)? The battery has no issues as far as losing power too early - I use this battery off the charger quite frequently.
My PB 12" (from November 2003) is eligible and so is the battery (a NEW battery I bought from Apple just under a year ago). I mean, I'll take another NEW battery free, but just wondering if it's really necessary...

Whichever battery is eligible for trade, please do.

Injuries have been fewer apparently than with the Dell machines, but your machine could overheat. As with anything, how much is convenience worth if somehow your car or house caught fire or you were burnt?

DrumaChick420

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
DrummerLand, Connecticut
I called Apple yesterday at around 2PM Eastern time as my battery falls within the recall range, it won't accept my serial number on the website. 20 minute wait time on the phone....

He told me to wait for a few hours and that they were trying to fix the problem on their website. I did get a confirmation from him that indeed I needed a battery replacement.

I don't get why some of the reps can manually enter in the customers numbers and fill the recall while others can't. He told me he could not take my info off the phone. So I waited a few hours, still didn't work and this morning it still doesn't work.

The rep did tell me though that the recall is only a 90 day thing, which I find odd...

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
deputy_doofy said:

If your battery is affected. get it changed for two reasons....

1) Its a safety hazard, and thats why they are being recalled.
2) you get a new battery out of it.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Appreciate the quick responses. In no way am I willing to risk fire damage to a house, car, or anything. In fact, I put my battery replacement request in yesterday, using Apple's online form.
However, paranoia now has me wondering HOW this battery might go up in flames. Can I leave my computer off while at work, but still plugged in? Is the risk because the battery remains on the charger, "overcharges," and then explodes, or is the problem that battery usage gets TOO hot?

BartoK

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Good news for me! This breathes some new life into my iBook G3 that had a G4 replacement battery in it. 5 years old an still ticking like new!

guez

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
Digitalclips said:
I just got through. I called as my serial is in the range yet being rejected.
Answer is it is not a Sony

... other makes are in the same number range and are safe.

It's a shame there isn't a way for folk to ascertain if they have a Sony or not.

Support was excellent and the wait was about 12 minutes at 6 p.m. EST.

And yet Apple's site still unambigously states:

"If the first 5 digits of your battery’s 12-digit serial number fall within the noted ranges, please order a replacement battery immediately."

avah12

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
Yeterday I got an Apple support rep to accept my battery since the website wasn't working. Now I'm wondering if since my last digits don't fall within the new range, if they will recall my recall. I hope not, as I would love a new battery.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
jessica. said:
This is GREAT service from Apple.

Which translates to:

Dear Apple Customer,

It will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks for your replacement battery to arrive, not because we actually need 4 to 6 weeks to ship a battery 400 miles, but we'd like to see if anymore explode, and we enjoy making you nervous.

Please don't call us, those little kids are trying as fast as they can to make the 1.8 million batteries that may catch fire while you sleep.

We appreciate your cooperation with this exchange program. We sort of force the issue because if they do explode now it's on you. But look, it's a serious issue, but not serious enough to make you wait 4 to 6 weeks.

Apple Out.

I'm presuming no one else has quoted you yet as they choose to ignore what you have said!

These batterys are not really 'unsafe'. They merely have the potential to become unsafe if they contain contamination and short out. The batterys being recalled originate from 2003 till the present day!

How many Apple laptops have set on fire?

The reason for the recall is a mere precaution following Dells recall and investigations, it takes 4-6 weeks as they are having to exchange millions of batterys so stop moaning and giving them grief.

Your getting a new battery out of it - be happy

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
One thing that I would like to know is when they send you the new battery they also send a box with prepaid postage to send back your old battery, do you need to send the old one back? I know that they are a "safty hazard" but it can't be that bad seeing as it was something like 9 in a million that have had a problem. Also, I could probably (like many of you) use a spare battery in a pinch. Any thoughts?

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
godbout said:
One thing that I would like to know is when they send you the new battery they also send a box with prepaid postage to send back your old battery, do you need to send the old one back? I know that they are a "safty hazard" but it can't be that bad seeing as it was something like 9 in a million that have had a problem. Also, I could probably (like many of you) use a spare battery in a pinch. Any thoughts?

It would seem to me that not returning the battery would vitiate the purpose of the exchange. Certainly after you accept the exchange any consequential damages you might incur (and most likely damages to others) would be your legal responsibility. (You knowingly used a product which had a known hazard and for which you had recieved an appropriate replacement). Finally isn't just a bit dishonest? Do you really covet the spare that much?

In direct answer Apple could bill you for the replacement and use all means available to collect the dept including imparing your credit rating. Would they go to the trouble? I don't know, but they might.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.